Seduction Leads to Destruction

Chapter 24

“I’m home!” I dropped my bag beside a table we had in our foyer, leaving my keys in the glass dish that we kept on the wooden surface.

“Finally! I’ve been trying to get a hold of you for a little while now.” My father answered to my call, appearing at the top of our staircase.

I reached into my jacket pocket and pulled my phone out, flipping it open and holding it into the air. The screen remained black even though it was opened.

“It died, sorry.” I explained, tossing it next to the bowl for our keys and then proceeded to take off my heels. I heard a sigh and then footsteps as my dad came down the stairs.

“Well, since you don’t like to inform me that you got detention before your phone dies, go get ready now.” My eyebrows scrunched together as I looked up at him through my dark brown curls.

“What? Why? Ready for what?”

I took these few seconds to see that he was wearing. A white dress shirt with navy blue tie wrapped around his neck and a pair of black dress pants.

“Where are we going?” I asked, this time really wanting an answer.

“Dad, does this go on like this…?”

I looked back up the stairs to where my little brother stood with a tie wrapped around his neck and then tied like a knot for shoes, a bow topping it off. I stifled a laugh and it seemed as my dad did to because he had to take a deep breath before answering, “No, Chris.” My brother’s face fell and my dad couldn’t hold his chuckles any longer.

“Hayden, go get ready and Chris let me help you with that.”

I bit my lip and my face scrunched a bit. I wasn’t informed of these plans at all earlier in the day or this week for that matter. Shrugging, I decided to let it go and get ready. I could use a night to just go out with my family and not have to deal with drama. So, walking up the stairs to my room, I tried to decide on what to wear.

My dad was pretty dressed up and so was Chris so, I was thinking about a dress as I entered my room, ready to pull off my shirt when I remembered my phone was dead. Turning around, I skipped down to the foyer to grab my phone and then headed back up the stairs again. This time I actually pulled my shirt up and over my head when I got into my room, closing my door behind me.

Thinking I didn’t have much time, I plugged in my phone, waiting for the symbol to show up, letting me know it was turning on, before heading to my closet. I nibbled on my bottom lip as I stared into my clothing filled closet. Lindsay had always been jealous of my closet because I had so many clothes, though most were my mother’s. After she had passed I had taken her wardrobe and added it to mine. Basically tripling how many clothes I had. I just couldn’t let her clothes be boxed up and put in the attic or thrown away.

“Hayden?!”

“I’m getting ready!” I reassured my dad, quickly finding a wine colored dress and pulling it off of the hanger.

As I wiggled out of my jeans I heard my phone buzz. I took a quick glance at it, seeing my father’s name come across the screen I realized it had to be the message he had left me when I was still at school so I continued what I was doing, unzipping the back of the dress that I had picked out.

The purplish-red color of the dress went well with my dark brown curls and the tight fitted bodice looked nice, but I didn’t know where we were going or who it was with so as the dress progressed, it became more of a party dress with a tulle layered shirt, the same color as the top. Just as I stepped into the garment, my hone buzzed again. Confused, I pulled the dress up to my chest and then went over to where my cell was lying on my bed.

My eyes narrowed at the name that flashed on the device. I picked up my phone and opened it, but only to click ignore and set it back down.

He wasn’t going to ruin my night.

Instead of answering to the call from the devil right now, I held the dress tighter to my chest, pulling the straps up so I could fit my arms through and once that was done I tried my best to zip up the back which went surprisingly well. After, I pulled out a pair of black peep toe shoes, since I loved that kind of heel so much that it was half of my shoe collection, and applied a layer of matching lipstick to my lips.

“Are you ready yet?” My father asked, just outside my door. I glanced at my phone on my bed and decided to leave it, hurrying to the door which I opened to let me dad see that I was ready to go. His lips tugged back into a smile as he brought forward his hand and brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. “You’re looking more like her every day.” Those words brought my smile to my own lips.

“Come on old man before you get all soft and teary eyed on me.” I mumbled closing my bedroom door behind me and making my way back down the stairs. Chris had already gotten his shoes on and was waiting by the door so I grabbed a leather jacket I had in our closet in the foyer and pulled it over my shoulders.

“Are we all ready?” Dad asked, turning off the light we had on in our kitchen.

“Yeah.” Both Chris and I answered him, opening the front door and walking out.

“Dang, I feel like a little kid.” I muttered as we walked to the car.

“It’s family night!” Chris declared and I laughed.

“Definitely is.” We all piled in the car and turned on the radio. Our voices filled the car as we sung terribly to the songs that played on the different radio stations, but that was it. I didn’t even bother asking who we were meeting or where we were going, but when we turned and got on the expressway I figured we were going out to a restaurant. My assumptions were right too when we pulled into a parking lot ten minutes later.

“Never been here. This isn’t some business meeting, now is it?” My father shook his head answering, ‘No.’

“Finally!” Chris huffed, jumping in his seat. “We’ve been in there for too long.”

“It’s only been twenty minutes.” I informed him.

“Still too long, I’m too hungry to sit in a car with no snacks.”

“Well, we’re here so stop complaining.”

I took a look at the restaurant and it was definitely an upper class place. From the outside you could look in. It was one of those places where it was mostly windows in the front so you could see into the dining area. There was everything, even valet parking! As we pulled up to the entrance and all got out of the car I thanked God that I had picked this dress and looked nice rather than throwing on a pair of jeans and a nice top.

“I don’t think my friend’s here yet, so let’s go inside and wait.” Chris and I did as my dad said and walked towards the doors. A man held it open for us as he walked out.

“Thank you.” I told him, grabbing the door and holding it open.

The place was beyond gorgeous with white and red painted walls with gold trim all around. The ceilings were high and most of the floor was open. Tables covered in white cloths and the booths red, the chairs gold. Every little detail in the place was amazing. It made me feel so out of place.

“Reservation for Jones.” My father told a man standing at a podium in the front of the restaurant.

“Alright now, follow her.” My eyes followed the man’s finger which pointed to a woman who had her hair in a high bun and she was dressed in a typical waiter outfit, the pants, shirt and apron thing.

We all walked behind her, me having to give Chris a shove every now and then to keep him walking. He must’ve been as stunned as I was. I didn’t even know this place had existed!

The waitress stopped in front of a round booth, circling around almost into a complete circle. She told us that she’d be back with our drink requests in just a few minutes as we slid into the gap of the booth.

“So this person must be pretty special.” I said as soon as the waitress walked away. My father shrugged.

“An old friend,” was all he said, his eyes holding a secret meaning to his words. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to think of any old friends that my dad hadn’t seen in a while. “Ah, he’s here now.” My head whipped around quickly almost giving me whiplash, but that was the least of my worries as I stared at who was coming towards us.

Not only did I have to deal with an asshole already today, but here was jackass number two.