My Opinion Doesn't Matter

Chapter 12

“Veronica, can I ask you something important?” I looked up at Jennifer and smiled.

“Sure, what is it?” The party went as everyone had planned last night and Jennifer ended up staying for the rest of the weekend along with Michael.

“Who was that kid you were with earlier? I saw you two sitting in one of your family rooms or something when Michael was giving me a tour of the house.”

“My tutor.” I told her truthfully.

“Oh!” Was all she said, shocked. I just shrugged. I wasn’t as smart as everyone thought I was. “I just thought you two were like dating or something…” Her voice faded off as she looked around.

“Not even close!” I told her, letting out a laugh. “Not with Kaden. We just met a few days ago!”

“Oh, it just looked like you two…” She trailed off, looking over at me.

“What?” I urged. Did we look like we were dating? Yesterday raked through my mind. I tried hard to think of anything that would make it seem like we were a couple, but nothing came to mind. Michael suddenly walked in, kissing Jennifer’s cheek and then walking over to an empty chair.

“What’s for breakfast?” He asked, looking between the two of us. We both shrugged, dropping the Kaden subject.

“Whatever you would like.” James’ voice rang through the empty kitchen and into the dining room. Michael’s lips pulled back into a smirk.

“Alright James, but just get ready, I have a huge appetite.”

Jennifer and I both snickered, replying at the same time, “When don’t you?” Realizing we had said the same thing we both laughed louder.

“Seems like you two get along.” He commented, picking up a glass of orange juice and bringing it to his lips.

“Yeah, there’s no reason that they shouldn’t.” My mother replied, walking in with a handful of papers and her reading glasses on. I sighed. We couldn’t have one breakfast without one of us working on something.

“True.” Michael agreed, taking Jennifer’s hand into his own.

“I think I’m going to go shower and then go out back.” Everyone just nodded as James brought in four plates of food.

“No appetite?” James questioned. I shrugged.

“Not right now.” He chuckled.

“That’s one thing you and your brother don’t have in common.” Jennifer laughed as Michael shoved a forkful of eggs into his mouth followed by a piece of bacon. I just smiled, shaking my head and heading out of the room to go upstairs when my mother stopped me.

“Ronnie, I made sure to tell Kaden to be back today by three because he’s got more tests for you to take.”

“Alright. I’ll be ready when he comes.” Jennifer’s eyes lit up as her lips pulled back into a smile. I just shook my head. Did she really think we had something going on? I mean come on, he was tutoring me!

I just ignored everything else, especially my mother’s complaint that Michael needs to slow down when he eats or he’ll get stomach aches later on, walking towards our staircase and then up them and into my room.

After my quick shower, I pulled my hair back into a messy bun and got dressed. Figuring that I would just go out back and in the barn, I pulled on a pair of jeans and an old plaid shirt. I looked like a farm girl when I added my cowboy boots that I insisted on keeping when I entered the tenth grade because I loved wearing them when I rode my horse.

I had gotten Bambi when I turned 10 years old for my birthday. My father didn’t like the idea, but I had a passion for horses when I was younger. My mother insisted on getting on to shut me up because I would always complain that princesses always had one so I should get one. I don’t know where I got that idea, but it ended up working in the end.

Smiling, I pulled back the barn door to hear Bambi’s snorts. I had named her Bambi because I had watched it the night before my birthday and her brown and white spotted coloring made me think of a deer. Not knowing whether my horse was a girl or a boy, I was 10 keep in mind, and I thought Bambi was a girl name later come to find out it was a boy deer in the movie so I just named her Bambi. My mother later informed me all of the information above that Bambi was a boy and my horse was a girl, but I didn’t care so the name stuck.

“Hey girl.” I spoke, causing Bambi’s head to turn to my direction. Her tail swirled around as she stomped excitedly. I hadn’t ridden her in a while. Maybe it was because of the snow that the ground always had covering it, but even in past years I would bundle up and take her out to ride her in the snow. This year other things were on my mind, but I had a dream last night about riding her and realized I had totally forgotten about her.

I didn’t really take care of a horse like others did; I had people to do that for me. I tried sometimes to help, but always got lost in what they were doing.

I walked over to her stable and unlocked it, causing the gate to creak open. She trotted over to the side where I was and leaned her head down so I could pet her nose. My hand did as she wanted and pet upward, missing her. After petting her enough I grabbed my saddle from the floor next to her stall and settled it on her, fastening it as how I had been taught from the horseback riding lessons I had taken when I was younger.

I ignored the helmet thing that they would make me wear and put my left foot into one stirrup and using my strength to pull me up and over, onto Bambi’s back. I kicked my right foot into her side softly and she started forward. I steered her out of her stall and the barn, into the open fields of our estate.

I always loved riding Bambi, having the wind rush by my face and let me hair fly freely. I always did it when I couldn’t write. It was alternate to getting my stress out and it always made me feel better.

I took a few turns, leading Bambi towards a path that led off of our property and in to the woods. I had walked out here when had hit 10:30. Lunch wasn’t for a while and Kaden wasn’t coming to help me until after. Looking behind me to make sure nobody was coming; I made Bambi calm down to just a trot.

“Good girl Bambi.” I encourage as she followed my commands and headed towards the dirt path. Nobody was in sight and I sighed in relief. I didn’t want someone coming after me knowing where I went to come and ruin my alone time with Bambi. I pet her head softly as I easily steered her down the path I had gone down so many times before.



“Veronica!” I suddenly jumped at voice. I clamped my notebook closed and pushed it under my butt. Beth started closer and I just sat where I was, trying to pretend that I didn’t hear her. “Ronnie! Where are you?” She continued. She took a few more steps before stopping in front of me and smiling.

“Oh, hey.” I said, acting as if I had no clue she was looking for me.

“Kaden’s here.” I just nodded. She narrowed her eyes. “Aren’t you going to get up?” She asked. I shrugged.

“Nah, it’s nice out. You can just send him out here.” She pressed his lips tightly together. Without saying another word she walked off, towards the house. Letting out a sigh, I pulled the pencil from underneath my leg and then sat up so I could grab my notebook. It had dirt smudges on the back and some of the edges of the papers. I groaned as I opened it and flipped through the papers noticing lines of brown on the edges of every single one.

Ignoring it I pushed the lead of the pencil to the white lined paper and continued from where I had stopped moments ago. Thinking of the right words to write next, my thoughts were pressed into the thin paper. Each word that I couldn’t say just flowed along the paper like waves in an ocean. One after another, like a storm with thunder rumbling right after a bolt of lightning.

I hadn’t even noticed that Beth had opened the back door and pointed to where I was sitting on the lawn. I just continued writing down every thought and feeling that rushed through my head. I shut out everything around me as I flipped the pencil filled paper over to the crisp and clean back side of it. Without missing a word, I pressed onward. I was going to get everything out now when I had the time.

Without a second to waste, Kaden ripped the notebook from my hands and held it in front of his face.

“What’s this?” He asked, examining the story I had created.

“Hey! Give that back!” I protested, reaching up for it, but it was no use for I was on the ground. Angered, I pushed myself up and off of the lawn so I could jump to try and get my precious composition back.

“What is this?” He asked again, flipping to the front paper and reading it over, still keeping it from my reach as I tried desperately to get it from his hands.

“None of your business.” I replied, eagerly waving my arms, but I ended in failure as he just raised it higher. Huffing, I dropped my arms.

“This is interesting.” He told me as he flipped the page over. His eyes glued to the writing.

“Can you just give it back?” I sighed. He was just too tall for me to get from him on my own.

“Why?” He questioned, finally pulling his eyes away from the story.

“Because, it’s personal and didn’t your mother ever tell you not to steal people’s things?” I huffed setting my hands on the hips. He just laughed!

“Yes she did. I’m only borrowing and she also told me to share.” I frowned. Damn, got me there.

“Well, can you please give it back?” He looked over at his hands that held me delicate possession and then to me.

“What will you do to give it back?” He asked. I frowned harder.

“Blackmail really?” I narrowed my eyes as he chuckled again.

“Nah, I wouldn’t stoop that low. I’m just asking for a favor in return.” I just stood there.

“What kind of favor?” As long as I continued to talk he wouldn’t read it again.

“I’ll give this back on one condition.” I bit my lip. What could it be?

“What condition?” He just smirked at me.

“When I tutor you” He used his fingers to air quote ‘tutor’, “we’ll just go and hang out somewhere, not actually tutor you.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Won’t that defeat the purpose of tutoring me?” I asked. He just shrugged.

“If this thing really means so much to you…” He trailed off, his eyes smirking at me.

“Okay fine, but!” He glanced over at my notebook.
“What?” He asked.

“If you don’t tutor me then what will Mrs. Jaun think?” Kaden just shrugged.

“Whatever we tell her. I’ll just get the answer sheets to the tests and papers I have for you and give them to her.”

“That’s cheating.” I pressed, narrowing my eyes again.

“Either cheating on not real tests, just tests to see where you are, or you can stay miserable with following through with your parents orders.” I gasped.

“How dare you!” I hissed.

“What?” He asked innocently. “You saw me reading it. Do you think I was just pretending?” I glared at him with everything I could. Who the hell did this guy think he was? He wasn’t funny.

“Veronica!” I glanced around Kaden to see my mother walking towards us. I cursed under my breath, shuffling my feet. I didn’t want her to see this, especially my journal. There was no way to be certain if Kaden was going to do something with it or not either.

“Fine, but please just give it back and don’t tell anyone about it.” Smiling down at me, he handed over the notebook. Ours hands brushed together as I quickly hid the notebook behind my back.

“Come say good-bye to Michael and Jennifer.” I only nodded in response. She glanced between the two of us before nodding and walking back into the house. I let out a deep breath and started towards the house behind her.

“You’re a pretty good writer.” Kaden complimented. I just glared at him.

“Shut up. We’re not talking about this again.” He nodded as if saying alright and then we walked in silence.