A Cherry Sunset

Talks + Truths

I knew I was in a hospital before I opened my eyes. It was mostly the smell that gave it away. Who knew that American hospitals smelled the same as English hospitals? The sounds seemed distant, like all I could hear were tones of voices and feet shuffles. It was weird.

The only time I’d ever been in a hospital myself was when I was eleven. This kid my parents thoughts was ‘good enough’ for me was in my backyard and my mother was forcing me to play with him. I think even at that age she was planning my future with every detail. She didn’t see the kid push me out of my own tree house though. She figured I was just clumsy and tripped on my own. As I sat in the hospital that time, all alone of course, with my left arm in a sling and preparing my eleven year old mind for surgery and a cast, I realized how much my mother didn’t actually care.

It was simple enough to push those thoughts away. I’m not eleven anymore. My mother isn’t here. And I don’t care. Yeah Emily, we all believe that one. I sighed and tried harder to clear my head of the bad memory. That became easier as a hand wrapped around mine and a soft voice whispered my name.

“Emileh?” My breath catches as I immediately recognize the voice. It seems like it’s been so long since I’ve actually heard the voice not coming through some kind of filter. I tried opening my eyes to see the face that goes with that voice but my eyelids feel so much heavier than I expected. “Come on, Emmeh.” He squeezed my hand and I couldn’t help the smile that itched the corners of my mouth upward.

I finally managed to flutter my eyes open and then focused on those hazel eyes that were staring at me so intently. He smiled wide and squeezed my hand harder for a moment. “Hey.” I was expecting it to be harder to get my own vocal chords to work, but surprisingly my throat was in perfect condition.

Oliver let out a breath slow. “Shit, Em. What the ‘ell yeh doin’ out ‘ere?” He shook his head slightly. There was worry clearly etched on his features.

“I came out here to see you, silly.” I smiled again and tried to squeeze his hand back. I was a little weaker than usual so it barely was a squeeze at all. “What are you doing here?” He raised his eyebrows and I rolled my eyes before rephrasing my question. “How did you know that I was here, in the hospital?”

“The paramedic’s picked up yeh phone an’ I was still on the line. Once I found out yeh was ran oveh, I drove ‘ere.” He chuckled under his breath as he mentioned me being ran over. I pouted at that.

“I can’t believe that car reversed into my ass.” He really laughed at that. “It’s not funny! You know, I was coming here,” my mouth got suddenly dry as I trailed off.

“Yeh’re righ’. ‘S realleh not funneh. Yeh could ‘ave gotten yehself in more trouble. Why didn’t yeh tell meh yeh were flyin’ in? I would’ve picked yeh up at the airport.” Oliver’s smile dropped a little as the worry took over his eyes again. I swallowed hard.

“It was supposed to be a surprise. I tried calling Tom to pick me up when I remembered that I’m in England and have no fucking clue about how to get to Sheffield, let alone where the hell you live. He didn’t answer though.” I mumbled and dropped my eyes to our hands. Oliver was soothingly running his fingers of his free hand over the back of my hand. I don’t even think he noticed he was doing it.

“Wankeh’s too busy with ‘is new bird teh pick up a phone.” It was meant to be a teasing line, but he couldn’t hide the slight anger in his voice. My eyebrows furrowed at both the anger and the statement.

“Tom’s got a girlfriend?” I decided to step around the oddly placed emotion and just ask about his brother.

Oliver made a face. “Not realleh. ‘S this girl ‘e went teh school with. ‘S been ‘angin’ ‘round with ‘er a lot since we got back. We all tease ‘im ‘bout it.”

“Poor Tom.” I frowned slightly. I had been around the boys enough to know just how relentless the teasing could be.

“Aye, poor Tommeh.” Oliver snorted and he actually started to smile again. “Dee’s been the worse with it.”

“I can imagine.” I giggled. “I actually tried calling her too, but no luck. Everyone seems busier now that you’re off tour than before when you were on it.”

“It takes a while teh get used teh bein’ back ‘ome.” He shrugged and his smile fell a little. I rolled my eyes.

“It doesn’t take that much. I tour too, you know.” We both chuckled and he nodded. “So, what are my chances of getting out of this place, exactly?” I looked around the empty hospital room. There wasn’t much except for me, Oliver, and a beeping heart monitor. I didn’t have any casts or braces or even an I.V. drip so I suspected the damage done by the car wasn’t too terrible.

“Slim teh none.” Oliver smirked while I rolled my eyes again. “Yeh jus had a cat scan done on yeh ‘ead, so I ‘pose yeh’ll ‘ave teh wait till the results come back fer that.” His fingertips glided up from my hand to my wrist and then up to my elbow before he trailed them down to my hand again.

I sighed. “This is what I get for trying to be spontaneous.”

“Yeh could ‘ave jus told meh yeh were comin’.” Oliver muttered again and my eyes locked with his. His eyes were so warm. The concern and worry in them made me want to melt. The reason I’d come to England in the first place bubbled in my chest again. My body felt like it was trembling as I gathered my nerve to tell him just why I was here.

“Like I said, it was supposed to be a surprise.” I squeezed his hand and smiled. “I wanted to tell you something that just couldn’t be said over the phone.”

“Wha’? ‘S everythin’ alrigh’ Emmeh?” Oliver squeezed my hand back and leaned forward a little more. I lifted my other hand and rested it on his cheek. My smile only grew at his reaction.

“It’s better than alright, Oliver. I love you.” There it was. The words I never believed I’d say again, let alone actually mean them. They were out in the air and I was terrified.

“Yeh came all the way teh England teh say tha’ Em?” He looked a little shocked but not as surprised as I was hoping for. Then again, we were in a hospital after most of my surprise had been trampled on relentlessly. Then he snorted. “Yeh nearleh get yehself ran oveh.” He shook his head and then bit his bottom lip. “Yeh’re bloodeh crazeh, Em. Bloodeh fuckin’ crazeh.” My heart was starting to beat quickly with all his comments. I licked my lips carefully and waited for his real response. His eyes finally locked with mine again and he smiled. “I love yeh too.” The words were so soft in his accent and low with his voice. I melted.

“That is such a relief to hear.” I sighed happily and closed my eyes. My heart was still beating fast but the anxiety was gone.

Oliver chuckled. “Were yeh not expectin’ it?” I couldn’t fight the smile and I didn’t really want to as I opened my eyes again to look at him.

“I didn’t know what to expect.” I honestly admitted and then ran my thumb over the back of his hand. “But I’m glad that’s finally over. I was having a nervous breakdown the whole time I was trying to get here.”

“Yeh’re crazeh.” He muttered and leaned forward to press a kiss ever so perfectly on my lips. I’d spent so much time missing Oliver and his embrace and his kisses that I’d practically forgotten what it actually felt like and how wonderful it was.

“Oh, I missed you calling me crazy.” I joked as I wrapped my arm around his neck and held him to me after our kiss broke.

“I missed yeh loads.” He kissed my temple and ruffled my hair before sitting back down in his chair. “Meh mum an’ dad are excited teh meet yeh.” He grinned like a fool while my stomach flipped.

“They are?”

“They’re a bit anxious too. I didn’t get teh say much ‘fore I ran out teh come ‘ere. I should probableh call ‘em.” He mused and went to reach for his phone in his pocket.

“You should also probably take that outside so you don’t mess with the heart monitor.” He frowned for a moment but then nodded.

“Yeh’re righ’. I’ll be back.” He stood up and then walked out of the room, leaving me with my thoughts once again.

I couldn’t believe I’d just told him I loved him. It seemed like someone else had taken over my body almost. I also couldn’t believe he’d said it back to me, without real hesitation or a second thought. It was just natural. How love is supposed to be. I giggled to myself. Emily Hale was in love with Oliver Sykes. Oh, if only we were on Warped Tour now. The rumors would fly, faster than before.

I’d have to call Victoria later. And Alex. And, of course, my grandmother. Silly how there were so many people I just had to tell. It wasn’t like I was getting married or attaching myself to Oliver for forever. It was just a few simple words, but god, did those words mean everything to me when he said them.

My eyelids started to get heavier once it was quiet. I closed them and still had a smile plastered to my face as I replayed the moment over and over in my mind. I drifted off picturing those warm hazel eyes and that soft smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy.
inspiration. Oliver is so gorgeous. I hopes everyone loves this update : ) it's super gooey and sweet. Although, I think the accent is a little off in this one. Thoughts? Future predictions? Please?
xooxEmber