A Cherry Sunset

Flattery + Ink

I blew my bangs out of my face and sighed. I was lying on the couch in the front area of Avenged Sevenfold’s bus and I was bored as hell. I had a laptop sitting on my stomach with some movie playing on it but I honestly wasn’t paying it any attention. I felt someone sit on my feet so I closed the laptop and then smiled at Brian.

“Sup, Briiii-annn.” Even I realized how ridiculous I sounded after it came out of my mouth.

Brian raised his eyebrows. “It kind of sounds like someone has cabin fever.”

I rolled my eyes and sat up, sliding the laptop to the ground. “I’m just really not used to sitting around a bus every night. I usually have to drive and take small naps, you know.”

“I do remember those days.” He nodded and looked off a bit. “But I don’t really miss them.”

I laughed. “I’m sure traveling in a bus with your crazy band mates would get old.” He gave me a look. “And very annoying, but I mean, there’s so much bonding that goes on in the van.”

“There’s plenty of bonding in the bus too.”

“It’s not the same!” I exclaimed and threw my hands up, attracting the attention of Zack.

“What the hell’s up with you, Em?” He chuckled as he came from the kitchen area to the couch.

“She has cabin fever.” Brian answered and I scoffed as Zack sat behind me, pulling me so that my head was lying in his lap. “What kind of insaneness should we drag her into for entertainment?”

“Oh! We could take her to a strip club! It’s always fun to watch girls in strip clubs.” Zack smirked as my mouth fell open.

“Zacky!” I lightly hit him. “I can’t believe you said that! Now what happens if I call Gena?” Zack rolled his eyes.

“I didn’t mean how it sounded. I was talking about watching you.”

“Oh, and that’s so much better?” I arched my eyebrows at him and he shook his head.

“Forget it, okay? Forget I said anything. What’s your suggestion, Brian?” Zack threw his hands up in defense and then gestured to Brian who was laughing at my feet.

“You so buried yourself in that, man.” Zack scoffed at Brian’s comment. “But, I was thinking maybe we could stop at a tattoo parlor. I’ve been itching to look at some new ink.”

My eyes widened a bit. “Oh my god!” I sat up and ran a hand through my hair. My thoughts were racing. Brian and Zack were both looking at me like I was slightly insane. “That’s awesome! Can I draw something for you, please?” I batted my eyes at Brian.

“Uh, sure?”

“Fantastic!” I pumped my fist in the air and then rolled off the couch. “I’m going to get started now!” I hurried back to my bunk and grabbed a sketch pad before returning to my spot between Zack and Brian. Zack was looking over my shoulder as I flipped past old drawings.

“Wow Emily, these are really impressive.” I shrugged and settled on a clean page. “Seriously, how long have you been doing this? And why didn’t I know?” I giggled a little at his severely confused expression.

“They’re just doodles.” I tapped the pencil against the pad as I tried to think of something to draw for Brian.

“Bullshit. Emily, these,” he took the sketch pad from me and flipped back to some of the pictures. “Are fucking professional. What the hell are you doing selling merch?”

“Seriously, Zack, these are just doodles.” I snatched the pad back and hugged it to my chest as he eyed me. “Nobody but me would actually want something I drew tattooed on them.” His eyes narrowed and he continued to stare for a few more minutes before his eyes went wide.

“Do you have a tattoo?” I rolled my eyes as he started yelling and then all the boys were crowded around, begging to see my tattoo. Finally I just gave up.

“Okay, okay, guys! Calm down!” I stood up and dropped my pad and pencil to the couch before pulling my shirt up, over my head. “See. It’s nothing. Just some sentimental crap.” It was eerie quiet and I could only take it for so long before I dropped my shirt down. “Uh, why are you all being creepy quiet?” My fear of their reactions wouldn’t let me turn around to see them.

Someone grabbed my shoulders and forcefully turned me around. “Emily Hale,” Matt kept a grip on my shoulders. “You are an artist, and a damn good one.” The boys nodded in agreement and I bit my bottom lip.

“You really think so?” I know I sounded insecure and nervous, but that was how I actually felt about my art.

“We know so, Em.” Zack handed me back my pad with this crazy wide grin. “Now I want you to draw me something insane, like a crazy dragon breathing fire!”

“She’s drawing mine first.” Brian puffed up and Matt rolled his eyes.

“Why don’t we have her do one picture and then all of us get it, in celebration of the end of the Taste of Chaos tour?” Johnny suggested and all the boys agreed.

“Okay, so you guys want me to draw some kind of end of tour tattoo?” I furrowed my eyebrows and ran my hand through my short hair. “That’s weird.”

“It is not weird!” Johnny defended and I giggled, shaking my head.

“Not that you’re getting matching tattoos, but I mean,” I paused and tried to find the right words. “What the hell am I supposed to draw for ‘end of tour’?”

“I like that knotted metal looking stuff on your back.” Zack’s eyebrows raised and his green eyes widened. “Can I see your back again?” I snorted and turned to pick my shirt up. His fingers traced my wings out slowly. “Damn, girl. This is some fucking awesome talent.” He muttered and my cheeks burned.

“I think you should just draw something you think looks neat. It’s pretty obvious we like all your work.” Matt spoke from behind me and I bit my bottom lip as Zack took his fingers off me. I let my shirt fall as I turned back to face them.

“I guess I can try.” I shrugged and hugged the pad to my chest.

“You can count me out of the tattoo party.” Alan appeared from the back half and took a seat in the kitchen area. “Too afraid of needles.”

“So was I.” I chuckled as I went to sit by him, laying my pad out on the table. “Oliver held my hand through my first session and it honestly wasn’t that bad.”

“I think its best not to walk too close to having a panic attack.” He grinned. “I’m nervous enough trying to learn everything I can from you.” I laughed at that.

“Will you hold my hand while I get one then? Just in case?”

“You’re going to get a tattoo too?” He arched one eyebrow and I couldn’t but giggle.

“There’s this design I’ve got stuck in my head and I think inking it on me is the only way to get it out.” I shrugged and started to lightly sketch on the paper.

“I think I can manage to be support, though there’s no promises when I finally hear the tattoo thing actually going.” We both laughed.

^^^^^^

Three hours later and the boys were pulling the bus over. I had only just finished their design but apparently after eyeing it for all of two seconds they were way too eager to get it done. It took about twenty more minutes though to find an open tattoo shop that would take us. The boys got in line to get the tattoo done and the actual artist congratulated me on the design before he went to make a sketch up.

I blushed at that and took a seat with Alan out in the waiting area. I still had my sketch pad and I doodled while he made uneasy small talk with me. Though after the whirring of the tattoo gun was on for a while, he started to calm down. He glanced over at my drawing and let out a low whistle.

“You really are a good artist, Em.” Alan nudged my arm and I bit my bottom lip as the blush started to creep up my neck again. “If you do decide to leave the merch business, this is what you should do.”

“Thanks Alan.” I mumbled and smiled at him. He shrugged and looked at the drawing more closely.

“So is this what you want to get tattooed?” He leaned over and with one hand traced the outer line of my design.

“Yeah.” I nodded, finally deciding. “I’m going to get it on my feet. You know, like have the rope tied around my ankles and then the anchor on top of my feet.”

“Sweet.” Alan chuckled and smirked. “I bet that’s going to hurt like a bitch though.” I giggled with him.

“Most likely.” We laughed for a bit more but then as I kept my stare on the design in my lap, I couldn’t help but sigh. “I wish Oliver was here.”

“You should call him.” Alan said it like it was the most logically thing in the world.

I grinned like mad. “That’s a brilliant idea.” I kissed his cheek before quickly getting up and skipping toward the door. “I’ll be right back.” I called over my shoulder as I pulled my phone from my pocket. I rocked on my heels as I waited for him to answer.

“Ello Love.” I closed my eyes and grinned even more, letting his voice wash over me.

“Hey. I didn’t expect you to answer. Aren’t you supposed to be sleeping or off partying?” I teased and he chuckled throatily.

“Partyin’s done fer a while. An’ I was sleepin’. Woke up ‘bout ten minutes ago, jus’ thinkin’ ‘bout yeh.”

“Lying’s not a nice habit, Oliver.”

“I’m not lyin’ love. I miss yeh. ‘S ‘ard teh sleep ‘round ‘ere now without yeh.”

“Well I miss you too.”

We left that in silence. The sappy moment where we said ridiculous things that we honestly meant but wouldn’t admit to anyone else, that’s what transferred between him and I in the silence. We didn’t have to say how much we missed each other or what we missed most. I loved that about us.

Oliver broke the silence. “So wha’ are yeh up to at this time, Emmeh?”

I smirked and glanced back over at the shop door. “Oh, the usual, you know. Getting a tattoo.”

“Realleh?” He chuckled again. “Wha’ ‘apened teh the girl who was scared of needles?”

I rolled my eyes. “She drew out this design that she can’t stop thinking about so, yeah, she’s having to toughen up and deal with the pain.”

“Yeh should send meh a snap of yeh drawin’.”

“Who says I drew it out already?” I blushed and glanced back at the door.

“Come on, Em.” I rolled my eyes again but still smiled.

“Okay; I’m going to hang up and go back into the shop and then I’ll send you a picture. Kay?”

“I love yeh, Em.” I giggled as I hung up and imagined his face as he realized I hung up before replying. I skipped back to Alan and picked my sketch book up.

“That was short.” Alan furrowed his eyebrows and I shrugged as I handed him the sketch book.

“Could you hold this up for me, please?” He did so without a word and I tried to fight my grin as I snapped a picture with my phone. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” He chuckled as I sat back down and sent the picture to Oliver. A few seconds later Matt came rushing from one of the back areas.

“Look at my rad ass tattoo!” Matt exclaimed with wide eyes as he turned around and lifted his shirt some. My design was just above his pants on the left side of his back. The skin around it was turning a light pink, but it still looked good.

Alan laughed. “Did you just say rad ass?” Matt shot him a glare as Oliver texted me back. I ignored their bickering as I read the simple words on the screen.

Oliver : You’re so fucking talented, love. You should get that tattoo now : ) even if I’m not there to be with you.

“Emily! Emmmmmily!” I snapped my head up to Matt and raised my eyebrows in question. “Since my tattoo’s done, Sam’s open. Did you want to get something done?”

I glanced down at the text and smiled before lifting my eyes again. “Yeah.” I stood up and walked over to the man standing behind Matt. “I want this, with the anchor on my feet and the rope around my ankles. You think you can do that?” I stood on my tiptoes unintentionally as I hopefully awaited his answer.

He stared at the picture for a few minutes and then nodded. “Sure. Give me a few minutes to make a stencil and then about two, two and a half hours and we’ll have you all done.” I squealed.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” I jumped up and down as he went back to one of the rooms. I turned to Alan and Matt and threw my hands up. “I’m getting tattooed!”

They both chuckled. “You are such a freak.” Matt shook his head and smirked as he went to take my previous seat. I stuck my tongue out and replied to Oliver quickly.

Emily : Three hours X D

Oliver : You can handle it love. I even give permission for some jackass over there to hold your hand if you really need it.

I giggled out loud and then blushed as both Matt and Alan looked over at me. “Oliver says its okay for you to hold my hand, Alan.” His eyebrows furrowed again. “For the tattoo.” He made an o with his mouth and Matt snickered.

“Otherwise he’d probably beat your ass, kid.” I shot a fake glare at Matt who raised his hands. “You can’t say he wouldn’t.”

“Wha-,” I opened my mouth and then slowly closed it. As sweet as Oliver was, Matt was right. “Okay, but isn’t that normal? Don’t all guys get protective when someone else is all over their girl?”

“Not all guys are as intimidating as Oliver.” Matt smirked and I rolled my eyes, turning my attention back to my phone.

My insides were fluttering as I waited to get my tattoo and as I texted to Oliver. I couldn’t wait for the ink to be in my skin already. Johnny finished with his tattoo and came out just before I finally went back. I high fived all the boys on my way and then literally dragged Alan to the back. I laid back in the chair and closed my eyes, imagining it was Oliver’s hand I was squeezing. Seeing his smile behind my eyelids made everything better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy.Okay, so I lied. There's eight more chapters : ) And a very special guest in the next chapter!!! Any guesses on who?
xooxEmber

Image