A Cherry Sunset

Sugar Stops + Phone Calls

Relief took over my body as I saw the New Jersey state line sign. My eyelids felt so heavy and my mind was starting to wander to dark places. I needed sleep and I wanted to sleep in a fucking bed. I pulled into the first rest station I came to. Victoria woke up when the van shut off.

“Where the hell are we?” She rubbed at her eyes and then squinted.

“Jersey State Line and it’s your turn to drive, bitch.” I yawned.

“Oh! Can’t we get a fucking room out a hotel?” She whined and threw her head against the dashboard. I giggled as she moaned about how much that hurt.

“Well you shouldn’t have banged your head.” I smirked as I got out of the van. My legs were so cramping and all my muscles ached.

“Thanks for the advice smartass.” Victoria slammed her door and sighed. “I need caffeine before I can drive the rest of the way.” She complained and I followed her to the center building.

It felt like 4:40 in the morning, but dawn had broke hours ago while I was driving. I checked my phone for the millionth time. It was 11:40 a.m. Almost twenty-four hours had gone by since we left Warped and I had yet to receive a call from mybeloved boyfriend.

“He hasn’t called yet?” I looked up and found Victoria giving me an expression full of sympathy. Her arms were full of sugary junk foods. I shook my head and bit my bottom lip. “Don’t worry about it, Em. He will call, trust me.” She smiled and I tried giving one back.

“I’m scared, Vee.” I whispered and the pity swelled up in her eyes.

“Emily,” she frowned and threw everything in her arms to the nearest shelf. Then she proceeded to engulf me in a death grip. “It’s okay to love!” She exclaimed to the entire store.

My eyes widened. “Okay. Victoria? You need to take a few breaths.” I detached myself from her and we both had severely confused expressions. “Now, what are you talking about?”

“What are you talking about?” Victoria crossed her arms and arched one eyebrow.

I sighed. “I’m talking about my boyfriend living on a completely different continent.”

“Oh,” she pursed her lips.

“Yeah, oh! This is like my worst nightmare, the exact reason I never wanted a relationship. I mean, honestly, what happens now?” I threw my hands up, exasperated.

Victoria was silent for a moment. “I’m sorry. I thought we were talking about something different. I don’t have any prepared advice for this.” She frowned.

“Thanks Vee.” I sarcastically mocked her stance.

“I’m sorry! I thought you were fighting your feelings again, not dealing with regret.” She started to pick up her junk food slowly.

“I am not dealing with regret or fighting my feelings. What are you talking about?” I was beyond confused now.

“Did you not just hear yourself? You are regretting getting into a relationship with Oli, though I don’t know why. He’s like you’re fucking soul mate.” She muttered and went toward the cashier.

“I am not regretting. I’m just nervous. You know that whole ‘distance makes the heart grow fonder’ is total bullshit. What if he finds somebody else? God, what if I find someone else?” I shuddered. Just the thought of not having Oliver made me ill. “Maybe we should have cut things before tour ended like you and Lee.” I sighed again and Victoria spun around to give me a stern look.

“Lee and I were just having a good time on tour. Things could rekindle if we met again, but for now it’s done. We weren’t in love like you and Oli. Therefore you cannot compare your situation to mine. Alright?” She nodded and turned back around.

“What do you mean in love like me and Oli?” I followed her, very interested in where she got the idea that Oliver and I loved each other. Neither one of us had said it before.

“Oh look! Your phone’s going off. Can’t answer the question.” I glared at her as I pulled my phone form my pocket. “Is it Lover Boy, so soon?”

I stuck my tongue out and started for the door as I answered. “Hello?”

Ello love, ‘ow are yeh?” Oliver’s voice made me smile wide.

“I am only two hours from home and my body is aching for my bed already. How was your flight?”

Sides watchin’ meh best mate get attacked by meh littel sisteh, it was alrigh’. Bit shakey toward the end.

“Aw, how is my favorite Sykes?” I teased but he didn’t even miss a beat.

I’m doin’ great, though missin’ yeh terribleh.” I couldn’t help but giggle.

“You know what, I changed my mind. You and Dee are too mischevious for me. Tom’s my new favorite.”

I love yeh teh, Emileh!” I blushed at Tom’s outburst.

“Am I on speaker phone?”

Were.” Oliver grumbled and he sounded a lot clearer. “So, do yeh know ‘ow long yeh’ll be ‘ome for yet?

“Nope. Victoria nad I report bright and early tomorrow, then they’ll give us our next assignments. It probably won’t be for a few more months though. What about you?” I chewed on my lip nervously as I waited for his answer.

Well, we’ve been tourin’ for almost eig’teen months now, so we’re thinkin’ ‘bout a break.

“How have you survived for eighteen months?”

The first five were the worse.” He chuckled.

“I’d imagine the past five were killer too.”

Wrong.” Just by the way he said it, I could tell he was smirking. “The pas’ three months ‘ave been the best.

“Really? Why’s that?” I couldn’t fight the wide grin.

Because I met yeh.” There was a loud group ‘awe’ and Oliver cursed at them. I giggled and tried not to blush. “Al’righ, love. I’ve got teh go. I’ll talk teh yeh lateh.

“Mkay. Bye Oliver.” The phone clicked without another word and I pulled it away from my ear to stare at it. I was still smiling slightly as I ran my thumb over my screen. The background was a picture of Oliver and I, taken a few weeks ago. I was sitting on his lap with his arms around my middle. Oliver was looking off, laughing and talking with someone while I smiled at the camera.

“You feeling better, Em?” Victoria startled me as she approached with her bag of goodies and a Twisler in her mouth.

“Yeah,” I smiled and put my phone in my back pocket. “I’m fine.”

“Lover Boy fixed everything?”

I rolled my eyes. “Let’s just get home. I’m tired and I need a shower.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Emmy.
so, maybe I lied. Oliver will be in future chapters. he'll just be brought in via phone or internet. but the flesh is so much better ; )
xooxEmber

newest obsession = this band; check them out!