I Found Myself Falling...Not For the Right Thing Either

Chapter 33

“Go!” There was a buzzing noise and our doors opened, letting us see the black lights and strobe lights that were going off nonstop. We hurried through and then our doors were closed letting us know that everyone was in the ‘laser room’, as Dan had called it. I blinked a few times, getting my eyes to adjust to the many different colored neon lights and signs. The patterns on the floor were enough to dizzy you. Black and white circles and squares placed repeatedly on the floor. Music blasted so loud that it was hard to hear our own voices, making it easier to sneak up on someone during the actual game.

“Alright, so our plan stays! Katie, you get Jake, I’ll get Ian and Jared and Rae you get Craig and Kent!” James tried hard to yell over the music. We all nodded in comprehension, sticking our hands in for a little cheer bringing out our girly sides before yelling ‘break!’ like a bunch of football players and racing in opposite directions.

I had a pretty good plan made up in my own mind. Take down Kent and then deal with Craig. I had a feeling it’d be harder for me since Kent knew I’d be coming after him and knowing Kent he’d probably already warned Craig and the two of them were coming up with a plan of attack on me.

The multiple strobe lights made it hard to see, but as I ran a few feet I realized that if I raced up a few ramps I’d be able to see better.

There were tons of ramps leading to upper levels. There were two of them and then the ground floor. Each looked the like on below it, or for the ground floors sake, above it. The carpet all had the same designs and the lights were going off randomly, making it that much harder to see others, but better to sneak up on someone if seen. Deciding the best way to go, I ran up the ramps that I saw, leading to the top floor.

There I could look over an edge and see the other two floors. It was the best look-out spot in the room. I caught sight of a glowing green laser gun and vest, but not before it flashed white and then turned black signaling that the person had been shot.

I giggled a bit when I heard a frustrated cry come from someone on the other team. I guessed it to be Jake as I caught sight of Katie’s red hair as she ran past him to hide. I was having fun watching them take each other down, but then I remembered I had a mission of my own and I was to find either Kent or Craig.

I turned around rather quickly, catching the slightest glimpse of a green light. It headed for into a side room, letting its light be hidden form my eyesight. Smirking, I headed towards it, figuring that it didn’t see me.

My feet moved quickly over the carpeted floor even though the vest and gun were weighing me down. They were actually pretty heavy and if you weren’t carefully and you accidentally bumped into something you could drop your gun and trip over the cord that connected it to the vest. Luckily I made it into the room without tripping or falling over, but as soon as I got in and caught a glimpse of the blonde haired guy that I was following my vest vibrated and flashed white.

My jaw dropped and I looked down and watched it go black. I didn’t have to look up to see the expression on Kent’s face, but when I heard a snicker from behind me I whipped around to see Craig. He lifted up his gun to his mouth, pretending to blow the smoke from the end as they do in the movies and on TV.

“Jerk!” I yelled, which only made him laugh harder, but before my vest could go back on and I could play again he was out of the room. I turned to get ready to take out Kent, but he had left a while ago and I was in the room by myself.

They had double teamed me! Kent had told Craig about our plan. Frowning, I left the room, choosing not to be in the same place when my vest came back to life. I figured that I’d be able to find the two of them faster if I went and looked for them now rather than when I got another try.

This time I caught sight of Ian and Jared, hurrying around as James chased after them, but they both double teamed him and got him out. They turned to me, but I raised my hands in submission, motioning to my still black vest. They nodded and ran off, not waiting for either of our vests to come back on.

“Damn, I haven’t shot anyone yet.” James huffed, following me as I tried to look for the two devils that had shot me.

“Neither have I. Kent and Craig set up a trap for me and got me as Ian and Jared just got you.” James nodded, understanding what I had said even over the loud music. “I saw Katie get Jake though.” I informed him, popping my head into another side room before continuing on my search.

“Well then there’s one kill for us.”

“That’s also only because she had one person to get.” I explain which had him agreeing,

“True.”

“Kent really did hear us. He must’ve told everyone on their side.” My vest vibrated and made a noise just before the red light came back on and I was able to play again.

“Damn well we’ll switch it up for next time.”

“Sounds good.” I nodded, giving him a salute which he returned before we ran off in opposite directions again. I knew that as soon as I’d catch sight of one, the other will probably be somewhere close.

Keeping that in mind I rushed through the game room, hearing faint calls and yells from everyone over the music. Some shooting noises filled my ears and I turned around. Nobody was behind me so I turned back around and continued forward. I was determined to find at least one of them and shoot them.

It was like I was in a club the way the lights blinked and strobe along with the bass of the music. Well, minus the whole laser gun and tag thing, but it was crazy in this place! I don’t think it was even close to this when I was younger. Usually you just had ramps up to one floor and walls with holes cut in them to shoot at each other. Maybe there was action music going on, but now it was much different!

Next thing I knew, I turned a corner and caught sight of blonde hair as a strobe light flashed on and then off rather quickly. Within a blink of an eye, it was gone, but I knew whose hair it was and ran towards the direction of it. A neon green sign with an arrow on it pointed towards the door saying ‘mirror room’. I smirked to myself. This would be so easy. Constantly checking behind and around me, I entered the room slowly.

It was a good thing these guns didn’t actually create the ray of light when you shot them or this room would cause serious health problems. Once in I noticed all the mirrors against the walls, side by side, with no gaps in between. The room was dark and it would’ve been hard to figure out that it actually was a mirror room until you actually stared at the mirrors themselves. There let me see the two figures and green lights.

Without another second of thought I whipped up my gun from my side and shot four times. The first making a shooting noise and receiving a flash of green light before blackness, the second and third only making the noise, but the fourth did the same as the first only at a different green light.

Two loud groans filled my ears as my smirk widened. Both of the boys turned around and stared at me with shock filling their faces.

“How did you do that?!” One called over the music, making me shrug, spinning the gun around my finger by the trigger before blowing at the end as if smoke had come out.

“I’ve just got skill.” I told the two of them, running out of the room like they had so neither of them could ask any more questions or get back at me when their vests came back to life.

I only had a minute or two before a noise was made and the music turned off along with the lights, but normal lights turned on in return and signs that we hidden during the game were shown, guiding all of us. Following the signs we all ended up back at the room we had been in before entering the ‘laser room’. Eager to start the next match we hurried into the room and waited for Dan to come back in.

“Alright everyone, I’ve got scores for the first round!” We all smiled and rushed over to him, wanting to see how everyone did.

When I saw my name on the TV screen I noticed I had come in fifth with the two points I got from shooting Craig and Kent. Those two then came after me and after that, Jake. He really didn’t do well at all. No surprise there since Katie was at the top.

“Who’s Ginger?” Katie questioned, stepping back and looking around. We all heard a snicker from behind and found out it was coming from Ian. I glanced over at Katie and at first her expression was confused. Her eyebrows were scrunched together, but in just a few seconds her jaw tightened and her eyebrows went from scrunched too stiff as she glared at Ian. “You jerk!” She yelled, lunging forward at him.

I laughed quietly, now knowing how she had won. Jake had no chance against that beast.

“You’ve all got another round so let’s see if we can get these scores changed and one team totally win over the other.” Dan motioned towards the doors and our lights lit up again, signaling us to get ready to start. Our vests lit up letting us know it was time.

“That’s going to be us!” Ian declared, smirking in our direction, but it was quickly countered by Katie.

“Yeah right, says the guy who couldn’t get his vest on.”

We all snickered, still finding the comment funny.

“Whatever.” Ian mumbled, not being able to come up with anything else.

“I hope you guys don’t mind, but we’ve got two more people that would like to join.” We all turned noticing a girl and a guy.

The girl stood pretty tall with long black hair and baby blue eyes. She smiled sweetly at us. The guy next to her was good-looking with his light brown hair matching brown eyes. He was built nicely from what I could see, but something told me he was checking someone out. My eyes followed the line of his gaze and that’s when I realized he wasn’t checking neither Katie nor I out.

“Why do the hot ones always have to be gay?” Katie whispered in my ear obviously noticing the guy checking out James.

“That’s because we’re just that much better than everyone else.” James explained to us which made us girls laugh. A scoff was heard behind us and we all knew it was one of the homophobes in the back probably realizing the guy was gay.

“Hey, I’m Cassie and this is my friend Jordan.” The girl spoke, making our gazes shift back to the two of them. Both stood with welcoming smiles which were hard not to return. Without being discussed James motioned the two over to our team.

“Now it’ll be one-on-one.”

“Sweet, so who will get who?” I questioned, helping the new girl, Cassie, with her vest and gun.

“How about we discuss that once we’re out there?”

James had a good point and we all nodded before turning towards the new recruits.

“I’m James and these are my friends Rae and Katie” His hands moved from one of us to the other as he introduced us to both Cassie and Jordan.

“Nice to meet you.” The two of them said, almost in sync.

“You all need to get ready.”

All of us listened to Dan and once again headed over to our doors. This time though I didn’t glance back at Craig. He would just say the same thing to me and I’d have to prove him wrong. Last time was a tie, but I was sure to win this round. Both Cassie and Jordan lined up next to us, this obviously not being their first time at the Laser Tag place.

“Go!” Just like before the doors opened and we all ran through, grouping as soon as we entered, watching the doors close when we were are in.

“Alright. Now that we’re in it’s safe to talk about who we’re getting.” Katie announced, huddling us together. “The three of us had split up the other five and each of us got a certain person or pair.” Both Cassie and Jordan nodded, understanding her words and encouraging her to go on. “Since there’s now five versus five we can each take one person so I’ll take Jake again. The kid with brown hair and green eyes.” The two must’ve seen Jake and got who she was talking about.

“I’ll take Jared again.” James offered. Katie and I smiled.

“Sounds good.” Katie looked over at me asking, “Is it alright if you get Craig, I don’t know if the two of them saw him behind everyone else.” I nodded, my lips pulling back into a sinister smile. I was going to get him good.

“Cassie, there was a guy with blonde hair. His name is Kent. Would you mind getting him?”

“Not at all.” Cassie replied, pulling her gun out of its holster and raising it up as if to aim.

“The last person is Ian. Jordan, you’re going to get him. He’s the one who we were making fun of because he couldn’t get his vest on earlier.” All of us chuckled a bit, still finding it funny at how angry he had gotten.

“I’ve got him.” Jordan reassured us, backing up as we all pulled out our guns and mocked what Cassie had just done.

“Okay everyone, break!” Each went a different way, mine different from the last. Instead of going left I went right thinking that if Craig and Kent still thought I was going after them, they were going to try to seek up on me like before, but not this time. It was my turn to show who was boss.

The songs were changed from the round before, but still upbeat and blasting through the speakers. The lights went with the bass of the music and changed rather quickly like before. The right side had different rooms then the left and different ramps leading to the upper levels. Deciding on a different route, I stayed on the bottom floor.

My tactics were kind of the same, kind him first, but wasn’t that everyone’s main goal, to find each other? It was lucky enough that we all found each other pretty quick last round, but I had a feeling this one was going to be different.

Careful not to make the same mistakes as before, I glanced around myself every few steps, checking each direction for any sign of movement. When nothing was spotted I continued onward, searching for the guy I was going to take down.

A noise was made and I pressed my body flat up against a wall, holding my gun with both hands. My head moved from side it side making my hair swish, but it’s like I wasn’t there by the way Jared raced by, laughing as James ran close behind him.

Some shooting noises were heard over the music, but other than that it was just me and music again. Sighing sat how easy it was for James to find Jared I pressed forward. It was kind of boring when you weren’t chasing or shooting at someone. I mean that’s what laser tag is all about.

I was just about to take another step towards some side room when I heard something behind me. Before I could turn my head not just something, but someone was behind me. A gasp left me lips when a body was pressed up against my back.

“Why hello there pretty lady. You weren’t possibly looking for me, were you?” His velvety voice rang over the music and into my ears making my body melt.

“N-not at all.” I stuttered, making me mentally smack myself. Anyone would definitely know I was lying.

“Oh okay so you wouldn’t mind if I did this?” Without an answer from me my vest vibrated and went black.

“You ass!” I judged, whipping around to face Craig.

“What?” He asked innocently, smirking in my direction.

My face scrunched together in frustration. He just had to go and sneak up on me! I wanted to be angry, but as I scanned him over my hormones got the best at me and I couldn’t help, but check him out. He was just wearing a pair of jeans, but they fit him nicely along with his t-shirt.

“Like what ya see?” He wondered out loud which made my cheeks heat up. Lucky for me though, all the lights made it hard to see skin colors.

“Nah, I’ve seen better.” His smirk fell and one plastered itself across my lips. I didn’t know where the sudden confidence had come from, but I kind of liked it. I felt sexy as Craig stepped towards me. Without thinking my legs moved backwards. It was a move they were accustomed to if someone had gotten this close to me. Too bad they backed me into the wall.

“Oh really? You’ve seen better, than this?” His hands motioned to his body, making my eyes run over him.

I didn’t answer, only nodded, which made him chuckle softly, taking another step towards me. We had been in this position so many times before, his face close to mine, breaths mixing as we both breathed in and out.

“Rae, I’ve known you long enough to tell when you’re lying.” He mumbled, a smile gracing his lips.

“Alright, so maybe you’re good looking, but not that great.” I told him, leaning in a bit. Each time we were here, in this position, I wanted him closer. I wanted his lips against mine. To feel his body pressed up to mine. Damn, it made me sound like a slut, but as soon as his lips brushed mine I was lost. I didn’t care what people would think of me if they saw this.

“Is that so?” With each word his upper lip touched mine, creating a delicious friction between us. I wanted both of his lips moving with mine and I wasn’t going to just let him stand there and mock me. This confidence I was getting was creating a whole new me as I pulled Craig face down towards mine, our lips crushing together.

Our bodies molded against one another almost immediately, not letting a single piece of paper be able to make it through us. These past couple of days we couldn’t just sit in each other’s embrace without being seen or being suspicious. It was difficult and the both of us had just had it.

‘Man, I really was a slut.’ I thought to myself as Craig ran his hand down one of my legs and hitched it up around his waist. It was like an opposite reaction. As his hand went down, mine went up, running along his chest. The move made tingles throughout my body and I couldn’t help, but feel giddy.

He nipped lightly on my lower lip making me open to let a gasp slip from my lips. He took that second to slide his tongue in to wrestle with mine.

It was lie he was a drug that I just couldn’t get enough of.

The lights were flashing around us, but I could hardly tell with this gorgeous guy in front of me, kissing me senseless. My eyes were shut from the pleasure that he was giving me as he slowly made his way down from my lips to my jaw, biting and sucking the delicate skin.

Something rose in my throat. I tried hard to keep it down, but the way he moved across my skin had a moan escape my lips. I felt a smile form across my skin. He made his way up towards my ear, pulling away slightly so he could breath, “I love the noises you make.” That just made me lose it. I pulled his lips back to mine and lost my hands in his hair, each finger getting tangled in the soft brown strands.

I was so lost in our kiss that I didn’t even feel my vest start back up letting me know I had been brought back into the game. No, it wasn’t that that brought me back to reality. It was the loud gasp.

The gasp that hadn’t come from neither Craig nor I.

We both heard it and pulled away suddenly, turning both of our bodies around to face the way it had come from.

“Shit,” left both of our lips as we saw the red headed girl standing in front of us with her jaw and gun dropped.

“Katie?” I asked, so hoping that it was just a dream and she wasn’t standing in front of us.

I was wrong. She shook her head and pulled the vest off, turning on her heel and running from Craig and I.

“Katie!” She didn’t stop and I felt guilt suddenly form in my stomach. The butterflies from excitement now turned into butterflies of guilt.

“Shit, shit, shit!” I grumbled, smacking my hand into my forehead. How could I be so stupid to make a scene with Craig in such a place like this?! “God dammit!” I felt something grab my hand and I turned to see Craig. “What the hell am I going to say?” I asked him, looking back at the way Katie had ran off in.

“Let her cool down and then go find her.” He suggested and that was all I could do. That and hope to God that she wouldn’t tell a single soul.