‹ Prequel: Little Secrets
Sequel: Little Laughs

Little Memories

“Charlotte Goyle, you are going to spend the rest of your days locked away in a cell at Azkaban. Have you anything to say for yourself,” he asked, staring down at her. The girl looked up at them with such a haunting look in her transparent-blue eyes as she met the eyes of each and every one of them, fear chilling each of them as her lips curled into a small smirk. Her eyes finally landed on Scrimgeour and the smirk widened into a wide, toothy, yet malicious grin and he knew that she knew something that none of them did.

“The majority of you will be dead within the next year,” she said with a morbid sort of happiness.
  1. Prologue.
  2. “I’ve never tried to block out the memories of the past, even though some of them are painful."
    - Sofia Loren
  3. “Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it.”
    -Michel de Montaigne
  4. “Memories are contrary things; if you...turn your back on them, they often return on their own."
    -Memories, Stephen King
  5. “The leaves of memory seemed to make a mournful rustling in the dark.”
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  6. "There is little distinct left without an effort of memory..."
    -Lord Byron
  7. "Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind..."
    -Memories, Elvis Presley
  8. “Footfalls echo in the memory down the passage which we did not take..."
    -T.S. Eliot
  9. “No matter how long we exist, we have our memories. Points in time which time itself cannot erase.”
    -Blood and Gold, Anne Rice
  10. “A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen.”
    -Edward de Bono
  11. “All that we had last school term will be just a memory to you.”
  12. "Remember all the things we wanted. Now all our memories, they're haunted."
    -Already Gone, Kelly Clarkson
  13. “There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.”
    -Josh Billings
  14. "I've still got your face painted on my heart, scrawled upon my soul, etched upon my memory, baby."
    -Painted On My Heart, The Cult
  15. “We do not remember days; we remember moments.”
    -Cesare Pavese, The Burning Brand
  16. “Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines hidden under the weedy mass of years.
    -Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of the Senses
  17. “The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory.”
    -Author Unknown
  18. “Memory is deceptive because it is colored by today's events.”
    -Albert Einstein
  19. “The happiest memories are of moments that ended when they should have.”
    -Robert Brault
  20. “Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are..."
    -Kevin Arnold
  21. "God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December."
    - J. M. Barrie
  22. “I just wanted to memorize the moments I have with you…”
  23. “Every man's memory is his private literature.”
    -Aldous Huxley
  24. “Memory is not so brilliant as hope, but it is more beautiful, and a thousand times more true.”
    George Denison Prentice
  25. “No canvas absorbs color like memory.”
    -Robert Aris Willmott
  26. "All we’ll have of this time will be fond memories of the good times with intermittent bad times."
  27. “I am a miser of my memories of you and will not spend them.”
    -Witter Bynner, "Coins"
  28. “The difference between false memories and true ones is the same as for jewels.”
    -Salvador Dali
  29. “Memory is a child walking along a seashore.”
    -Pierce Harris, Atlanta Journal
  30. That night was like their kiss goodbye to the summer; one that was rife with wondeful memories.
  31. “No matter how far we travel, the memories will follow in the baggage car.”
    -August Strindburg, Miss Julie
  32. “What an insidious drug memory can be. Especially the memory of unhappiness."
    - Horace Holley, His Luck
  33. “It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.”
    -Lewis Carroll, Alice Through the Looking Glass
  34. “Memory breeds in me strange loneliness."
    - William Herbert Carruth, Tescott
  35. “Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us.”
    -Oscar Wilde, "The Importance of Being Earnest"
  36. “You can't run away from memories, no matter how hard you try.”
    -JOHN SAUL, Midnight Voices
  37. "Few have wished for memory so much as they have longed for forgetfulness."
    -Arthur Helps, From the Cloister to the Crowd
  38. “Whoever conducts arguments by appealing to authority is not using intelligence...just his memory."
    -Leonardo da Vinci
  39. It was as if Charlotte’s not-so-subtle reminders had jumpstarted his memory.
  40. "...one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life."
    -P. D. James
  41. “Vague memories hang about the mind like cobwebs.”
    -George Eliot, Romola
  42. “He who is not very strong in memory should not meddle with lying.”
    -Michael de Montaigne
  43. “Memories have teeth, too.”
    -Laurell K. Hamilton, Bloody Bones
  44. "Upon my examination of their minds, there is a great lapse in their memories..."
  45. "Take a rest, as a friend, as an old memoria..."
    -Come As You Are, Nirvana
  46. ...he knew it must be because of the vivid memories it brought up in her mind.
  47. “The secret of a good memory is attention…”
    -Tryon Edwards
  48. "I just try to forget you so easy to disturb with a thought, with a whisper, with a careless memory.
    -Careless Memory, Duran Duran
  49. “The charm...the genius of memory, is that it is choosy, chancy, and temperamental.”
    -Elizabeth Bowen
  50. “The true art of memory is the art of attention.”
    -Samuel Johnson
  51. “Between the shadowy burns of Heaven and Hell, enough love leaves my soul to dwell with memory.”
    -Madison Julius Cawein
  52. “One must have a good memory to be able to keep the promises one makes.”
    -Friedrich Nietzsche
  53. “Memory feeds imagination.”
    - Amy Tan
  54. “Memory can glean, but can never renew.”
    -Henry Ward Beecher, Life Thoughts
  55. “Memory is like a purse, if it be over full that it cannot shut, all will drop out of it.”
    -Thomas Fuller
  56. “Memories are all we really own.”
    -Elias Lieberman
  57. “The palest ink is better than the best memory.”
    -Chinese Proverb
  58. "When was the last time you thought of me? Or have you completely erased me from your memory?"
    -Don't You Remember, Adele
  59. “Do not trust your memory; it is a net full of holes; the most beautiful prizes slip through it.”
    -Robertson Davies
  60. “The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.”
    -Cicero
  61. “Friends depart, and memory takes them to her caverns, pure and deep.”
    -Thomas Haynes Bayly
  62. “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things..."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche
  63. "Oh memories, where'd you go? You were all I've ever known. How I miss yesterday..."
    -Memories, Panic! at the Disco
  64. "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories. "
    -From the movie An Affair to Remember
  65. "Our memories are independent of our wills."
    -Richard Brinsley Sheridan
  66. "Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door."
    -Saul Bellow
  67. "Recalling days of sadness, memories haunt me. "
    -Robert Brault,
  68. “Oh, how cruelly sweet are the echoes that start When Memory plays an old tune on the heart!”
    -Eliza Cook
  69. "Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin."
    -Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams
  70. The Malfoy dining hall only brought up memories that Charlotte would rather stay...within her mind.
  71. " I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time..."
    -Seize the Day, Avenged Sevenfold
  72. "The world shrieks and sinks talons into our hearts. This we call memory. "
    -Tim O'Brien, Tomcat in Love
  73. "If there's a place that I could be, then I'd be another memory. Can I be the only hope for you?"
    -The Only Hope For Me Is You, My Chemical Romance
  74. "Anyone who limits her vision to memories of yesterday is already dead. "
    -Lillie Langtry
  75. "At some point, your memories, your stories... will be the only things you'll have left..."
    -Chuck Palahniuk, Choke
  76. "Little memories, marching on their little feet..."
    -Empire Ants, Gorillaz feat. Little Dragon
  77. Epilogue
    -Nineteen Years Later