Status: Slow Active

I Remember The Day She Told Me It's Over

Trick-Or-Treat

The air was crisp and cool, not quite what you'd normally expect but surprisingly what was desired this time of year. Today is Halloween and I was surprised at how many people like myself had left buying pumpkins for Jack-O-Lanters to the last minute.

Mr. Bones Pumpkin Patch on the West end was crawling with people, including celebrities and their children, and I suddenly felt lonely.

"Aunt Bailey, what about this one?"

I glanced down at my seven year old nephew and smiled. Even with the lack of prime pumpkins, he'd been able to choose the perfect one. "That's a nice one, Xander."

"Mine." I turned and watched my four year old niece waddle towards me, her dark brown pig tails bouncing lightly as she clutched onto one of the smalled yet cutest pumpkins I'd ever seen.

"She shops like her father," Trish laughed as she brushed her fingertips over the top of Ava's head. The motherly touch. I smiled at my sister and her two kids, hoping that maybe one day, I'd have the same thing.

"Do you have one, Xander?" Trish knelt between her kids to examine the pumpkin her son was pointing at. I couldn't help but smile as I reached for my camera in my purse.

"Hey guys, picture time."

They all turned to me with loving smiles, the kids clutching their pumpkins happily as I clicked the shutter. After gathering up and picking out our own pumpkins Trish and I hearded the kids to the parking lot and to their car.

"Hey listen, Bail. I know it's short notice but do you think you could do me a huge favor tonight?"

I side glanced, catching the hopeful look in her eye. "Yeah, I suppose."

She smiled. "You're not even gonna ask what it is first?"

"I'm free tonight, Trish. What do you need?" I asked.

She juggled her pumpkin and Ava's pumpkin and managed to hit the trunk key on her car keys. The lid popped open and Xander hurried towards it.

"I was wondering if you would take the kids around tonight while Craig and I go to dinner. We haven't been out in a long time."

Ava tried to help Xander put his pumpkin in the trunk but only ended up throwing a fit when he didn't want her touching his pumpkin.

"Hey, shush," Trish scolded her daughter as we placed our pumpkins into the trunk as well and closed the lid.

"Thank you so much."

I nodded and helped Xander put on his buckle while Trish strapped Ava into her seat. Before long we were back on the road headed for Trish and Craigs. Once we got there, I grabbed the kids' costumes and loaded them back into Trish's car leaving her and Craig with the lambo for a few hours adding a nice kick to their night out.

When we got back to my place the kids almost imediately abandonned their pumpkins and costumes entirely as they headed straight for the couch and the big screen TV. "Hey guys," I yelled at them as I kicked my front door closed with my foot. "Some help please."

Xander returned with a frown on his face. I handed him his pumpkin and costume and he took them to the kitchen, setting them up on the counter on the other side of the bar counter before disappearing again. I could hear the TV click on and before long I was listening to the ever familiar scooby doo theme song. I smiled and set to work making something quick for dinner. Afterwards I laid some news paper out on the floor and placed the pumpkins on top of it.

Xander was about to head for the TV again when I stopped him. "Hey bud, let's get these carved then it's time to get ready to get dressed and go out."

He hesitated for a moment before hurrying over towards Ava and I, dropping to his knees. "Only if I get to cut my own this year."

I locked eyes with him before nodding in agreement. "Alright, but promise me you'll be careful?"

"I promise," he said with an honest smile as I handed him the rounded special pumpkin carving knife. I cut into the tops, making lids and cleaning them off as both kids eagerly dug thier hands into the vegetable's slimy innards, pulling them out with a giggle.

I was almost literally elbow deep in my own pumpkin when my cell rang. I reached over with my free hand and answered it without looking at the screen. "Hey,"

"Hey, Bail. I was just phoning to see what you were doing tonight."

I stopped digging and sighed. "Zack, I'm busy tonight."

"Oh," he seemed genuinly disappointed. "Alright then, well hopefully you have fun and I'll talk to you later."

"Thanks, have a good night Zacky." I hung up the phone and placed it back on the floor beside me. A feeling of guilt washing over me for the first time ever.

"Is this clean enough?" Xander interrupted my thoughts as he tipped his pumpkin towards me, allowing me to see inside and guage my answer.

"Sure is." I replied with a smile.

An hour later we had the pumpkins carved, the kids were cleaned up and in their costumes and we were ready to head out the front door. Well, almost.

"Auntie it's too tight." Xander wiggled in his Robin Hood costume, tugging at the belt.

"Well let me help Ava, then I'll help you out." I'd only had them for a few hours and already I was pooped out. I admired Trish more and more every day.

"Okay, Ava," I placed a small tiara onto her head and gently tugged the elastic string down under her chubby chin. "Grab your halloween bags."

She waddled over to the corner in her Tinker Bell costume and picked up the black go green bags her mother had decorated for them. I wandered over to Xander and loosened up his belt before hearding them both out the front door.

I carried two of the jack-o-lanterns, Xander carried his own and Ava carried the bags as we headed to the front gate.

"We'll set them up over here." I pointed to the rock wall near the entrance to my place. "Then everyone who drives by can see them."

It didn't take long to set them up size wise, place small battery operated tea light candles inside them then load up into the car.

We stopped at a few houses in Hombly hills before moving further downtown.

"I don't wanna go anywhere here." Xander informed me as he watched some of the ghosts and ghouls walking the sidewalks.

"That's fine, bud." I nudged his knee assuringly, "we'll go somewhere else."

Somewhere else landed us in Huntington Beach. I wasn't sure if it was a subconscious or conscious decision but we ended up there none the less where even Ava took an interest in the outside world from her carseat in the back.

Before long I was parked in front of Zack's house, wondering what the hell I was doing exactly.

Xander looked at me curiously. "Who's house is this?"

"It's my friend's." I assured him. "Here, I'll get your sister out then we can go down this whole block."

I stood partway down the walkway as Xander tugged Ava along behind him until they reached the front door. Xander, who was naturally taller rang the doorbell.

"Trick-or-treat," they both chorused out happily. I watched eagerly, tucking my hands into my sweater pockets. The outside light came on and the door opened revealing a very, very attractive Vampire.

"Hey guys," he greeted them with a smile, dropping a bag of candy and a can of soda into each of the kid's bags.

"Thanks," they both squealed before turning back towards me. Zacky stood up straight and for the first time in a long time we locked eyes.

"Bailey?"

"Can we go to the next house?"

I glanced over at Zack's neighbors, watching a small group of kids leave their front door before I nodded in approval. "Watch your sister."

Xander took Ava by the hand as they wandered across Zacky's lawn.

When I looked up Zack was damn near standing in front of me. "Jesus," my hand flew up to my heart as if it would stop the erratic beating.

He didn't even seem phased by the fact that a Vampire had literally almost been my demise. "Bailey, what are you doing here? I thought you were busy?"

My eyes locked on his piercing ones and for a moment I wanted to forget everything and just slip into his arms, but thankfully my common sense kicked in. "I'm just taking my niece and nephew trick-or-treating."

"And that brought you all the way to Huntington?"

I shrugged and glanced over at the kids as they made the front step.

"Huntington is a little more friendly than L.A." I glanced back up at him. "Xander didn't even wanna get outta the car, and I don't blame him."

"Yeah." Zacky took a step closer and I caught a wiff of his cologne. "So what are you seriously doing later tonight?"

I glanced at my watch. It was only six thirty. "I don't think too much of anything, why?"

"Because I'm having a Halloween party tonight and I want you to come."

"Zack, we can't really - "

"But we can, Bailey. Everyone knows I fucked up. But we're okay now, right?"

"Look, Auntie," Ava squealed at me as they hurried across the lawn back towards us. I moved from in front of Zack for a moment to scoop her up into my arms.

"Everyone else only gives out small ones," Xander beamed as he opened up his bag for me to see their latest gain. Two full size chocolate bars. "Can we go to more places around here?"

I nodded before glancing back at Zack. "Do I need to dress up?"

He grinned and took a step back. "Dress up, Bail. Come have fun and relax for a night."

Something I needed greatly. But I doubted it'd be stress free.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's past Halloween but what the hell.
Thanks for reading <333