‹ Prequel: Different Letters
Status: Back on for real

Love Made Us Blind

Pure Bloods

After a wonderful Christmas Holiday spend with her boyfriend and his family, Alice was under the impression the rest of her life was going to be as easy and happy. But upon the first moments of her arrival at Hogwarts, it seemed she was mistaken. When she entered the Gryffindor common room the eve before classes started again, she immediately spotted her three friends. She walked up to them happily, hugging Hermione the moment she saw her.

"I missed you three!" She said preparing to hug Harry but Ron walked away to the boy's dormitory without giving the girl a glance. "What have I...?" She started looking at Harry and Hermione hurt

They exchanged a look, silently exchanging information before looking back at Alice. It was Hermione who was going to address this "problem."

"Addie, a funny thing happen this Christmas and we ended up at St. Mugos Hospital."

"That's horrible! Is everything okay now?"

"Like I said, nothing big, a funny accident." Hermione lied. Ron's father was almost killed by a snake being possessed by Harry, nothing was less funny but Alice had to believe it was something trivial. The trio could never be completely honest with her, not as long as she's rubbing shoulders with Death Eaters. "We ended up crossing paths with our second year Defence Against the Dark Arts professor who's brain was permanently damage. We went to visit his ward, a ward he shares with Neville's parents." Alice stayed quiet. But how could they have guessed? Did Harry tell them? "We met Neville and his grandmother who filled us with what happened." That was a second lie. Harry told them that it was Bellatrix Lestrange who tortured them. They guessed that her husband and brother in law were accomplices. After all, they were so damaged; it must have taken hours for only one person to accomplish such a horrible feat.

"So I'm back at square one with him?" She concluded

"He's just shocked Addie." Hermione said "I mean, I was too. It's I, we didn't expect it. I assumed it was something different, I honestly thought, I didn't even think, I liked to believe since he was your father that he was just in it because of family that he didn't do much."

"So why are you talking to me? Aren't you scared that you're going to be next just by talking to me?" Alice said coldly

"No! I'm not Ron. And he knows you now. Give him some time."

"Right. It's not every day you discover your classmate's father tortured your other classmates parents is it?" She said ready to walk away but Harry grabbed her

"Addie." He said, taking a short pause. "He will soon realize that he doesn't have to forgive you because you're not responsible."

"I can't believe he has to realize this. I've told him before, I was two years old when he was imprisoned. I don't even know how he looks like. I mean I know I look like him so I imagine him with black hair and green... But I've never been told that I'm like him. If I was I would have been sorted in Slytherin." Harry smiled a little taking her hands in his and holding them to give the girl courage

"I guess you're like your mother, then." He said forgetting the little information Alice had told him about her mother. But she wasn't irritated but amused and let out a little laugh.

"My mother is so evil not even a house founded by the Dark Lord would accept her. Sorry, You-Know-Who." But Hermione and Harry were too amused by her statement to even notice

"She can't be-"

"She told the French wizardry world that Draco and I are married. So if you ever have the misfortune to visit the Chateau Voltaire, you'll see my name on the family tree as Marie-Adelaide Malfoy."

Alice than started telling them the story about her visit to France and her fake "wedding" dinner.

"I don't know what to say. Are all pure-bloods this crazy?" Hermione asked, hoping she wasn't offending the half-French witch.

"No. Narcissa was completely against the idea. Don't get me wrong, pure-bloods, especially those in the age of our parents all married young, but not fifteen. She wanted to write to my mother and tell her what she thought but..." Alice sighed remembering her conversation with her younger cousin "It was to be done as a duty to the Voltaire name."

Hermione and Harry didn't ask further, knowing that they wouldn't understand those French pure-blood customs. It was a completely different world. Harry said good-night to his two friends as Alice started gushing about her new wardrobe.

"I told Narcissa that I was sorted in Gryffindor."

"Did she take it well?" Hermione asked, a little worried. She had the displeasure of meeting Lucius Malfoy one time before her second year and briefly saw Narcissa Malfoy at the Quidditch Cup. She couldn't imagine just how a person as lovely as Addie could fit in such a family. Alice told her how Narcissa reacted knowing that her clothes clashed with the Gryffindor colours. When Addie spoke of Draco, Hermione always tried to imagine it was a different person than Malfoy, it was easier to listen to. Addie had become her closest girl friend and Hermione wanted her to be comfortable talking about her relationship, an important chapter in any girl's life. If Alice had to completely censor her love life, the Muggle born knew she would never be close friends.

"Can you answer me something honestly?" Addie asked and Hermione hoped to god it wasn't her opinion on any of the Malfoys "Do you have any feelings towards Ron?"

"He's my friend just like Harry is."

"Yes but you see, you didn't seem jealous at all of Cho, so I know that Harry is just a friend. I'm just curious. The closest I've ever been to a guy friend ended up being my boyfriend."

"I don't know. All I know is I don't feel about Harry and Ron the same. Harry is more like... like a brother. Ron, is well Ron." She said smiling as Alice nodded, understanding. She was in that middle ground. It was rare being very close to a guy without liking him as a brother. In those cases, feelings would eventually develop but they took some time.

"Do you think he'll ever speak to me again?"

"I'm sure he will. He always falls for your charm." Hermione responded, wondering for the first time if it bothered her.

"You know I can't hear Marie-Adelaide without hearing Malfoy, right?" Draco told her after Umbridge took attendance. It seemed that a lot of people decided to skip the first day back to school and stay in their dormitories.

"Haha, you're so funny." Alice responded "Since I'm the last heiress, I should hyphen my name don't you think? Lestrange-Malfoy."

"Why should Lestrange be first?" He asked, getting on board this fake argument. He noticed that even if she tried to keep a serious face, her lips corners were curled, which meant she was trying hard to keep that smile repressed. He stared at those lips, those lips he wanted to kiss so badly as she took notes.

"Let's be fair, alphabetically, Lestrange comes first. So I say that our children should also be Lestrange-Malfoy." Alice hid her mouth behind her hand as she leaned on her elbow, reading the texts from her stupid easy book that Umbridge was making them. Luckily the couple was sitting in the back which allowed them to have subtle conversations. She tried hiding her smile imagining her boyfriend's reaction to her statement.

"How about we have our first born will be Malfoy and our second will be Lestrange?" Alice turned her head to the boy she loved more than anything

"Deal." She smiled widely. Draco couldn't hold back this time and quickly gave her a peck to seal the deal which both of them knew, would never last. It wasn't the pure-blood way.

That evening, Harry was gone for his remedial potions, which shocked Alice. She always was under the impression that Snape couldn't stand Harry but was still willing to give him a chance to get better grades. Hermione had gone to the library to revise her homework. Alice was feeling pretty cocky about her essay so she turned down her friend's offer to join her. She wanted to spend some time with Hayley but the red head Gryffindor was nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, she spotted another red head, who was having problems with his Transfiguration essay.

"I'll help you." Alice offered but all that Ron did was shot her a nasty glance "Look Ron, we have to get over this and have a talk that will solve this problem once and for all. I can't have you mopping around being mad at me every time you find something about my parents that you don't like."

"How am I supposed to trust you? He's your father!"

"I've only known him for two years. He didn't raise me."

"Your mum's not better for marrying him."

"She didn't have much influence on me. And my mother left him. She changed our name, it's like if he never existed." That was partly the truth. In France she was a Voltaire, but the moment she stepped back in England, she was the wife of Rabastan Lestrange and unless both party agreed, she couldn't leave him.

"You changed it back."

"Believe me, there are worst things in life than being a Death Eater's daughter. Pure blood mania is so much worse in France than here. I don't want to be known as a Voltaire." She said. Ron didn't respond, trying to get back to his work "I know it's different for you. We're different than Harry and Hermione-"

"We're just the same! They are as much magical-"

"I know that! It wasn't what I wanted to say." Alice interrupted him. "They are great at magic but we're still different because of our upbringing. They have talent, I saw it but it doesn't change that we know more than they do. We're both Pure-Bloods. Like from the beginning you know my family is not to be trusted. You grew up hearing my family name as a family dedicated to The Dark- You-Know-Who. And I grew up hearing that families like yours, those who love Muggles, aren't real wizard families.

"By the Malfoys."

"Not...at all" She said instead of being honest and adding 'only.' "My mother's family. Point is, are you exactly like your father, your mother? When have I ever acted likw my parents would of, I've been nothing but kind to you."

"You called me a blood traitor at the beginning of the year. From what I saw, pure blood kids often take after their parents. Just look at Malfoy."

"That's because I was saying what Draco wanted to hear when he tried to hex you because you insulted me last year. And yes, Draco and his father are ruthless when it comes to their enemies but they treat those who they love right. So let's say I have some of my father's traits. I'm loyal to my friends so I will never betray you. I'm an amazing Beater like he was so I'll make sure to knock of all the Chasers before they get to you." Ron smiled which made the girl laugh before becoming serious again. "I know what he did was cruel and it's so much easier for you to imagine him as a heartless monster but he's my father and I try to look what was best about him. He loved me those two short years and it's in his memory I refused to become a mindless French socialite."

Ron didn't say anything and looked at his paper again but Alice saw that there's a different look in his eyes and she knew he wasn't mad at her anymore. She told him she was going to be sitting further in the back and if he had any questions about the homework he could always come and ask her anything. Five minutes later, Ron swallowed his pride and walked over to Alice who repressed a smirk.
♠ ♠ ♠
A huge thank you to drama-queen-ak for motivating me!

Hope you all enjoy it! (L)