Later

1/1

When Tommy was late to rehearsal that was Adam's first clue that something was off with the older man. Tommy was never late, not for anything. In fact, he was always early and usually the first one there, even before most staff of whatever venue they were at.

So when Tommy was nearly an hour late for their rehearsal and bundled up, with nothing but the tips of his blonde hair showing, Adam knew instantly that something was wrong.

Instead of rushing Tommy and demanding to know what was wrong, Adam watched him and waited until he knew for sure what was going on, or that something even was going on. It was silly, really, for Adam to worry like he was but it was Tommy and Adam cared for him, in ways he'd yet to admit to anyone, so when it was obvious something was up, Adam was on red alert.

It took two more days before Adam finally figured out what was going on with his bassist. They were in another state, another nameless city, and Adam was smack in the middle of performing 'Music Again' when his audience gasped loudly before falling deadly silent. It only took seconds for Adam to realize that Tommy, who was no longer playing, was lying on the stage, eyes rolled into the back of his head.

Adam panicked. No. Panicked might not have been the best way to describe the frenzy Adam went into. Dropping his cane and microphone, Adam rushed to Tommy's side and quickly gathered the smaller man into his arms. With tears already forming in his eyes, Adam let Monte and LP rush their friend from the stage, only hesitating long enough to take one last look at the sea of people staring wide eyed at him before he ran.

“Some call an ambulance, NOW!” Adam shouted the second he was backstage. Pulling at the heavy jacket that he wore, Adam carelessly tossed it to the floor.

“Adam, you need-” Someone started and Adam snapped.

“The only thing I need to do is be with Tommy. Go out there and tell them the show is over. They'll understand. Believe me, they will. I just, I'm not going back out there. Not without knowing...” Adam trailed off, his emotions taking over.

“The ambulance is on its way. Monte's with Tommy. Go, baby and we'll meet you at the hospital as soon as we can.” Allison said as she leaned up and pressed a quick kiss to Adam's cheek.

Adam nodded quickly and turning, he fled.

The ride to the hospital was something Adam never wanted to experience again. Not from his point of view and not from Tommy's. Having to sit and see Tommy, still unconscious, so pale and unmoving, it made Adam sick.

Inside the hospital, Adam could do nothing but wait. And pace. And panic. And, he was man enough to admit it, cry. When he cell phone rang, Adam jumped, a tiny gasp escaping his mouth. He answered before even looking to see who it was.

“Hello?” Adam's voice broke.

Oh, baby.”

“Mama.” Another wave of tears began to roll down Adam's face.

Allison called me. I've already talked to Tommy's mother and she's on her way. How is he? How are you?” Leila asked and it was clear that she'd been crying herself.

“I don't, mama, they won't tell me anything!” Adam exclaimed. “Or, they haven't yet. I don't know. They just took him back into the ER and I'm still standing out here and, oh god, mom I'm still in my stage clothes!” Adam's eyes widened.

Okay, baby. Do you need me there? I'll fly out if you do.”

Adam couldn't help but smile. His mom really was amazing.

“Just, let's wait and see, okay?” Adam's voice quivered.

Call me, okay? As soon as you know something.”

“I will, and thanks mom, for calling.” Adam said, a hint of a smile on his face.

He might be your glitterbaby, but he's just as much my Tommy Joe, so you might as well learn how to share now.” Leila laughed. “Love you, baby.” She said before hanging up.

It was another hour before anyone came and told Adam anything. Allison had come and gone, but Adam wasn't moving. Not until someone told him something about Tommy.

“Mr. Lambert?” Someone asked and Adam was on his feet quicker than he knew he could even move.

“Yeah, me, that's me.” Adam said in a hurry. “Tommy, is he...”

“Mr. Ratliff is severely dehydrated. On top of that, he has the beginnings of the flu.” The doctor in green scrubs said.

“Fuck.” Adam whispered, his eyes wide.

“Has Tommy shown any symptoms lately? Fatigue perhaps? Or maybe-”

“He's been late to rehearsal a couple of times.” Adam said quickly. “Tommy's uh, he's never late for anything. I noticed he was kinda dragging his feet a bit but I, I didn't say anything.” Adam ducked his head.

“Its not your fault, Mr. Lambert. Tommy should have been taking better care of himself. As of right now we have him hooked up on an IV feeding him plenty of fluids as well as some antibiotics to fight the flu like symptoms he has.”

“But he, Tommy's going to be okay, right?” Adam asked, worry setting in again.

“He'll need a few days of rest, bed rest preferably, and plenty of fluids as well as a simple cold medicine to fight the flu but yes, Tommy will be fine.”

The doctor smiled and Adam felt like he could breath again.

“Can I...?” Adam trailed off, not sure if he was even allowed back to see the other man.

“We had Tommy moved into a private room half an hour ago so yes, you are more than welcome to visit him. Normally, I'd say visiting hours are over in an hour but for you, I think we can make an exception. He's on the second floor, room 212.”

Adam was off in a run almost before the doctor was finished speaking. Completely ignoring the elevator, Adam ran up the stairs, needing to get to Tommy as quickly as he could. Two flights of stairs were nothing, not when he was this close to seeing Tommy again.

Standing outside of room 212 and Adam only found himself stopping long enough to try and catch his breath before he was pulling the door open, nearly yanking it off its hinges.

Seeing Tommy, still just as pale as he was before, without his makeup this time, nearly took Adam's breath away. This time with the IV's and machines hooked up to him, it wasn't something Adam could stomach seeing.

“Hey, babyboy.” Adam gasped, his head jerking up at Tommy's voice.

Despite it all, Tommy was smiling when Adam looked at him.

Adam was across the room, gathering Tommy into his arms before the older man knew what was happening.

“Oh, babyboy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you.” Tommy said as he smoothed down Adam's wild hair. It was odd, seeing Adam like this, but if the tight feeling in his chest was anything to go by, it was a good sign, for Tommy.

“Jesus, Tommy, you're sorry?! How about no. I'm the one that should be sorry!” Adam said, eyes wide and voice loud. “You were sick and I didn't even notice!”

“Its not your job to notice, Adam.” Tommy said, settling himself back onto the hospital bed.

“The fuck its not!” Adam yelled, jumping from the bed. “It is my job!”

“Adam, I-” Tommy started.

“No, just stop. We are not having this conversation with you in a hospital bed. We're just not. You need to get better and I need you to get better so we can have this conversation.” Adam said, looking directly at Tommy and smiling, just a little.

“Okay,” Tommy said. “Later.” Smiling, the blonde man laid his head back and took a deep breath. “Shit, the show!” He gasped, eyes jerking open.

“Dude, you passed out on stage, no one is gonna be upset over canceling the rest of the show. Or the next few days, for that matter.” Adam said, matter of factly.

“Adam, no!” Tommy said, eyes wide.

“Tommy, yes!” Adam mocked. “You're sick and I'm not exactly planning to let you outta my sight for the next few days so touring it out. Now, get some rest. Your mom is on her way.”

Tommy groaned and Adam, Adam laughed. It was good to see Tommy acting like himself. Or to just see Tommy awake was enough for Adam at the moment.

“Thanks, Adam.” Tommy said, finally giving in and closing his eyes, letting sleep wash over him.

Settling himself in the chair closet to the bed, Adam reached out and grasped Tommy's hand tightly in his own, rubbing his thumb across the bass players knuckles.

“Anything for my glitterbaby.” Adam said softly, pressing a kiss to Tommy's hand.

In his sleep, Tommy smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: My concert buddy wanted this prompt written tonight so I hope I did it justice. Hope you guys liked it. More tomorrow night. =)