The Game of Seduction

Forever Warned

-- 'Present time' (mid-April), the morning after the drug incident with John and sleeping over at Ian's apartment

Kia and Rachel both climbed out of the car. Looking up at Jess' big house, Kia suddenly felt nervous. Telling Rachel about what happened last night with Ian and John the date-rapist was pretty easy, but having to tell Jess… that's something totally different. When it came to stuff like this, Jess gets very worried. She's very protective of her friends and especially stern towards Kia, which she finds a bit offensive. It is like as if it’s expected that Kia would get herself into some kind of trouble. Not always true.

Kia stopped halfway up the front steps. "Rach, maybe you should just drop me off at home." She knew that Jess was going to scold her, call her stupid and perhaps forbid her from going back to Mix or ever seeing Ian again –even though Kia could never be forbidden to anything that she wanted to do. Sometimes Jess just frightens her, like a parent to a child, and it's weird that the only feelings of being parented are from Jess.

Kia's parents had always been busy and her grandmother was the one that had raised her and her older brother, Pete. Since the 7th grade, the passing of her grandmother, Kia and Pete were a duo, watching out for each other. Their parents just continued with their busy lives, as if separate from their children. Their mother was a registered nurse that mainly worked late night shifts and their father was the head chef and co-owner of a restaurant in a casino and worked late as well. Pete had left for college two years ago and Kia was pretty much by herself. Her parents trusted her enough, or didn't care enough, to let her do whatever she wanted. Kia really owes it to her friends for keeping her from the dark side.

"Your stuff’s inside and we're supposed to go shopping for Greg's birthday present later," Rachel reminded her, looking down from at her from the top of the steps. "We're celebrating tonight, remember?"

No, Kia totally forgot. "Yeah, but can you please not tell Jess what really happened last night?"

"Oh, I'm not, but you are."

"Okay, we’ll both just not say anything," Kia smiled with a shrug.

"No, no, no," Rachel shook her head, "I just don’t want to be the one to tell her, but I will tell her that you're hiding something big if you don't tell her. That would only make things worse."

“Augh, Rachel. Please… She’s gonna yell at me,” Kia stared up at her with puppy eyes.

“It’s not like she’s going to spank you. And really, anything you make up would probably sound worse than what actually happened. What better reason could you possibly have for sleeping over at Ian’s?”

The front door swung open suddenly, making Kia and Rachel jump. “Yeah, what reason do you have?” Jess asked, glaring down at Kia.

“Geez, why are you so creepy, eavesdropping on people outside?” Kia felt her heart racing, scared.

“You’re the ones that are talking so loud outside my front door. Now who’s creepier?” Jess asked.

“You,” Kia and Rachel replied in unison.

Jess rolled her eyes, “Just get in here.”

Kia and Rachel did as ordered and Jess closed the door behind them. “Now, what the hell happened last night?” Jess had always objected to this game.

Kia was all nervous. She couldn’t afford to have this thing between her and Ian affect anymore of her friendships. Devin and Ryan had already been acting awkward around her.

“Just say it,” Rachel nudged her and Kia turned to glare at her.

“Just spit it out Kia,” Jess crossed her arms in front of her chest. “You’re pissing me off and making me worried. What is it? Are you pregnant?”

“No!” Kia replied quickly. “I told you that I hadn’t hooked up with him or anyone in months. It’s... well,” she sighed. “I was hanging out with that tall blond guy, the one I introduced to you. Remember?”

“Yeah,” Jess answered.

“Well, he turned out to be a perverted bastard. Ian was distracting me and I absentmindedly drank something that he handed me. It happened to have some kind of date rape drug in it or something. I almost left with John –the guy’s name – but Ian saved me.”

“Are you okay?” Jess asked. She was unexpectedly calm, but her expression spelt concerned.

“Yeah, fine. Just feeling a bit hung over. It could be the alcohol or the drug or the mix of both.”

“That’s good. Now, why did Ian take you over to his place instead of calling me or somebody? Did he do anything to you?”

“She doesn’t remember anything,” Rachel cut in.

“Rach,” Kia hissed. “Now you decide to join in on this.”

“What?” Jess looked shocked. “So you don’t know if he did anything to you or not?”

“She did wake up half-naked and not knowing why,” Rachel cut in again.

“Oh my god, Rachel,” Kia said, hitting her in the arm. “Can you please shut up and let me tell my own story?”

“Ow... fine,” Rachel pouted.

“Well, tell it then,” Jess urged.

“Ok, I did wake up a little naked, but he didn’t intend to do anything when he took me over to his place. He wanted to take me home but people were home so he was going to let me sleep over and just that. He said I kind of came on to him. It was probably because I was totally intoxicated, but nothing really happened. He didn’t let things go too far because he...” Kia was giving herself a bit of a shock to actually believe this, “he didn’t want to take advantage of me.”

Jess and Rachel just stared at her.

“So he told you nothing really,” Jess put in air quotes, “happened and you believed him.”

“She apparently trusts Ian,” Rachel stated.

Kia and Jess both glared at her.

“Sorry,” Rachel said before she put a hand over her mouth.

“Yeah, I trust him. At least for this situation I do,” Kia shrugged.

“Alright,” Jess said, simply shrugging.

Kia was confused. “Just alright?” There should be some dramatic reaction.

“If you’re ok, than that’s fine I guess. You know Ian more than we do and no matter what you’re a stubborn brat. I’ve already warned you so many times. I don’t know what else to say. You can decide for yourself. You know, be careful and just be ready for whatever the consequences may be.”

“Oh... ok. Thanks, Jess,” Kia went and gave her a hug. Consequences? This was unexpected. “Uh, so... does anyone else know that I stayed over at Ian’s last night?”

“Just Kyle, Greg and Chelsea since they were with us last night,” Rachel said.

“Where is Chels anyways? Didn’t she sleep over last night?” Kia asked

“Yeah, she went home to get some stuff, but she’s meeting us later at the mall,” Jess said. “Just go get cleaned up, we have to get going soon.”

“Ok,” Kia started for the stairs, but turned back. “Can we not tell anyone else that I stayed over at Ian’s, especially Devin?”

“He might already know,” Rachel voiced.

“What? Why?” Kia got all nervous again. Devin, like Jess, strongly opposed this interaction between Ian and her. She didn’t want things to get worse.

“Guys gossip too, especially someone like Greg,” Jess said.

“Oh, crap... Can you tell them not to tell anyone, or any more people, while I go get ready?” Kia started up the stairs, dragging her feet.

I don’t want my friends to think badly of me… or Ian. And yes, it is strange that I do worry for Ian. Perhaps I do see him as somewhat of a friend. I do trust him for the most part.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, I know it’s been a super long time since the last update. Comment! I hope the present and reflections aren’t confusing anyone.