Status: Reviving...

The Punchline to the Joke Is Asking

Chapter 43

At the airport, I started looking around for Pete, Batman tucked safely under one arm as I stood on tiptoe trying to see over the people hurrying all around me. The terminal was buzzing with life, people everywhere; talking, texting, walking, sleeping, the PA system announcing things completely incoherently to add to the confusion. I sighed, then started walking forward, still straining to see over everyone else, dragging my duffle bag behind me carelessly.
Where are they? I wondered, concern creasing my forehead for the first time. They’ve never been late before, or gotten lost, or forgotten, or- why am I worrying? I know how to take care of myself. I set my shoulders and trudged on, deciding that everything would work itself out. Just then, one of the many pairs of shoes hurrying by stooped, and a hand dropped onto my shoulder. I instinctively looked up to see what the Hell the person wanted and why they were touching me, but I found myself looking up at Brendan and all was forgotten.
“Bden!” I squealed happily, dignity forgotten as I dropped my bag to hug him, careful of Batman. The tall man laughed, then shoved me off, snatching Batman and rubbing his nose on the dog’s.
“Oh, whose my little superhero? Who did I miss like crazy?” He asked, then hugged the dog, who licked him enthusiastically.
“Thanks, Bren, for a second there, I almost thought you cared.” I scoffed, pulling my bag onto my shoulder as I walked with him out into the daylight. He grinned at me, and I returned the infectious expression. We walked out to his car, Brendan trying to shove me into the trunk when I tossed my bag in. He had me in and shut the door, but by the time he got into the driver’s seat, I was riding shotgun, much to his surprise. He simply laughed, and didn’t question why I knew how to go under the seats.
“Da da-da daa!” Brendan sang when we arrived at my place not long after. “You have been delivered.”
I laughed, shaking my head. “Bden, you’re losing it. Won’t Pete kill you for not bringing me there?”
“Yeah,” Brendan sang slowly, “But I have other friends. One such other friend wanted you delivered here.” He grinned maniacally, and I gave him a suspicious look.
“Brendan, strangers with candy are not friends.” I reminded him, trying to figure out what was going on. Had My Chem ordered this? I could see Gerard and Frank pulling something like this, but Mikey and Ray would remind them that they could see me anytime at Pete’s. Gabe and Bill were still out touring, having now reached their European leg after a brief stay back home, which I had missed. Nobody else would do something like this.
“Just trust me on this one, okay?” Brendan said seriously, his eyes pleading with me to just go with it like I used to. I bit my lip, looking at my dark windows, then nodded once. Brendan would never hurt me, or let anyone else do something awful.
“Thanks.” I grinned at him as I got out of the car, grabbing my bag and picking Batman up before nodding a final farewell and heading inside.
I hesitated, fumbling with my keys for a moment, then kicked my door violently open, glaring around suspiciously. There were no out-of-place shadows, no lights on, no people lurking anywhere. I sighed, still on edge, knowing I’d have to search the whole place before I could relax. I dropped my bag by the door, which I kicked shut without looking at, then set Batman down carefully. He immediately barked and ran to the kitchen, keeping up his excited alarm as I made to dive after him, then stopped myself. Batman’s barks stopped once he was out of sight in the kitchen, and I froze, hoping he was alright before I strode after him.
As soon as I entered the kitchen, the lights flicked on, blinding me. I held a hand up to shield my eyes, blinking to try to bring the tall shadow in front of me into focus. Whoever it was, he were holding Batman, and he was being licked enthusiastically. As my eyes adjusted, I dropped my hand, glancing around the kitchen to try to spot any more people, but there was just the one.
And a splash of red on the counter.
I tensed up, then realized it was a flower petal. There were a bunch of flower petals, actually. Everywhere. I tilted my head slightly in confusion, then looked back at the person, who was just straightening up from putting Batman down.
I refused to show any emotion as Ryan stood tall, his eyes meeting mine. I just gritted my teeth surreptitiously, waiting for him to say something as Batman scampered out of the room in search of his favorite toys.
“Cyn,” Ryan began, but I cut him off there, crossing my arms and grabbing my elbows, looking away.
“I get it, okay? I got it as soon as I said it.” I said, trying to snap it, but my voice was a little too shaky, too soft. I shut my eyes tight when Ryan reached out to touch my face.
“Cyn, don’t say that.” Ryan said softly. “Just look at me. Please?” I hesitated, then forced my eyes open to look at him. He gently turned my face up, then ran his fingers through my hair, smiling slightly. “Do you remember the first time I kissed you? Back in Oklahoma?”
I nodded slowly, remembering that day. It felt like lifetimes ago, but it was barely a year.
“What did I say to you?” Ryan asked quietly, stepping forward, closer to me.
“You told me that love is real. What it is.” I answered slowly, forcing myself not to drop his gaze as he smiled slightly.
“And how would I know?”
“…You’ve been there.” I mumbled, finally letting myself look away. Was he going to tell me that there was someone else? Had there always been someone else.
“I have been there, Cyn.” Ryan said, confirming my worst suspicions. “I’m still there.” He continued softly, gently making me look at him again. “I’ve loved you this whole time, Cyn.”
I blinked in surprise, stunned into silence, and he smiled again, pulling me against him so I could feel his voice rumbling in his chest as he spoke. “It’s not easy to say something when the world is finally right, is it?” He teased gently, and that was when I got it; he hadn’t known what to say, just like I didn’t know what to say. Somehow, the conventional “I love you, too” just wouldn’t be special enough.
I smiled, blushing, then stood on tiptoes to kiss him, wrapping my arms around his neck as he kissed me back, arms wrapped securely around me. He didn’t bother trying to hold my waist or my hips or touch me anywhere, he just held me tight and made me feel like nothing could ever break us apart.
Of course Pete chose that moment to kick my apartment door open and yell that if I was in there, I was in trouble. Gerard’s voice agreed vehemently, and Brendan immediately started giggling with Frankie.
Ryan broke the kiss, and I sighed, my eyes still closed as he rested his forehead against mine. I smiled a little and opened my eyes to meet his.
“Love you.” I said softly, and he grinned wider than I’d ever seen.
“Love you, too, Cyn.”
“Found ‘em!” Frankie yelled, poking his head in the kitchen and giggling when I turned to raise my eyebrows at him. “What, you’re not going to call me a cock block like Gee does whenever I interrupt him and Lyn-Z?”

Soon enough, everyone was on the couches, armchair, and floor of my slightly cramped living room.
That traitor was supposed to bring you back to my place.” Pete scowled at Brendan, who just grinned innocently from the floor next to Ray. Ray, seeing that he was in the line of fire should anyone attack the traitor, shifted away, sticking his tongue out.
“I see.” I mused in amusement, nodding as I shifted closer to Ryan. Ryan smiled, burying his face in my hair, and I blushed slightly, happy.
“I missed you.” He said softly, and I blushed even more as he grinned evilly at me.
“Missed you, too.” I agreed, nuzzling into his neck, until Gerard coughed. When we both looked at him, he was giving us a stern look, and we both had to fight not to giggle.
“Anyway, what’s this we hear about you being adopted?” He asked, unable to keep the grin off his face, and I blushed for an entirely different reason.
“Yeah, Jimmy decided he wants to be stuck with me forever.” I nodded in happy disbelief.
“You make that sound like a bad thing.” Mikey teased, and I winked at him.
“Isn’t it?”

The guys stayed late into the night, happy to joke around and catch up. I’d missed them, and it was great to be back to normal. There was no more awkwardness with Joe, or being mad at Ryan every other week. It seemed like the time I’d spent with Avenged Sevenfold was exactly what I needed to snap me back into how I would be had I grown up differently.
When the guys finally left, Ryan and I sank onto the couch together, after helping Mikey and Ray drag a protesting Frankie out the door, since Gerard was laughing too hard, Brendan was helping the delinquent, and Pete & Joe were filming the whole affair on their phones.
“What a night.” I yawned, very attractively, I’m sure, and Ryan smiled at me.
“Yeah, you must be tired.” He agreed, then picked me up and carried me to my room, despite my feeble protests. He was right, I was beyond beat. He set me down on my bed, tucking me in once Id kicked off my shoes, then turned to go.
“Ry, wait.” I reached out, touching his sleeve, and he looked back at me, curious, as Batman hopped up on the foot of the bed and curled up happily. “Stay with me?” I asked, biting the inside of my cheek so he wouldn’t see. We’d spent the night together a million times, but each of those had been on a couch, after falling asleep while reading or watching a movie.
He bent over and kissed my forehead, then sat on the edge of my bed to kick off his shoes and take of his shirt before he slid under the covers with me, holding me close. I smiled at him sleepily, and he kissed my nose, making me blush and bury my face in his bare shoulder to try to hide it.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been far too long.
Thank you to
dare.we.believe
and
Tay May.
for their interest. I apologize for spelling/grammar mistakes, as it's currently 1:29 am here... XD
I honestly missed this story, and I hope to continue it, all the way to the final chapter.
XOXO