‹ Prequel: Different Letters
Status: Back on for real

Love Made Us Blind

Feeling Invisible

Marie-Adelaide was staring at her fake galleon, reflecting on her position. She had successfully ostracized herself from the Gryffindors. In her eyes she had thrown in her lot with the Death Eaters. They all believed Harry now and if she was with Malfoy she was with them. She didn't even have to ignore them anymore. They did it for her.

The week after Harry's interview article dropped had been miserable for Marie-Adelaide. Things have reverted to the way it was at the beginning of the school year. She spend most of her time with Draco and completely ignored her Gryffindor housemates. Even Hayley wouldn't speak with her. The only thing that was different was how she felt. In September this used to be enough for her. It's what she imagined her year would go by. Sitting by Draco in every class they shared together, eating at the Slytherin table and wasting her evenings with her boyfriend, Rachelle and Blaise. When she crossed her former friends she just kept looking forward without giving them a further glanced. Marie-Adelaide didn't know how much longer she could take it.

It had taken less than a day after Umbridge had banned the article for everyone to read it. Great lengths were used by students to conceal the article or to find a copy. It seemed that Umbridge made a huge mistake by banning it Alice thought. It just made it that much more appealing to read. The black haired witch observed the way people spoke and looked at her boyfriend. It seemed he had been right in deducing that some were convinced but it didn't seem like they were a majority. Out of their classmates, along with Draco's, three more fathers were named, those of Crabbe, Goyle and Theodore Nott's. Theo had fumed for the whole day but had seen reason much quicker than her boyfriend who had a foul mood days later.

"Why should we care?" Theo asked them the next day in the library "It's not like anyone is going to believe them. This seems just bigger than it is because we're isolated from the world here. No one reads the Quibbler, no one but lunatics that believe in..."

Alice had tuned out from the conversation quickly. She didn't care what they were talking about, she didn't care what they had to say about Harry Potter. And she was getting tired of their hypocrisy. All five of them were children of Death Eaters and yet Alice was the only one who suffered the consequences. She's the one who had to change her name, only her mother had to flee the country and she didn't attend Hogwarts since her first year like she was supposed to and only got here by pure luck. Their fathers pleaded innocence while hers remained loyal. And it was Marie-Adelaide who paid the price all her life while the boys couldn't handle a few stares for a couple of days. This was going to blow over soon anyways like big news always did at Hogwarts.

While the Slytherins largely ignored the article the Gryffindors had a completely different reaction. While she shouldn't have been, Alice was surprised that a full blown party was going on when she came back to the common room. Music was playing, a huge poster of Harry's picture from the interview was hanging, butterbeer was flowing and so was a bunch of other food and treats. Had this been happening last week for a completely different occasion the girl would have joined the festivities gladly but given the circumstances, she was just glad that everyone was too preoccupied with the party to notice her and she was able to slip into her dormitory without anyone stopping her to talk. As much as she hated it, she had to start putting some distance between them and her. To her second surprise someone was already in the dormitory. She wasn't expecting to see Hermione, she thought she would be down having fun with everyone. Instead she was on her bed reading a thick book. Then again that's exactly what she should have expected from her friend.

"I thought you'd be downstairs." Alice blurred out unsure of what to say

"It was too noisy and I still have some homework to finish." Addie nodded, looking away about to prepare herself for the night. "Addie, you-" Hermione started after a pause but was cut off

"I can't be friends with you anymore" Alice let out without thinking too much about her words.

"What?"

"I can't be seen with you. Not in class or the hall or the corridors. I don't even think the common room is safe."

"Don't you find that a little ridiculous?" Hermione asked "The article-"

"The article was an attack on Draco's family" Addie interrupted again. "And I promised him I would always take his side."

"Even if he is wrong?" Alice didn't reply anything to that because she couldn't think of anything to say, not to Hermione. She couldn't tell her Muggle-born friend that she still believed in everything she was brought up to believe, because it wasn't true anymore. "Don't you think if there was ever a time to leave Malfoy it would be now. Especially if he is telling you which friends you can see and which you can't?"

"I can't just leave Draco!" Alice exclaimed, frustrated by the whole situation "He is my family, the Malfoys are! They welcomed me into their home, they made me apart of their family. I can't turn my back on them!"

"They are Death Eaters Addie!"

"So is my father! And Draco isn't and neither is Narcissa! I'm sure this will blow over and when it does maybe he will stop caring. But while he still does I have to show him I'm on his side. He's my family Hermione, please understand. I can't lose him..." They stayed in silence for a while, unsure of what to say next. "I hate this. I never wanted to chose... I had hoped not for years at least..."

"It's okay Addie." Hermione responded "Just know we're here for you. If you want to go back on the choice you made, there's always that option."

Alice was struck by that. She was sure her new friends would banish her from their lives for good. But they were giving her an opportunity to switch sides if she ever felt the need. She wondered had she chosen Harry's side would Draco give her that chance too.

"Thank you" Alice responded, in a low voice.

Hermione resumed her readings and Alice went to bed thinking how much her school life would change. She enjoyed her moments with her housemates, talking near the fire place and joking at the dining hall table with them. She hoped and hoped tomorrow morning Draco would be over it. But in the next few days Alice realized he wouldn't be for a while.

Rachelle had ignored the entire situation completely to Alice's knowledge. She realized she could have gotten her answers with Blaise but then again how would Blaise know anything really. Draco never discussed anything about the Dark Lord in front of him and only to discuss the matter with other Death Eater children. So she found it weird after such an accusation on her best friend's boyfriend didn't disturb her in the least.

"So you seem like the only student who's pretty indifferent about the whole article thing." Alice finally cracked and said once when they were alone. Rachelle looked up from her homework and looked as if she needed an explanation

"What article?" She finally said when her friend remained silent.

"You know..." Alice said before she leaned in to whisper "The Quibbler one"

Rachelle rolled her eyes.

"Yeah what about it?" She responded, looking back at her homework, already seeming bored with the conversation

"Nothing it's just that... I thought you'd be, I don't know..." Rachelle let out a small laugh

"Surprised, concerned? I'm not stupid Alice, I sort of... suspected it? I mean you've always said that that they practically raised you. You're a convicted Death Eater's daughter. It's not a far stretch his family would be followers as well."

"So you knew?"

"No, I didn't know, not until reading the article."

"And you don't care?"

"No Alice I really don't. I'm a pure blood so I'm in no danger what so ever. Do I believe every muggle born should die, of course not, but I'm not going to get involved in something that doesn't threaten me or any of my friends. So I don't care if your boyfriend's family are Death Eaters. I mean I hope for your sake they don't get caught but other than that... I have enough on my mind as it is."

If Rachelle didn't care that Alice had kept the truth from her, Hayley had a completely different reaction. After getting her hands on the article, she had wasted no time in ambushing Addie with questions.

"One at a time Hayley." Alice interrupted her housemate. Hayley had dragged her friend from breakfast and led her into a deserted hallway far from prying ears. Draco had said nothing to his girlfriend leaving with the redhead. Hayley was the only Gryffindor she could speak to without it seeming that she supports Potter.

"Tell me everything now." Hayley commanded.

"What do you mean everything?"

"Do not play dumb with me Lestrange. You are in the middle of everything! Malfoy's girlfriend, Potter's friend... You hear so much from both sides but when I ask you about it you feign innocence. Now answer me this one simple question. Is Potter right? Or are you friends with a liar?"

"I'm no longer friends with him." Alice replied without answering the question

"Not by your choice, let's be honest here." Alice was getting very nervous. She's never seen Hayley like this, not to her. She was completely ruthless, bold and Alice was getting more and more intimidated "He's been talking about the You-Know-Who coming back for months and you only now decide to cut ties with him?"

"He publicly accused my boyfriend's father of being a Death Eater!"

"And is he right Addie?"

"What does it matter Hayley? How will it affect your life?"

"My cousin happens to be friends with him for one! And I will have a better understanding of who I can and cannot trust! Like you... I asked you weeks ago if-"

"And I said I don't know."

"Which I'm starting to realize it's a load of-"

"You were asking me to name my boyfriend's father a Death Eater!" Alice replied a bit too loudly
Both girls said nothing for a while as they stared at each other. Addie desperately did not want to lose Hayley's friendship but she was at a loss in what to say next.

"I gave you my word it would stay between us but you decided not to trust me." She said hurt. "Have I ever given you not to, I mean I have stuck up for you, stayed by your side through all your troubles with Draco and Potter. You know what, whatever Lestrange."

After that conversation no one would speak to Alice once she entered the Gryffindor common room. It seemed no one would speak to Alice period. Rachelle was acting unusually cold towards her. She tried to spend time with the blond and her Ravenclaw friends but when she did no one paid her much attention, not even her half-French friend. Hanging out with Draco wasn't so much comforting either. He mostly wanted to make out but with everything else that was going on in her life, she wasn't much in the mood to be affectionate. So he also pretty much ignored her even if she spend most of her time with him.

Alice really didn't know how much longer she could take being ignored by everyone in the whole school.

She was in her dormitory as she started at her fake galleon. Draco had some extra prefect duty tonight so she much rather isolate herself in her dormitory than hang out with Rachelle and her friends. The only other person in the room was Hayley who was on her bed reading a book still ignoring Alice. The DA meeting was tonight and with Draco busy this was an ideal time to have one fun evening. She could allow herself that couldn't she? He would never know. She would have gone immediately to the Room of Requirement but the thought of everyone's reaction was stopping her. She hoped Hermione understood her and explained it to the boys. She hoped that by some miracle they knew she still cared about them. She finally decided that she was going to go and the worst that could happen was that they would ask her to leave. It wouldn't even be the worst that happened this week.

Alice was about to leave the room when she thought about Hayley. The girl had accused her that she didn't trust her. And the worst part was that Hayley never gave her any reasons why not to. She had been a true friends for Alice all year long, something that she had taken for granted all year long.

"Hayley." To her credit the redhead looked up instead of childishly ignoring her. "I'm sorry. I took it to heart what you told me and you were right. I didn't trust you with the truth sadly more than once. And that's inexcusable. I hope you'll forgive me one day and as a way to make it up to you I want to tell you about something."

So Alice told her about the DA. She explained how it came to be, why it happened and everything they did during sessions. Hayley listened without interrupting and the longer Alice spoke, the more her expression seemed to soften.

"Oh Addie..." She finally said once the black hair girl finished. "I really wished you told me sooner."

"So do I" Alice confessed "It was stupid why I didn't trust you in the beginning. And it's been a while since I wanted to tell you about it but I ended up feeling stupid and ashamed for not including you at first so I just never..." She looked down, feeling bad "I'm sorry."

"I forgive you. Especially if you bring me to practice...?" She asked with a smile.

"Of course. I was just heading there. I'll explain to Harry and everyone that you're with us against Umbridge and everything."

"You can also tell him I believe him. I believe everything he says."
Alice nodded and both girls stayed in silence for a bit.

"So are we going? If they didn't change the program we should learn about Patronuses tonight!"

"Wow that sounds like so much fun!" Hayley giggled

The girls hugged quickly and left the dormitory, Alice overjoyed she finally had her friend back and relieved that she didn't have keep stuff from her anyone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just so you know, if you're reading this you are super cool. And I love you