‹ Prequel: Lonely Ferris Wheel.

Lovely Ferris Wheel.

Lovely Ferris Wheel.

If she had to pick her favourite night, it would probably be the one spent underneath the Ferris wheel. Why? Because that was the moment she realised she knew what true love was, and that she was willing to lose herself in it. True love is finding someone you can trust with your deepest secrets, someone you feel completely comfortable with but they still feel your gut with those childish nerves when it comes to talking to them.

Maybe it was the magic of the Ferris wheel or the security of one of her best friends stood beside her that made her feel that way, but perhaps it was destiny. Regularly, as she laid in bed staring out at the whitewash ceiling of her bedroom, her mind would carry her like a pensive to the moment, and everything would be vividly clear, each sense would be in tune to the atmosphere as it was that night.

The Ferris Wheel was the main attraction of the fair and its lights could be seen from miles around, the greens and blues shot through the sky like a shooting star. The screams of excitement was on the edge of everyone’s hearing, and the closer you got to the fair you could hear the beat of the latest dance music trying to escape the enclosures of the speakers, and that beat would overtake your body and you would be sucked into the heart of the fair.

It was mid November, and the scent of Christmas was mingled within the excitement of the fair. Goosebumps covered her skin, despite her attempts at keeping her blood flow at a comfortable temperature with her auburn hair tucked messily into her hat, a scarf with a few dropped stitches hung loosely around her neck and matching gloves tailored to fit perfectly around her long fingers of ice.

There was a single patch of skin on her right hand where heat was present, the spot where his thumb was slowly circling around a stray thread of her glove, and this action kept her blood leaving it’s liquefied state. He was always there to keep her body functioning in the coldest of weathers, to keep everything together when her life was falling apart.

The sound of young laughter loitered on the air, the fresh feeling of childhood memories would fill up everyone’s mind as they watch children run along holding pillows of candyfloss, ice creams somehow melting in the winter months and their looks of excitement as they watched the florescent lights fill the sky. Just like she was doing, and just like she had done in the past.

She’d done it all with the same person beside her. Her best friend. Sometimes they’d be more people there, but he was a constant blessing she carried with her. He was a necessity, he gave the comfort that everything was okay. He let her cry on his shoulder over so many boys, and he just knew the right things to say to make everything better.

She could see him twitching slightly as he held her hand, his Adams apple was bobbing slightly above the top of the scarf, a scarf she had bought him in fact, and he kept on glancing down at her with a look of worry on his face. She decided not to question it however, as he’d often go into these silent ~poetic moods and she’d quickly learnt it was best not to ask questions as they would only be answered in a cryptic method. He was the quiet, sensitive type and a brilliant listener. He was everything you needed in a best friend.

She caught his eye and smiled at him, and she could see the gesture warming up his whole expression within seconds. She always found it reassuring how such a small gesticulation could make his day. She was about to say something to him, when she was interrupted by her name being called out by her boyfriend.