I Found Myself Falling...Not For the Right Thing Either

Chapter 28

“How the hell are we supposed to go to the wedding, now?” I yelled over to Craig. He was still mumbling a few things to Jake on the phone.

I could barely see outside it was so white. It wasn’t this white an hour ago! Not even 10 minutes ago!

“I know, I’ll tell her.” Craig finished, taking his phone away from his ear and closing it. His tone told me he was clam, but I sure as hell was not! How were we supposed to get to the wedding now? The whole day was ruined if we couldn’t get there.

“What will you tell me?” I asked, whipping around to face him.

“That we’re not going.”

“That we’re not going.” I retorted, pressing my hands firmly onto my hips.

“I’m serious.” Craig scowled at my tone.

“I’m serious.” I mimicked. He narrowed his eyes and I decided to close my mouth.

“It’s a blizzard out there! Katie and Jake were lucky enough to be able to pull over and find a hotel.” I frowned. It wasn’t snowing that hard! Thinking about it though, I never had actually driven in a snow storm before… I’ve never had a car to do so with.

“What about Vicky? What happens to her wedding?” Craig shrugged, walking towards me and laying on the end of my bed. If we couldn’t get there, or Jake and Katie, I was pretty sure we weren’t the only ones.

“Have no clue, reschedule.” He sounded like a pure idiot when the words left his lips.

“Ha! Reschedule! You can’t just reschedule a wedding!”

“Why not?” He asked, tossing his legs up and onto to the bed so he was lying fully down on it.

“Because you-you just can’t. You’d have to reorder flowers, make sure everyone could come again, pick a different date, it’d be too much!” I didn’t realize how out of breath I was until I finished that sentence. I was basically gasping.

“Rae, calm down. It’s not like it’s your wedding.” My face scrunched. How could he be so relaxed?!

“No it’s not, but I would be crushed if my wedding was like this. This is why you never have a winter wedding!” I argued, pulling my dress up as it started to fall.

“So you’d want a summer wedding?” I huffed a ‘yes’ which caused Craig to smile. “Same here, but it’d have to be indoors or else it could rain and ruin the whole thing. That would suck and I wouldn’t want any of that to happen.” I groaned, falling back and onto the window sill.

“We’re not talking about you here.” I muttered rather harshly.

“It let you catch your breath though, didn’t it?” I rolled my eyes, not wanting to admit that it actually did.

“Rae, just calm down, it’s just one day. I’m sure Vicky and Jim will be able to fix it.”

“What if they can’t?” I replied, tugging at my dress again.

“They will and you know you can take that off, right? I sure as hell am not driving in that,” He pointed out the window, “and I’m not letting you drive in it either.” I just crossed my arms over my chest.

“Well, then what are we supposed to do since it’ll be really difficult to drive down the road and nobody can come back.” Craig smirked and it actually scared me.

“Guess we’re stuck together for the night.”

My heart jumped at the thought of that. We would be stuck together for the rest of the day and night…



“You can’t be serious!” I started laughing like crazy at the thought Craig had just given me.

“What?” He asked sheepishly, grabbing a piece of popcorn.

“Roses are so cliché!” I continued to laugh for a bit, wiping the tears that started to form in my eyes from laughing so hard. Craig just watched, grabbing more popcorn to place into his mouth, waiting for me to finish.

“Are you done?” He asked after I finally stopped laughing.

“I guess.” A few chuckles added to my response.

“It’s not that funny. I think roses would look awesome. Not just red ones though.” I snickered.

“You sound like a girl.” He scowled, making a funny face.

“I do not!” He declared.

“Yes you do.” I argued, tossing a piece of popcorn into his direction. It flung out and onto his shirt, causing butter to leave a streak down the front of his dress shirt. We both stopped talking as we looked down at the buttery stain. His face was priceless!

“This is a good shirt!” He cried, picking up a tissue from the tissue box on the coffee table. He rubbed furiously at the stain, trying to get it to come out.

“Good luck with that!” His eyes narrowed in my direction as he continued to scrub his shirt with a tissue.

“It’s not funny!” I smirked. I wasn’t laughing even though I knew it was funny. Butter wasn’t that hard to get out, or for me at least.

“I wasn’t laughing.” Craig stopped rubbing abruptly. He turned his gaze towards me and rolled his eyes.

“I can tell.” He said in a ‘duh’ tone. I rolled my eyes back at him.

“No need to be angry.” I told him, grabbing his shirt and examining the stain. His rubbing really didn’t help much, it just pushed the butter into the fabric.

“I’m not angry, just frustrated.” Craig grumbled as I cocked an eyebrow, looking up from his shirt and at his face.

Frustration was written all over his face. His eyebrows were furrowed and his jaw was rigid, showing off the perfect sculpture of it. The blue eyes that had grown on me flashed with the same emotion. If you asked me, I’d say he looked handsome, like always, frustration looked good on him…

“Well don’t be, it’ll come out.” I reassured him, patting the stain and letting his shirt fall back to lay across his chest.

“Not at that.”

“Huh?” I asked, confused.

“I’m frustrated that you changed out of your dress. It would’ve been more fun to throw buttery popcorn at.” My jaw dropped.

“You wouldn’t!” His eyes gleamed with amusement as he reached for the popcorn bowl.

His actions that followed were really fast. The pieces of popcorn were out of the bowl and into his hands faster than I could move, causing the greasy balls to be thrown my way.

“Ah!” I yelped, jumping backwards even though it didn’t do anything for me. The popcorn still landed across my shirt, leaving buttery stains in several different spots in their places. “Hey!” I cried, gasping at the action.

“You did it first.” He protested, casual tossing a few extra pieces into his mouth.

“Oh and I’ll finish it.” I declared, grabbing some popcorn.

Without letting Craig grab some more, I threw my handful at him causing butter to get into his hair and on his pants, along with kernels from the popcorn. His jaw dropped as he froze, obviously not expecting my actions. Without having a chance to grab another few handfuls, the bowl was picking up and Craig inched towards me.

“No way!” I yelled, throwing my hands in front of me to hopefully stop him from doing anything not in my favor.

“Yes way.” He snickered, the mischievous smirk spreading across his features. I quickly got up and raced out of the living room, escaping the scene. Just like our little fight the one day back in September, we were close the whole time, him on my heels as I was on his.

“I swear to God…” I trailed off as I rounded a corner and took a spot behind the island in our kitchen. Craig was quickly on the other side, popcorn bowl in hand.

“You know it’s bad to swear at God.” His sudden movement made me dart from behind the island. I tried to leave the room, but failed miserably as my socks slipped on the tile and I was sent cascading towards the floor. Just as expected, my feet smacked Craig’s and he was sent falling on top of me, the popcorn flying in the air.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I grumbled, my head aching once again.

“You’re telling me.” Craig groaned after me as the popcorn landed all over our two bodies.

“You’re fault.” I mumbled, trying to push myself up, but it didn’t work. A certain somebody was laying across my legs.

“Not it’s not, it’s yours!” How dare he blame this on me! He was chasing me! I turned over so I was underneath him and could see his face.

“Who started running after me?” I questioned, pushing myself up on my elbows so I was in Craig’s face. I often did that when I was angry.

“Who started throwing the popcorn?” He countered. I grimaced.

“It was one little piece who would’ve thought that it was create such a huge stain on your shirt?!”

“It wouldn’t have been so big if you didn’t make such buttery popcorn.” He argued.

“Hey!” I protested, “Buttery popcorn is good. Movie theaters have the best popcorn so I try to make it as buttery as them!” Our faces were mere inches apart now, our breaths mingling as we argued with one another.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, movie theaters don’t put a whole stick of butter on a tiny bowl of popcorn!”

“It wasn’t tiny, it was a big bowl! That’s why we needed a whole stick!”

“There was already butter on it!” I frowned, not knowing what else to say. He had a point there. He made a lot of good points whereas I didn’t always think things through all the way.

“Whatever.” I mumbled. That’s all it took for Craig to roll over laughing, literally. He was off of me and crushing the rest of the popcorn underneath him as he rolled from side to side, hysterical.

“That’s… all… you’ve… got… to say?!” He asked through fits of laughter.

“Well yeah…” He to laugh which got me confused. “What?” I whined, pushing on his arm to try and get him to stop.

“You’re… just… so… cute.” He got out. I felt my cheeks heat up.

“I am not.” I told him, crossing my arms over my chest. He wiped a tear from his eye, sitting up a bit.

“Even when you do that you are!” My cheeks burned even more.

“Stop saying stuff like that.” I warned him, looking away to avoid eye contact which didn’t work well as Craig reached for my chest and had to turn to face him.

“I’m saying it because it’s true.”