The Matchmaker

It's What I Do

I was walkin back to the table I sit at during lunch I had just taken my first phone call of the day and honestly there may be nothing I can do for that case. The freshman crushing on the senior, it never works and its really hard to help. Even if it does work, they can't maintain the relationship as the senior moves onto college life. As I sit down and take out my lunch, the thought that often sits in my mind is why do I help these people. I know it won’t last, and they are so pathetic to come to me. Besides non of them have ever done anything for me. Oh yeah, I'm like the advice collumnist I can't disappoint my callers.

“You would think someone who gets so many texts an phone calls would be more popular or have a boyfriend,” Karly jokes. I glare at her as she shies away behind her sandwich. Karly is my best friend, she tries to get a joke in when ever she can.

“Don’t joke Karly,” Allison says, “you know Willa is very sensitive about her nonexistent love life.” Her and Karly both burst into laughter. Now Allison, doesn't joke that much, she is rather quiet. But when she gets a word in its either hilarious, inspiring or insulting. She knows exactly what to say and when to say it.

“Haha. Coming from the two people who try so hard to get noticed, but never do.” So I am a terrible friend but it was true. Now me i mainly stuck to the sarcasm and dry humor.

Karly was a lot like me and I think that's why we got along, we were both extremely judgemental and we were both trustworthy. Karly had wavy brown hair that she died once a year either slightly darker or slightly lighter. She had green eyes and a button nose, she was half white half hispanic. Allison is the nicest person you'll ever meet, she is short and has straight reddish brown hair. The three of us were like the three amigos, we had other friends, but it was mostly just us.

“Well, we can’t all have the great self control you have. I swear you are no fun,” Karly said angry. But it wasn't a real anger rather a joking anger. The type of anger she only showed to Allison and I.

“Sorry, guess I’m just…” I started to be cut off by the ring of my cell. “I gotta take this one guys, be right back.” As I walk away I hear one of them say Who the heck is she always talking to? But I was too far to hear who said it. I barley know who I am talking to half the time. It's a big school, there is absolutely no way to tell.

“Hello, what can I o for you,” I start every conversation the same way. It was very monotonous, and as much as i dreded setting people up for relationships that would ultimately fail, i did enjoy the happiness it sometimes sparked.

“Hello, I'm Leslie.” The voice on the other side said. Of course, so you know, to keep my conversations private I go to the girls bathroom on the third floor of the C building. No one ever wants to go there because we are all to lazy to walk that high and far during lunch time.

I also have a seperate phone, so no one recognizes the number. I like it, it makes me feel important. The phone is prepaid thanks to my afterschool job. “So, Leslie is this your first time calling.” I ask. Just for my own need, its a big school i don't know everyone.

"Yeah, its my first time," she says anxiously. I get more calls this time a year than any. Its valentines formal time, not too many people want to be alone.

"So what is your dilemma?" I ask. I really don't much enjoy doing it, it takes away a lot of my free time. But, my mom always told me to use my gifts and this i consider a gift. And use it for the good of society.

“Well, I think I am in love with Ian Haines and we flirt in Biology, but i think he does that with everyone,” she rammbled out real quick. He does, although I have no clue who Leslie is I do know who Ian is. He is a freshman similar in almost everyway to his junior brother Anthony. I get far to many calls about both of them and Ian is only a freshman, these girls should give up there are guys who are just out of your league.

"Ok Leslie, you have lots of competition because everyone in your class and even certain sophomores show obvious affection to him. So don't let him have you." It was my advice these boys love a chase. He'll take an easy catch but only for a little makeout session, something long lasting takes more.

"I don't get it," she asked. They never get it.

"Play hard to get, make him want you, he lives for a challenge. Give it to him, and trust me." They also never trust me, but they do it and who is always right? Me, thats who.

"But, what........" she started.

"Thank you for your call, goodbye Leslie." I said hanging up. I deal with relationships not stage fright. I call it that cuz they aren't being themselves, if theirself worked they wouldn't be calling me.

And as i walk back to the seating area, i hear passing conversations about things i could care less about, and some about me. Some say my whole concept is dumb and who am i to argue with them. Some wonder who i am. I hate passing conversations. It is a major mystery, but not many people know who I am and not many people who do would even expect it.

I came back to sit with at the table and as I took my seat Karly said, "do you have some secret life that we don't know about."

"Haha, it's strictly business," I said and they just rolled her eyes.

“Why would anyone listen to that loser over the phone, it doesn’t work” Tanya Dean said to the people she sits with. This includes the snobs and the jocks, and to them me and my friends are merely freaks. I only overhear her conversation, because coincidentally our tables are right bye eachother. I often wonder why because we all admitted or at least pretend like we hate them.

“I really hate her,” I said to Karly. Karly turned around to look over at her, looked back glaring and shrugged.

“She is kinda right. I mean someone who helps you date how lame is that,” she said. I played it off cool, cuz not even my best friend knows its me. And to be honest I agree the whole concept was stupid. Oh well.

"I can't believe you agree with Tanya," Allison said. At least someone is always on my side, but I'm almost posative that Allison has called before, but I can't quite remember.

“I don’t know I’ve called, she sounds pretty hot” I heard one of the guys say. I looked over to see that Anthony was the one talking. It was a lie he had never called me, I know who he is.

“You called that,” Tanya said.

“Well, I didn’t need it I hung up right away,” he said. It makes sense he doesn’t need me to get a girlfriend, but he could call to ask how to break up with that bitch. Though I will take the compliment that my voice sounds nice.

“He only thinks she’s hot because he has no clue who she is,” I said to Karly.

“Ok I can understand that, but what does he see in the she devil that he doesn’t see in me?” Allison asked. She had been crushing on that person ever since sixth grade.

“You really want to date a beefcake with no brains Allison?” I asked.

“He’s not a brainless beefcake,” she said defensively. She then went into a daze looking over at the table full of as Karly called it “forbidden treasure”. “He has to be smart, to help make the football plays,” she said.

“Oh please Allison, a monkey with 2 different color markers could draw out a football play,” Karly said and the two of us laughed. Its not like Karly didn’t like football guys too, but she likes to joke around.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried this on a different site, but didn't get too far