Around the World

3. "See Me Seeing You" Canada/Matthew

:3: See Me Seeing You (Canada/Matthew)

He didn’t understand it.

He couldn’t understand it.

But then again…he wasn’t complaining.

Unlike most countries, Ireland didn’t treat him, Canada, as if he was invisible.

In fact, there were times, when she acted like he was the only country around. Like he was important. Like he was actually important to her.

But…

Maybe that was just his imagination. Maybe that was just wistful thinking. Maybe Ireland was just being nice to him. She was nice to everyone, even to the countries that—clearly—annoyed her, so why would he be different?

He wasn’t special or powerful, not like her or other countries.

So why?

That question started to plague his mind so often that he finally gathered the courage and asked her one day when she was sleeping over his house; the two were admiring the stars from his backyard.

“Um…Bridget?” he called to her hesitantly, shyly from beside her on the grass.

“Hm?” Ireland peered to her friend with raised brows in curiosity.

“Wh-Why are you…” Canada fell silent, blushing and fumbling with his hands.

The redhead’s brows furrowed and she placed a small hand on the blonde’s shoulder. “What’s the matter, Matthew?” she asked worriedly. He had been acting weird all day. Was he ill? Oh, she hoped not.

Biting his lip, gathering his courage, he looked to her determinedly. He needed to know. “Bridget, why do you like me?”

Ireland blinked, taken aback. “…Like you?” she said confused. What did he mean?

“Yes,” Canada nodded curtly. He frowned and looked away. “I-I just don’t understand why…why you act so kind to me. You pay more attention to me th-than you do Brother or other countries. Wh-Why? Wha-What makes me so special?”

Listening intently and studying his face, Ireland softened, a sympathetic frown on her light face.

Ireland knew Canada had low self-esteem and went often unseen by others and got picked on a lot because of America, but she had never thought that such things would cause him to doubt how she felt about him.

“Oh, Matty,” she cooed and slid hr arms around him, hugging him tenderly. Immediately, he blushed, his blue eyes widening from the sudden physical contact and from the little pet name she had bestowed him—that always made him flustered. The European kissed his cheek and looked at him warmly. “I like you because you’re you. You’re very special,” She smiled a bit sadly. “And it saddens me that you don’t see what I see.”

Gasping softly, Canada stared at her in surprise, especially when he noted there was only sincerity and affection in her eyes.

A huge smile broke out on his face before he wrapped his arms around her slender frame, returning her embrace. He rested his chin on her soldier, blushing softly. “Thank you, Bridget.”

Ireland had no idea how much those words meant to him.