Status: Will be updated :)

I Don't Want You! Or Maybe I Do

Chapter Twelve

"Katie, wake up honey." I faintly heard someone say. My eyes fluttered open to see Shaun above me, smiling sweetly. I smiled a small smile back, before closing my eyes again. My head was pounding. I heard Shaun chuckle lightly before he kissed my forehead. The next time I opened my eyes, Belle was beside me sleeping. I must've fallen asleep. I yawned and stretched. I could hear voices in the lounge room. My curiosity got the better of as as I walked down the hallway (after making sure Belle wouldn't fall off the bed). I heard the voices more clearly now. My mum and Shaun were talking.
"She has amnesia?" Mum asked.
"The doctor said it should only be temporary."
"Does she remember me?" Mum asked.
"Yes, of course she does. She can't remember before she met me." Shaun answered.
"Maybe that's a good thing." My mum said.
"What do you mean by that?"
"I know what you've done to her Shaun. I know how you cheated, how you hurt her."
"I tried to make it better." Shaun defended.
"You'll never change. You'll always be like that, no matter how hard you try. It's better for Kate to just forget about you." Mum shot at him.
"You can't decide what's best for Kate, she had to decide that for herself." Shaun told her.
"She can't, she doesn't even remember you."
"That's not true. She remembers some things." Shaun pointed out.
"But does she remember how you upset her? Or does she remember what you want her to remember?" Mum asked.
"She remembers what she remembers. It's all up to her." Shaun told her.
"But she doesn't remember that bad things?"
"I don't know what she remembers. I only know what she tells me she remembers."
"One day she'll remember, and then she'll hate you. I only want to save her from being hurt later." Mum said. I walked out to see Mum and Shaun standing, facing each other, glaring. Shaun was the first to look at me.

"Why would I be hurt?" I asked. Mum looked at Shaun.
"Have fun explaining." She said, before walking out the door. I looked over at Shaun. He beckoned me over. He hugged me. I hugged back, kind of worried. What would he tell me?
"Promise you won't hate me?"
"I promise." He sat me down on the lounge, sitting across from me.
"You still can't remember what I told you before the accident?" He asked. I shook my head. He sighed.
"I told you about the only other girl, besides you, I ever loved, back when I was younger. She didn't love me, and continued to cheat on me. She broke my heart, and because of her I hadn't been able to love, or ever trust, women. Until you." He told me. "But even with you, I was still scared. Scared that you didn't love me, that it was all a lie." I looked at him.
"So, you cheated on me?" I asked. He nodded.
"But, I never meant to. That's why the accident happened. You were going to run away, because I hurt you, and then I found you. But you said you were going to talk to Cass, and on the way there was when the accident happened." He explained.
"So, Cass wasn't lying when she said you cheated and hurt me?" I asked. Shaun shook his head. He sat there in silence, not looking at me, most likely waiting for me to yell, or walk out, or something. But instead, I did something he never would've expected. I sat on his lap and hugged him. He was just as hurt as I was, or had been anyway. He hugged me back after a few seconds, no doubt because my reaction had shocked him.
"I did promise I wouldn't hate you." I reminded him.

There was a knock at the door. I got up and walked over, opening it. Mum was standing there.
"Ready to go?" She asked.
"I'm not going anywhere." I told her. Shaun walked over to me, taking my hand in his. Our fingers interlaced, and he kissed my cheek.
"Kate, I know you think you're in love with him, but...can you really trust him?" Mum asked. I nodded.
"Yes, I can trust Shaun. Most people wouldn't have told me if they cheated and I'd forgotten, but Shaun did." I told her.
"Kate, I just don't want you getting hurt. And, you were going to come live with me anyway."
"What's your problem with Shaun?" I asked.
"N-Nothing, it's just that..." She started.
"You obviously don't want me with him. Why is that?" I asked. She sighed.
"I once dated a man like Shaun. He continued to cheat on me, even when he promised he wouldn't ever again. It hurt to stay with him, but I loved him so much. I couldn't leave. In the end, I had to get my sister to take me away from him. It was for the best. I don't want you to have to stay in a relationship like that." She told me.

"Please Kate, just come with me. I don't want to see you get hurt." Mum begged. Shaun squeezed my hand. I didn't know what to do. I loved Shaun, but what if he was like that man my mum was with and he hurt me, even when he promised he wouldn't? I decided to make a pro's and con's list of leaving.

Pro: I wouldn't be hurt anymore.

Con: I'd miss Shaun.

Pro: I'd be able to see my family again.

Con: I'd miss all my friends here.

Pro: I could pick up my life where I left off in Queensland.

Con: I'd miss Shaun.

The list could have continued, but all the con's would have be the same; I'd miss Shaun. Shaun put his arm around my waist, pulling me close to his side.
"Are you going, or staying?" Shaun asked me. I shrugged.
"I'll give you some time to think about it." Mum said. And with that, she left. I went over and sat back down on the lounge.
"I'm so confused Shaun." I told him. "What do I do?" I looked at him.
"Do what you think is best."
"What if I don't know what's best?" I asked him. He shrugged.
"Just think about both options, and see which one you could live with better."
"You're not gonna try and convince me to stay?" I asked.
"It's your choice, I can't make you stay. Only you know what's best for you, and if that's not me, I understand completely." I could see that sad look in his eye.
"Don't let what she said get to you." I said, hugging him.
"But it's true. I'm just like him. I hurt you, promise I won't ever again, but do anyway. How can you still love me for that?" He asked.
"Love works in weird ways." I said, quoting him. He smiled a little, but only for a second.
"I'm so sorry." He said. I kissed his nose softly.
"Shaun, stop apologising." I told him. "It's in the past." He nodded. "I'll still love you, even if you leave." He whispered in my ear.
"I'll love you even more if you stay." I laughed a little.
"Bribery?" I asked. He shrugged with a smile.
"I need to find some way to convince you to stay." He nuzzled my neck.
"Well, I wouldn't worry about it too much, because I have a good feeling I'll be staying." I assured Shaun.