The Matchmaker

Smart Move Allison

It was the day of the science fair, a whole bunch of display boards set up in our gym and the cookies and refreshments upstairs. Mine and Karly's project was ninth in our category, I think it would be sad if the AP projects got beat out by regular chem students. Though you never know, sometimes smart kids come up with dull projects. We got the smart conceptual gene not the creative gene. Then again I didn't want a repeat of last year, we didn't place because everything we said was "above" the level of a sophomore. The penalized us for being smart.

Karly and I were upstairs with Allison, waiting till they called contestants. "So you want me to hold your sacred matchmaker phone," Allison said excited, but also in a hushed tone.

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes, "no cell phones on the floor."

"What happens if someone calls or texts," she said.

"Just say something insightful, you heard what I said to you," I said. At that point they called the contestants to their post. I pushed my phone at Allison and Karly and I headed down stairs. We actually had plenty of time since the judges had to go through eight projects before ours.

Allison's POV

I felt extremely cool holding this phone, kind of empowered, I wouldn't get too many calls, I mean half the school was at this thing and the nerdy half. You know the ones who really do need help finding guys or girls.

I had texted what I thought was good advice to one person and that was it. I was becoming sad because the judges were almost at Karly and Bre's project. Then the phone rang and I was practically jumping at the chance to answer it. "Hello Matchmaker," I said upbeat, "what is your problem."

"I'm hurt usually you know it's me," the voice on the other side said. I was kind of shocked that Bre would know, there must be several people who call and why save them all with no interest in calling back. I looked at the phone and it said Anthony. Oh shoot this was a warning. "Oh yeah, just playing Anthony," I tried to play it off.

"Something is different," he said. I could feel myself get nervous. I was completely in the open, how does Bre manage to this.

"Umm a cold," I said thinking on my feet.

"Ha, likely excuse," he said, "you are so not, well her."

"Yeah, I am," I said losing my cool completely. I looked over the balcony and tried to see if he was there. My eyes widened when my view caught his eyes and a smirk grew on his face. Yikes, she's going to kill me. I knew Karly still had her phone, so I texted her 911. This was definitely an emergency.

I ran to the stairs to get down, but I was too late he was walking up and I picked the wrong staircase. "Allison," he said still smirking, "I know it's not you." I had a hesitant face, I couldn't even play this off every smoothness inside me was gone.

"So she's here and she's your friend," he said and then looked toward the floor of contestants, "so who is she."

"Why would I tell you," I said giving him a surprised look.

"Because you're jealous and you know it would bring her pain to be found out," he said giving me a look.

"Excuse me," I said, "she is my friend and I don't know what I saw in you, she was right all along." I walked away and went down, but I couldn't walk up to my friends. If I did it would be terrible.

Bre's POV

The judges came close and said, "so what is your project."

"The effect of temperature on the chemicals with in glow sticks," Karly said. And we both continued to explain until they thanked us and went on to the last two contestants. I saw Karly's eyes grow big as she looked down at her phone. Am I the only person who abides by the rules these days. "Umm look at this," she held up her phone which had the numbers 911 written.

I looked upstairs and saw Allison talking to Anthony. "I'm going to kill her," I said to Karly and then continued, "I hope she's smart enough not to talk to me tonight."

"Wow Bre you must be mad," Karly looked shocked, "I kind of like it." I didn't even mean it that way.

"No because if she does she'll narrow it down even more," I said shaking my head and Karly just laughed a bit. Who am I kidding, now it was cake, it would not be hard at all to figure out who Allison's friends were. The three of us are inseparable. As I saw her come down stairs and walk over to other people I just glared at her. When she caught my glare she gave a sympathetic look. She better be sympathetic because this is all her fault.

We ended up in second place, losing to a project about a bubble. It doesn't matter I wanted to get out. Karly and I walked to the car where Allison was waiting. We hopped in and rode off. Karly had to drop Allison off at her house and then drop me off at work.

"Wow that was close," Allison said.

"You are so dumb," Karly blerted out.

"Yup we won second in the fair, but you won first in the 'I'm an idiot contest'," I said giving Allison an angry smile.

"At least I was smart enough to stay away," she said.

"But not smart enough to hide while answering a secret hotline," I said. She bit her lip and looked down at her feet. We dropped her off and then headed to my work. This was a nightmare, things get better and then my friends become idiots.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it has been so long