Shut Those Legs Girl, It's Closing Time

03

The phone rang, and rang, and rang. I threw it at the wall when Shayley's voicemail came out through the receiver. I didn't care if it broke, I didn't care if I wouldn't get a new one. Every single night, the motions just kept getting older and older. My bed bounced with my weight as I sat down on it, putting my face in my hands and letting my cries go through my body. I was shaking, and I didn't even recognize it till my phone fell from my bed to the floor. I heard it vibrate, but I didn't look at it. I knew it wasn't him; he wouldn't care if I was dying.

I finally stopped crying when I heard the familiar sound of a car engine rev out of my driveway and down the street. I lay down in my bed, curling myself into a ball, letting my shakes leave my body. The wall across from my bed was filled with pictures of bands, my old family, and my friends. It was something I didn't want to look at, and made the tears begin to fall again.

My crying did finally stop, when, I didn't remember. It was like this for a good part of my week, crying myself to sleep and being alone. My family, my old family, had died a few years ago. I had a brother and a sister, both of whom meant the world to me. They were younger then me, and nearly every day I wished it was me that had gone and that they could live their lives. My mother died with them, in a vicious car accident, which would never leave me the same. It was dark out, the roads were slick with ice and snow, and the rest was a massacre. My father was left with me and what we could call our lives. The only reason I was living was because of Shayley, and in those moments, was when I fell in love.

My father became a raging alcoholic and drug user, beating me at all points in his day when he felt like it. Another reason I couldn't be alone. Being alone in my house meant inner turmoil, and if my father was home, a beating to sleep to. Shayley was the only person in the world who knew what happened to me, when I was young, when my family died, and what happened nearly everyday. Things he knew that I couldn't deal with alone, but left me to my own devices. Jaten was more important then anything in his life, and this was something that wasn't going to change anytime soon.

I walked down the streets of downtown, watching the passerby's and staring into windows. Everyone stared back at me, with my light brown hair that went past my shoulders, slightly tanned skin, and all black attire; I didn't know what they saw. I was nothing out of the ordinary, simple girl with problems. Everyone had them, I was no different. I walked past window by window, on my way to nowhere.

It was hitting dusk and I was still walking the streets. I had nowhere to go, nowhere to be that I was wanted. I sighed at my depressing thoughts, I should be happy that I was living. My phone started to go off in my pocket, and I was surprised it worked. I took it out, looking at the screen, and seeing Shayley's name on it. I answered, monotone. "What?" I asked and I could hear him scoff.
"Where are you?" he asked and I looked around.
"Downtown." I said and I could just see him shaking his head at me.
"Why the hell are you out there?" he asked, angry and annoyed. I stopped walking and looked to the sky, letting my phone drop from my ear. I swore out loud, not really caring who heard me.
"I needed some time alone." I said back into the receiver when I composed myself.
"You never want to be alone." He contradicted my words and I swore again.
"Shay, what are you doing?" I just about yelled into my phone.
"I'm waiting for you." He said and I narrowed my eyes at the sidewalk beneath my feet.
"Why?" I said and he laughed. Even though I was annoyed with him, the sound of his laughter made butterflies erupt in my stomach.
"What do we always do? Night after night?" he asked a rhetorical question.
"Argue." I said sarcastically. He groaned and I smiled to myself, heading back home to where I knew he was.
"Just come to me." He said. My heart stuttered at his words. I said nothing as I closed the phone, pocketing it again, and ran home.

The park was only a street away as I ran for it, knowing that my best friend was there to greet me. There were no cars as I ran through the, usually busy intersection. The park was dark, the trees casting their shadows as the sun set in the sky. The swings on the swing set creaked in the night breeze as I passed by them. I could see someone from far off, on the bench that I usually met Shayley at. My heart soared at the prospect. I noticed another shadow next to his side, and I wondered who he had brought here with him. I started to walk slowly to the spot the two people were sitting down, letting my heart regulate. One of the figures stood and walked over to me, and in the streetlight, I saw the dark brown hair that could only be Shayley. He came over to me, a smile bright on his face in the night. I smiled too once I reached him, holding my arms out for a hug. He shook his head, his smile faltering. I let my arms drop to my sides. My smile melted from my face. "So who did you bring with you?" I asked, standing on my toes to see past Shayley. He moved in my line of view and I scoffed.
"I want you guys to meet." He said after moments of just the wind blowing.
"Who?" I asked, genuinely interested now.
"Don't be mad, okay." He said, holding his hands in front of him in surrender. He laughed at the look on my face, which must've been hilarious, because I was confused as hell. He turned around in the darkness, and going to the person still sitting on the bench. I followed him, not really knowing what else to do.

The shadows held as I walked nearer and nearer, confused as ever. The moment I realized who was sitting on the bench was the moment that Shayley kissed her. My heart and stomach jolted. For a moment I thought I was going to be sick. What was wrong with me? "Jaten." I said her name in a gasp, surprised by how my body deceived me. She looked up at me and I finally saw her face. She looked afraid under the veil of blonde hair that she looked at me through. Her dark eyes stared at me, as she said nothing.
"Rayn, this is Jae, Jae this is Rayn." Shayley said as he sat next to her on the bench, grabbing her hand. "I don't know if you guys have met or anything, but I felt like I needed the two most important people in my life to get to know one another." He said, a little too enthusiastically for my liking.
"Yeah, get to know one another." She said, and I couldn't tell the emotion she was trying to convey. I stepped away from them, narrowing my eyes at her in the darkness.
"Definitely on my agenda." I said, sarcastically enough that they both knew the meaning.
"Come on now Rayn." Shayley said, sounding tired. I just shook my head, backing away again. They stared at me, the both of them. I looked at Shayley, seeing his blue eyes practically glowing from the artificial light above his head. My eyes bore into his, my mind screaming obscenities at him. He started to get up from his spot, to stop me from leaving, but Jaten was like a tether on his arm and wouldn't let him leave. I groaned out loud, holding in my scream, and turned around and ran away from them both.