I Found Myself Falling...Not For the Right Thing Either

Chapter 38

“Shh, someone will see us!” I whispered to Craig as he smirked back at me.

“What? You don’t want to be caught?” I glared at him and he snickered as we grabbed our popcorn and headed towards the movie room.

“Talking about getting caught, we need to talk about this whole hickey thing Mister!” I hissed.

“I thought I did some nice artwork there, didn’t you think so?” If looks could kill, mine would’ve struck Craig down in a heartbeat. “Hey! They didn’t even find out.” He pointed out. It got me angry how calm he was talking about this.

“They think I’m dating some hot mystery guy!”

“Well, they’ve got the hot part down.” He turned to wink at me before saying, “I can be mysterious too. I mean girls like the sexy mysterious guy, right?”

“I’m going to kill you.” I growled which caused him to chuckle more.

“Come on. You loved me making that mark and as long as nobody finds out, we’re fine. Now, let’s go watch our movie.”

Okay, so maybe picking the most popular movie theater in our town wasn’t the best idea, but it was the only one playing the movie we were going to see at this time and it was the only time Craig and I could both get away from everyone.

“You know… This whole sneaking around this is beginning to get kind of fun.” Craig said, popping a few pieces of popcorn into his mouth.

“I was going to say the complete opposite.” I muttered as I reached for his hand, not before looking around first though.

“You don’t like the thrill of knowing we could get caught any second?” He asked me, pulling me into his side as we continued towards theater four.

“I like that part; I just don’t like the fact that if we do get caught we’re both screwed.”

Craig only snorted in return making me grimace. “You need to stop worrying so much. You’re starting to get frown lines.”

That made my mouth fall open.

“Wrong choice of words?”’

My head nodded slowly and he pulled our hands apart as he made a dash for the theater.

“Get back here you asshole!” I yelled back at him as we raced towards the door entrance, popcorn pieces falling after us.

The doors flung open as I chased after Craig, my eyes taking a second to get used to the dark room of the theater, but as soon as a commercial started and the room lit up I caught sight of a certain brown haired beauty. My eyes narrowed, but he only smiled in return, acting as if he said nothing as he raced up towards the top row.

Luckily, not many people were here yet since the commercials were still going and the movie hadn’t official started yet. I normally hated being early to movies, but if it helped us get seats and not be seen walking in together it was worth it.

When I got to the seats Craig had saved I plopped into the seat next to him.

“I didn’t mean it-” Cutting him off, I replied,

“Don’t talk to me.”

This caused him to frown as well. He reached for my hand, but I pulled it away faster than he moved towards it making his lips curve even more downward.

“I’m sorry. I was just kidding.” He tried to apologize, but before I could say something else, a certain pair of people caught my eye. A girl with long black hair and a boy with blonde hair started climbing the stairs in the aisle on the side opposite of us. I elbowed Craig making his cough.

“Look who’s on a date!” I exclaimed, pointing towards the two.

“Oh so now you’ll talk to me.” I turned around to see him smirking his usual smirk.

“You know I can get up and leave.” His lips flattened into a straight line and this made me laugh. “I was just kidding.” I mumbled, leaning my head forward to bring our lips together for a quick kiss. “Now, look over there. It’s Kent and Cassie!” He rolled his eyes, but followed my finger and looked at the couple. “They look so cute.” I cooed.

“Hey! We looked cuter!” My eyebrow arched as I turned to stare at Craig in question. “Okay, we’re sexier, how about that? Does it sound manlier?” I laughed at his word choice and nodded.

“Sounds great.” I proceeded to stare at Kent and Cassie. Maybe that was weird, but I thought it was cute as they talked and laughed, him wrapping his arm around her and leaning in close to hear what she had to say. It reminded me of our relationship. Kent was always so sweet. He always listened and tried to figure out what was wrong with me if there ever was.

It was nice seeing he moved on and that he could treat another girl the same nice way he treated me.

“Stop staring, it’s creepy.” Craig whispered in my ear, a chill running down my spine.

“It’s not like they can see me.” I muttered to him and he chuckled.

“You’re paying more attention to your ex on our date.”

I frowned… I guess I hadn’t noticed that. “Sorry.” I replied, facing back towards Craig. His lips pulled back into a small smile so that I could see his white teeth.

“It’s alright, but now that I have you all to myself-” Before he could finish his sentence, the theater went dark and the movie started to play. He groaned which made me laugh quietly. I faced towards the screen, but leant my head against Craig’s shoulder. Hopefully nobody would see us up here in the corner.

A few seconds later, my hand was nudged and our fingers were laced together making me smile. Leaning even more into Craig, I got comfortable and reached for my popcorn.

“You know, last time we had popcorn…” I trailed off and his chuckles made my head vibrate against his body.

“That was a good nice, wasn’t it?”

I laughed and nodded, “It really was. Come to think of it, did you ever get that stain out?” I asked, looking up at him. The lights of the movies flickered across his eyes letting me catch a glimpse of the blue pools I had fallen in love with… Whoa, where did that come from?

Craig’s eyebrows scrunched together as he thought over my question before answering, “I have no clue where that shirt even went. We were in such a hurry I think I left it in Jake’s room.”

“Of course you did.” I mumbled, turning back to face the screen.

“I was too distracted by someone else getting dressed…” He trailed off and I knew he was talking about me. I mind as well just permanently change my skin color to red because of how much blushing I did now a days.

“To my defens-”

“Will you guys shut up?! Some people are trying to watch a movie!”

That voice. Our bodies froze in place; Craig’s muscles rippled a bit as he tightened his hold on me.

“Sorry.” I mumbled in an incoherent voice. If he knew it was me, us.

“We’re done for.” Craig whispered in my ear and we both turned our gaze to a few rows down ahead of us.

There sat Jake and Katie.

“Shit, shit, shit, shit!” My voice got louder with each one which caused Katie’s head to turn around. I could see her eyes narrow slightly, but they suddenly became wide as she realized who we were.

“God damn it! I knew we should’ve gone to the other theater.” Craig groaned, his hand running down his face, but all I could see was Jake. If he turned around we would be caught. There would be absolutely no way to tell him that this wasn’t as it seemed.

There was no way to avoid it.

I gripped Craig’s hand and bit my lip as I watched Katie raise her eyebrows at us and motion to Jake. I nodded my head as if to tell her we knew that he was there, but when his head started to turn I swear my blood ran cold.

We were totally caught.

Just as I started to see Jake’s face, Katie gripped it in her hands and pulled his face to hers.

“We’ve got like a little time to move theaters, but I can’t promise anything.” With that, Craig grabbed my hand and I grabbed our popcorn as he pulled us across the rows of seats.

We quickly made our way through the aisles, trying to duck when in front of people since the movie was playing. A few people commented others just glared or kept quiet. I muttered a few ‘sorry’s as we passed, but it didn’t really help. Craig’s gripped tightened on my hand as we went down a few rows, but still stayed near the top since Jake and Katie were down lower.

“We can’t sit here.” I muttered as he stopped in front of a pair of seats.

“Why not?” He asked, turning to face me. “You actually brought the popcorn?” A smirk started to grace his lips when I smacked his back to get him moving again.

“It’s like ten dollars for a small these days I’m not giving this up so easily and when we have hardly had any!” He just chuckled as I got a few more glares from people.

Maybe I should just stop talking today. It was getting me into bad situations.

“Alright, here.” Craig plopped down into a seat, pulling me after him which caused me to fall into his lap.

“Shit, sorry!” I mumbled as he groaned underneath me.

“It’s alright.” He managed as I shifted my body, trying to relieve some pressure, but this only caused him to groan and lean forward. “You’ve got to either move or sit in the seat right here or else I’m going to do something that will catch a lot of attention.” I squeaked, realizing what I had done, making my cheeks red hot again. I decided to get up and sit in the seat next to him.

“Sorry.” I squeaked again, my voice quieter this time.

“Just give me some of the popcorn.” He laughed, reaching his left hand over and into the popcorn bowl while grabbing mine with his right.

Missing the first couple of minutes of the movie didn’t affect us that much, we still found out how he made the teddy bear come alive, but the rest of the movie had us laughing at the crude jokes or gestures. It was just one of those kinds of movies.

The rest of the movie was fine. We stopped talking so that everyone would take their eyes off of us, but as the credits scrolled up the screen, we knew we were going to have to get up, but Jake and Katie weren’t going as fast as we had hoped.

“Maybe Katie’s stalling for us.”

“Doubt it.” Craig muttered. “Jake always takes long to get up, but I think this is our only chance. We don’t want to be the only ones in here with them.” I nodded, agreeing with him. He was right. If we stayed we would for sure be caught.

My eyes wandered down towards Katie and Jake. They were talking, but still sitting where they were before. Who stayed after the movie ended?!

My idiot brother

Thank god I didn’t go to movies with him anymore. I kind of felt bad for Katie, but the way she was leaned in made it look like she was really interested in the conversation the two of them were having.

“I have an idea.”

I looked up at Craig and nodded my head, urging him to continue.

“If we get up, but I keep you on my right side he won’t see you. Even if he does, I’ll be covering most of you so he’ll just think I’m with some random slut.” My expression fell and he shook his head. “I’m not calling you a slut.” He quickly finished.

“I know it’s just weird that your best friend doesn’t even know you’ve changed.”

His gaze fell as he nodded. My heart kind of broke. He wasn’t as close as he was with his best friend anymore. At least Katie knew, there were no more secrets between the two of us, but Jake and Craig were different. “Come on.” He tugged on my hand making me get up from the theater seat and head down the stairs in the aisles. “Be quiet so we don’t draw attention.” He whispered to me.

I nodded in response and continued to walk alongside Craig. My head remained down in an effort to go by unnoticed and we both sighed in relief as we made it to the bottom of the staircase and made a dash towards the theater doors.

“We did it!” I shrieked when we pushed through the doors. I turned around to crash my lips against Craig’s. His smiled into the kiss, making it wider when we pulled away.

“That was easier than I thought it would’ve been.” Craig said. I agreed, smiling before watching him draw closer to me. Our eyes both shut as our lips connected once again. My arms instantly wound around his neck and his grabbed my waist. Like I always said, fireworks. My body always ignited and made me feel alive when I was kissing Craig. It always felt so right. The moment was like the rest of them, kind of perfect. Well, that was until.

“Craig? Rae?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Who do you think it is? Is it Jake? Is it Katie? Kent? Liz, maybe? Ian? Jared or Robert? Who could it be? You'll have to read the next chapter to find out. :)