Love Bug

1/1

"Hey, Shane! Come here and look at what I found!", my mom called.

I was at my parents' house because my mom had called and told me that she wanted my help sorting through some boxes she had in the attic. And me being the strong, buff 18 year old man I am, agreed to help.

"Okay I'm coming!" I climbed down the ladder and walked into my parents' bedroom, where my mom was sitting on the ground sifting through the boxes I brought down.

"Look! It's you and Hailey! You two used to do everything together, you guys were best friends." Then she frowned. "What happened?" she asked, looking up at me and handing me the picture.

The picture was taken when we were 15, and my mom launched a sneak attack on us because we fell asleep watching a movie.

"We moved Mom, remember?" I said a bit spitefully.

"Oh...right." She replied. "I thought you kept in touch with her though."

"I did, but the distance was a lot. And so eventually, we just...drifted apart."

We used to live in Miami, but we moved to New York City. My dad got transferred.

I still remember the day that I left her. I was 16.

Flashback:

She stood there while I helped my dad load boxes into the U-Haul. "Do you have to go?" She asked for the hundredth time.

I looked at her sadly, "Yea. I do."

She looked down at her feet. "Promise to call and text and video chat and all that shiz, all the time?" She asked quietly.

I put down the box that I was holding to go over and hug her tightly.

She wrapped her arms around me too, holding me just as tight as I was holding her.

"I promise I will. All the time. So much that you'll be begging me to stop." I said, chuckling.

She laughed and said, "Never. I'll always be there."

We pulled apart and I noticed she was crying.

"Don't cry Hails. Remember, that I'll always be there for you, no matter how far apart we are. I love you." I said, trying to comfort her.

She sniffed and pushed at me a little, "I am so NOT crying. 'Specially over YOU of all people."

I grinned and said "Of course you're not."

She rolled her eyes and smiled, "But I love you too."

"Shane," my mom called, "It's time to go."

I looked back, and then looked at Hailey again.

"I guess I have to go now..." I said softly.

"Yea, I guess you do" She whispered. Then, she threw her arms around my neck in a tight embrace. I placed my arms around her waist and squeezed, wishing that I didn't have to let go.

After a couple of seconds, we loosened our hold, stepping back a little, but not so far that we weren't still holding each other some what.

I looked down at her, staring into her eyes.

She looked back at me, with eyes filled with sadness.

I hugged her again, resting my chin on her head.

And we stayed like that until my mom called again. And I got in the car, and we drove away.

It wasn't until I was in the car, and we were driving...that I realized that I not only loved Hailey, but I was IN love with her.

Flashback End


My mom noticed that I was just standing there, staring at the picture and said softly, "You know...her mom called me and told me that she was going to be in the city for university...she left me Hailey's number too..."

I looked up at her.

"Can I have it?"

"Sure."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stared down at my phone, wondering if I should call her. I was back at the dorms of NYU now. Staring between the piece of paper with her phone number on it and my phone.

Come on now Shane. Be. A. Man. Just pick up the phone and dial the damn number. What's the worst that can happen?

I didn't really want to think about that so I took a deep breath and dialed the number.

Ring...

Ring...

Ri- Hello?

I cleared my throat and said "Hailey?"

"Yea...wait...Shane?!"

I gaped at the phone. "What the..how'd you know it was me??"

"Oh please, I'd recognize your girlish voice anywhere."

I scoffed.

"I do NOT have a girlish voice! I am 18. I am a MAN."

"OH PLEASE! You're a boy. Do I need to remind you who won all those fights when we were kids?"

"No, I remember very clearly that it was me."

"Were you dropped on your head as a baby, it was sooo me." She replied.

"Was not."

"Was too"

"Was not."

"Was too."

"Was not"

"Was not"

"Was too."

"HA HA! I win again" She said in a singsongy tone.

"Crap, how do you always do that." I said shaking my head."

"I'm special."

"Yea...you are."

Then there was silence.

"Thanks, Shane..." She said softly.

"So, um anyways, how have you been?" I asked.

"If you had called, you would know.." She said sadly.

"I know...I'm sorry...it's just...I got so busy an-" She cut me off.

"Too busy for your bestest friend in the whole wide world?" She replied.

I smiled slightly. When we were kids, we used to tell each other that..

"Let me make it up to you." I said

She sighed. "How."

"Spend the day with me tomorrow, we'll get to know each other again."

There was silence...but then

"Alright...I'll meet you at your parents' place tomorrow. I have to drop off a photo album for your mom anyways."

"A..photo album?" I asked

"Yea, really long story. But anyways see you then. I have to go, Good night." She said.

"Yea, sweet dreams."

Then we hung up. I sort of wish that I could have talked to her longer, but I'd be seeing her tomorrow anyways so...

--The Next Day--

I arrived at my parents' place and parked in the drive way, noticing that there was another car there.

Looks like Hailey is here.

I walked up to the door and rang the doorbell.

Called you for the first time yesterday

The door opened and I saw Hailey.

She squealed and ran towards me, jumping into my arms.

I finally found a missing part of me

I laughed and spun her around.

I felt so close but you were far away

She laughed and I put her down.

Left me without anything to say

"I missed you so much!" She said, still in my arms.

"I missed you more. I haven't seen you in so long." I said, taking a step back and looking at her.

Now I'm speechless
Over the edge, I'm just breathless
I never thought that I'd catch this lovebug again
Hopeless, head over heels in the moment
I never thought that I'd get hit by this love bug again


"Wow, you...look good." I said, in awe.

She blushed and shoved me a little and said "Yea well...you look good too."

Our eyes met again, but the moment was broken when my mom called out to her and said "Hailey! Who was at the door?"

"It's Shane!"

"Oh! Good! It's about time that you guys got together again. Now thank you for the photo album I asked for. I take it that you two have plans together, yes?" She stepped outside the house and looked at us expectantly.

"Yea, we do. But we can stay here and chill with you if you want, Mom." I said.

"Awww, such a devoted momma's boy" Hailey teased.

I shoved her lightly.

My mom chuckled and said, "No, that's alright. I have your father to keep me company while we look at the photos. Have fun kids!" And with that she shut the door.

"So, what do you want to do?" I asked.

She looked up and said, "Well, seeing as its cloudy, and I'm not in the mood to get soaked by rain..how about we go to my apartment and just chill. I have popcorn and we can have a movie day!"

She grinned.

"Its just like old times" I said, grinning.

Then, she punched me in the arm. "And THAT is for letting us drift apart for the last couple of years."

I rubbed my arm and said, "Yea, just like old times."

"Yea, exactly" She said.

We reached the driveway and looked at the two cars.

"So, do you wanna just follow me in your car? Ooor we can take my car and leave your car here? Ooor we could j-"

I laughed and said, "I think we can just take your car."

She laughed and said "Alright."

"But on one condition." I said.

"What?"

"I drive."

--At Hailey's Apartment--

"Its a nice place you got here" I said

"Yea I know. Since I paid for the car myself, my parents decided that they could get me an apartment for a graduation present. Its not that big, one bedroom, full bath, kitchen, living room, you know."

"Its perfect for you." I said, looking around.

"Yea, I know." She smiled.

I can't get your smile out of my mind
(I can't get you out of my mind)


"The movies are over there by the tv, I'm just gonna go change. Its really humid in here." She said, reaching over the couch to turn on the AC.

I couldn't help it, my eyes drifted of their own accord, down towards her butt.

Suddenly she turned around and my eyes snapped back up towards her face.

"Were you just checking me out?" She said.

I felt my face turn red as I said "N-no. I was just...admiring...the quality of your couch."

She rolled her eyes and said "Tsh. Riiight. Well, I'm gonna go change, while you pick out a movie."

I nodded and she left towards the door that I assumed was her bedroom.

I crouched down in front of her movie case and took my time choosing a movie. I heard footsteps come down the hallway, but then they stopped.

I turned around slightly and noticed that Hailey's eyes were focused on something that I had been admiring on her just a couple of minutes ago.

I turned back around and said "Like what you see?"

She scoffed and said "I have no idea what you're talking about."

I smirked, "Tsh. Riiight." I said, mocking her.

I could just feel her rolling her eyes as she made her way to the small kitchen.

"Whatever" She said, grabbing two bags of microwavable popcorn and taking out this HUGE bowl out of the cupboard.

"Woah," I said, walking towards her. "Where did you get that?"

"It was a gift from my friend. She knows I like watching movies so, hence the huge popcorn bowl." She said pointing at the pictures of popcorn kernels on the sides.

"Nice." I said.

"Mhm" she said, looking over at me. I then noticed that she had changed into a old t-shirt and shorts.

I think about your eyes all the time
You're beautiful but you don't even try
(You don't even, don't even try)
Modesty is just so hard to find


I frowned as I looked closer.

"Is that my shirt?" I asked, incredulously.

Her eyes widened as she looked at me again.

"Um...maybe." She said as the microwave beeped. She opened the door and the bag and poured it into the bowl. Then, she put another bag into the microwave and set it.

Wow...she kept my shirts?

I grinned. "I KNEW some of my shirts were missing when I unpacked, but I just figured that it got lost somehow."

She smiled. "Well yea, they decided they wanted a new owner and found me" she said, sticking her tongue out at me.

"Right well, they look better on you anyways." I said.

"They do? Thanks..." She said, turning the full force of her beautiful chocolate brown eyes on me.

Now I'm speechless over the edge, I"m just breathless
I never thought that I'd catch this lovebug again
Hopeless, head over heels in the moment
I never thought that I'd get hit, by this lovebug again


"It's true..." I said.

She blushed and said "So, have you picked out a movie yet?"

"Um, yea. A Walk To Remember."

She looked up as the microwave beeped again and she repeated the process.

"Aww, you remembered!" She said, taking the bowl and leading me towards the couch.

I like how even though we haven't seen each other in 2 years, everything can just go back to being the same. Comfortable.

"Of course I remembered" I said, "How could I not? You made me watch it all the time with you. It's your favorite."

"Yea.." she said.

Suddenly, she set down the bowl on the coffee table and turned around and hugged me tightly. I immediately hugged her back, my arms going around her small waist as we rocked back and forth.

"Thank you" She said, looking up and smiling.

I looked at her, confused. "For?"

"Calling me."

I smiled, "If you ask me, it was a long due phone call. Now come on, let's go watch you cry when Jamie dies."

She stuck her tongue out at me as she said "Its not my fault! It's sooo sad"

I sighed. "Come on! Let's watch." I said, pulling her down next to me.

I had already popped the DVD in so she just pressed play.

And then we sat back, popcorn bowl between us, and watched.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time Landon was building Jamie a telescope, my arm was around Hailey and her head was on my shoulder, the popcorn bowl sitting on my lap.

Our hands reached into the bowl at the same time and met.

We looked at each other, looked down, and looked back up again.

I smiled and fed her some popcorn. She grinned as her teeth grazed my fingers.

I gulped as she looked back at the screen, and I fed myself some popcorn to calm myself.

Yea. I think its safe to say those feelings from 2 years ago are still there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time Landon and Jamie were getting married, we were laying on the couch, her head lying under my chin, popcorn bowl on the floor, having been finished when Jamie was in the hospital.

I wasn't really watching the movie, I was watching her. Thinking about what it would be like if I kissed her.

Probably amazing.

As if she read my mind, she looked up at me.

"Why are you staring at me? Do I have something on my face?"

"No, its just..."

"Just what?" She said softly, sitting up.

I sat up with her.

"I just really missed you that''s all."

She smiled. "Me too."

"It's just...I really..really...missed you" I said, moving closer to her so that our faces were centimeters away from each other.

"I did too" She whispered, her eyes going from my eyes to my lips.

"Yea.." I said as I gently kissed her waiting lips.

I'd been waiting to do this for two years, and I couldn't have been happier when I finally got the courage.

It felt so..right holding her in my arms.

It felt so right kissing her.

And I'm guessing that she felt it too because she was kissing me back.

When we broke apart, which was far too soon if you ask me..

She smacked my arm.

I looked at her in horror and went "Was it that bad!?"

She rolled her eyes and said, "NO! But do you KNOW how long I was waiting for that?! My gosh." But then she smiled and said, "Shane?"

"Yea?" I said, rubbing my arm.

She kissed me again. "It was amazing."

Kissed her for the first time yesterday
Everything I wished that it would be


I grinned and pulled her back on top of me so we could finish watching the movie.

"Hailey?"

"Yea?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Do you even have to ask?"

Suddenly I forgot how to speak
Hopeless, breathless
Baby can't you see?


"....yea"

She rolled her eyes, "Of course I will."

"So wanna watch another movie?"

"Duh!" She giggled. "This time, YOU'RE making the popcorn, and I'M picking the movie"

Now I'm speechless, over the edge
I'm just breathless
I never thought that I'd catch this love bug again
Hopeless, head over heels in the moment
I never thought that I'd get hit by this love bug again

Love Bug again...