The Game of Seduction

Don't You Trust Me?

-- Ian's POV

Kia called Jess and was telling her to come get her, but something suddenly came over me and I told a little lie. I told to her that I had just thrown her dress into the wash, even though her dress was on the floor, at the foot of the bed. She couldn’t see the dress from where she sat on the bed. I managed to inconspicuously kick the black clumped up dress under the bed. I convinced her to have some breakfast first and call for a ride later or I could drive her.

I gave Kia a large T-shirt to wear for the meantime. While Kia was washing up in the bathroom, I quickly tossed her dress into the washing machine.

I was frying up some scrambled eggs and bacon when Kia walked out into the kitchen. The T-shirt was really big on her. I should have given her a bottom-up shirt. That would have looked sexier. There was something about girls wearing my clothes that I find very... appealing.

Kia looked around the kitchen and into the living room. She looked impressed with the huge apartment. It had a modern, clean look to it. It’s a bit too big in my opinion, but my dad likes luxury.

"Isn’t it a safety hazard to be shirtless while cooking?" Kia asked as she came around the kitchen island.

“Are you worried about me or the food?” I asked, glancing over at her.

"Both?" Kia replied in question as she took a peek at what I was cooking. “You know, cereal would have been just fine."

"I felt like bacon and eggs." It wasn't just for her. I was still a bit hungry. The bowl of cereal earlier didn't quite do it.

Usually, when a girl slept over, which rarely happens, I try to have them in and out before morning. I would send them out with some cereal or nothing at all. The only person that I ever cooked for was my dad. He never cooked, before or after the divorce. He's a busy man; a doctor that works night shifts a lot. I rarely get to see him and especially now since he's got a girlfriend.

We watched some TV while we ate at the kitchen island. We didn’t really talk much, but Kia did say that the food was good.

I finished eating first and went to stuff Kia's dress, along with a couple of dark shirts that I had washed with it, into the drier. When I came back into the kitchen, she had just finished talking on the phone. Jess was coming to pick her up. Guess she didn’t want a ride from me.

I was rising off the frying pan and putting stuff into the dishwasher while Kia still ate away. I didn’t think she was such a slow eater. Maybe she actually didn't like my cooking.

"So... we only made out?" Kia asked all of a sudden.

“Yea, pretty much." I turned around to look at her. She was staring down at her half-eaten toast and last strip of bacon. "We rolled around and got a bit naked. I told you that earlier.” She kept her eyes down, just poking at her food with her fork. “You don't believe me?”

“It's... hard to believe." She brushed her long brown hair aside as she looked up, but didn’t meet my eyes. "I can't remember anything after you scared John off."

I leaned back against the counter and crossed my arms over my bare chest. “You really don't trust me at all, do you?”

Kia finally looked at me. “Well, do you trust me?"

I stared at her for a couple of seconds before answering, "Yes, I do."

"You think I would never lie to you?”

"Kia, I know you lie to me all the time." That comment made her shift uncomfortably in her seat. "That's what makes this game, right? I trust that if I asked you to tell me the truth, you would."

"Alright then, was what you said really what happened?"

"Yes," I answered, staring her straight in the eyes.

"Alright, good enough I guess," Kia shifted her eyes and went back to her food. "It's not like I could remember anyways."

"Hah," I laughed humorlessly. "Basically, you're saying that you still don't believe me."

Kia stared back at me with alertness and slight confusion.

"Well… you're right. I totally lied and bullshited all that stuff about trust. I'm a filthy little liar," I said with a bit of a crooked smile. "I’ve probably lied 10 times since you woke up."

We stared at each other for a moment before Kia spoke. "Why do you do?"

"Do what?" I asked curtly.

"When people don't believe you, you give up and admit to it anyways."

I looked away, "It doesn't matter." That's how I do things.

"Yes, it does. You're admitting to being a liar, where as otherwise, you're just someone that's hard for others to believe. There is a difference."

I turned back to her with a hard stare."So, you're saying it's hard to believe that things that I say, but you don't believe I'm a liar?"

"Yes."

"Do you hear yourself?" I ask, half smiling. "That doesn't make sense."

"Yes, it does. Just stop pretending that you're lying when you're not."

"Kia, a lie is a lie." I leaned my arms against the island counter, looking straight into her eyes. "It doesn't matter if you're simply lying or lying about lying."

"Ok, whatever," she shrugged. "Do as you please."

"Always have," I said with a slight smirk.

Kia’s eyes narrowed on me. Her lips were pursed like she was holding back something or angry, or perhaps the mix of both.

We were staring each other down. I was waiting for her to burst and just say something when the door bell suddenly rang.