‹ Prequel: Different Letters
Status: Back on for real

Love Made Us Blind

Right choice

Alice hated her. She hated seeing her face as often as she did. She hated hearing her squeaky little voice. She hated her little giggle even more. But what she couldn't stand was her attitude and how she loved putting others down. She already had Pansy on her back but her, she could easily ignore. But ignoring Dolores Umbridge was a completely other story. Her and her love and loyalty to the ministry were getting on her last nerves. Draco on the other hand didn't seem to mind her at all and found her rather entertaining. It annoyed Alice even more that she had to sit beside him as he sucked up to her in class, often complimenting her for the silliest of things. It seemed to work out in his favour since he was receiving better grades than Alice even if they did their homework together. Near the end of the week, Alice was sitting in a loveseat very comfortable. It was past curfew and she missed her boyfriend already but too soon to call it a night. Hayley was sleeping over at her cousin's dorm and Alice expected to do that soon over at Rachelle's. She couldn't wait to see Ravenclaw's common room. Harry, Ron and Hermione were only a few feet away but Alice did a good job not paying attention to them until the conversation got too interesting for her to ignore.

"What's wrong with your hand?" Hermione asked as Alice took her eyes of her book and observed the trio which she used to consider as friends.

"Nothing." Harry responded as he hid one of his hands and showed the other one. Hermione wasn't dupe and took the hand she wanted to talk about.

"The other one." She looked at it and gasped "You got tell Dumbledore."

What was so important? She bit her lips, suddenly very curious. Harry refused, giving some excuse that the Headmaster was too busy. They quiet down and Alice almost forgot about the matter until Harry spoke again.

"I don't want to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Bloody hell Harry. The woman is torturing you.

Now Addie stood up and walked towards them. If there was any way of sacking that woman out of here and Potter could help, he would.

"Harry you got to report this." Hermione said

"I agree with her." The trio looked up and saw Alice standing there. She bended down and took Harry's hand. The trio fell silent and Harry was too shocked to take back his hand. Alice stared at the wound on his hand which seemed to be forming a sentence. Addie only deducted that it said something about telling lies because not every letter was readable. "She's got no rights."

"Well how about you pay her a visit then. Tell her I'm not lying. You believe me don't you?"

"Harry, I don't know who and what to believe... I need proof to really think that he could be back..." That was the last conversation she wanted to get in because she couldn't win: if she said she didn't believe him, she was his enemy. If Alice said she did, they might think it's because she really knows. After all she saw Death Eater after Death Eater at the Manor this summer, coming to prepare a mission with Mr. Malfoy.

"You need proof? How about a nice chat with your precious Malfoy's father? How about you ask him what was he doing the night Cedric got killed?"

"You can't accuse Mr. Malfoy of being at..." She realized her voice was too loud "Just because you hate his son. Not all Slytherins grow up to be his servants you know..."

"I saw him and every single one of his followers..."

"You could have been knocked out by Cedric's murderer and dreamed the whole thing up!"

"I didn't dream it up!" Harry shouted, furious "I saw it all happen; I saw him and his friends. He... he also talked about your father." Alice had to maintain a great effort not to react. Any but any reaction at all would betray her. She had to contain her curiosity and belief that she already knew what he was about to say. Mr. Malfoy had already informed her that the Dark Lord was planning on getting the Lestranges out of prison. "I had no idea that he went to Azkaban voluntarily. He had preferred to be locked up than deny his loyalty and stay with his daughter..."

"Shut up, Potter!" Of course she had know this. She had deducted it but never had a person say it to her face." That's all the proof I need to know you were dreaming! My father was caught and no excuses could cover it up."

"I witnessed his trial from a Pensine. He was smiling as he listened as his friend swore Voldemort would rise." Addie shivered at his name "I think you were the last thing on his mind."

"You... you saw my father..."

She was suddenly jealous. Alice touched her bracelet. The only pictures she had of him were when he was a teenage boy. When she was born and years before that, he was too busy to be bothered by pictures. There was nothing more she wanted but to see how he looked like. She, who looks just like him. She, who inherited this hair color, eyes and traits.

"In Dumbledore's Pensine..." But the girl was in a trance. Her father had always been a distant memory but in front of her there was someone, her age that had seen him. Who may be heard him and was closer to him than she ever remembers. "My point is. Do the right thing, and tell someone the truth. Because I'm sure you know."

Harry left with a furious step, leaving Alice sitting on the floor at the sofa's feet. Ron and Hermione stayed but didn't say a word to the Lestrange until she left and went to her dorm. She thought about what Harry just said to her. Do the right thing, and tell someone the truth. That's exactly what she was going to do the moment morning came.

Two days later, Alice was eating breakfast with Draco, Blaise and Rachelle at the Slytherin table. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially when Rachelle started feeding Blaise. A squeaky distant sound busted their bubble as the whole Hall fell silent. Just outside the Hall on the staircase, Umbridge and McGonagall were fighting. Addie didn't need to listen in the conversation since she knew what it was about. But a very curious Draco didn't so he managed to drag Alice out of the room and along with bunch of other students, they watched as the two witches' quarrelled.

"Not at all Dolores. Merely your medieval methods." McGonagall argued, talking about the torture she inflicted on Harry

"To question my practices, is to question the ministry and by extension the minister himself." The little woman said, over dramatizing everything in Addie's point of view.

Draco nodded with a smirk, agreeing with what was happening just as Alice showed a face of disapproval. That woman was mental, she was sure of that much. When Umbridge finished her little speech on how she was going to notify Fudge how bad things are at Hogwarts Addie felt bad. If she wouldn't have gone to McGonagall, no one would be caught in the mess it was going to create. The teacher glanced at Alice and smiled to her, nodding. The gesture escaped Draco's attention but not Harry's. He turned and looked at the witch with black hair. That, on the other hand didn't escape Draco and he put his arm over her and pulled her closer to him.

"That was highly amusing." He whispered kissing her on the lips with force after making sure Potter was still observing.

"Barely."

"Come' on. A teacher-teacher fight is always entertaining."

"What did she mean that Fudge was going to take care of things?" Addie said, breaking away from another kiss. That was the last thing on her mind now.

"Who knows who cares? It's not our concern now is it?" He said, pulling her even closer so she wouldn't break away. Alice put her arms around his neck, giving in. That evening she was walking across the common room with Hayley when she heard someone shout her name. She stopped and noticed Harry walking towards her.

"I'll meet you there." She said to Hayley, wanting to talk with Potter alone

"You told McGonagall."

"Yes. If you knew me, you'd know I don't lie and I don't hide the truth. Telling someone was the proper thing to do."

"If you'll tell me that you don't know whenever Voldemort is back..." Alice cringed at his name once more "I'll believe you. It's possible you just really don't know."

"Thanks."

"I want to be your friend again, Addie. Not just because you're in Gryffindor but because you just proved that I can trust you to do the right thing. You're a good person."

"While thanks." Alice said with a little laugh "It sorta worries me it took you so long to notice it."

"It's not that I-"

"I'm kidding. I missed you a little you know." Alice said giving Harry a small hug.

She realized it was going to make things a little difficult with Draco. He was not going to like that she was friends with Potter again. No, this was going to get ugly. But then, if he got over the fact she was in Gryffindor, maybe he'd get over that too? Or was she just pushing her luck? She thought about so many things which eventually let her to fall fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little later than I wanted to post this so sorry. Hope you still like it :)
Like to thank those who commented:
punkrockerballerina
MeilaKay
Fabulous_Killjoys.
since my hiatus. It's better coming back knowing that you guys like it :)