The Matchmaker

Bad Luck

"I don't even like this perfume," Allison said as the security guard sat infront of us not believing a single word we were saying.

"Well," he said, "we'll get the security tapes in about twenty minutes, so for now just wait there." He pointed to the waiting area where other dilinquents were already sitting. Karly started elbowing me and when I finally looked at her she was pointing at the clock. I looked and my eyes widened, of course they took out bags and phones.

"Umm don't we get one phone call," I said standing up.

The guy laughed a little and then said, "this is a mall not jail." He started walking away and I needed that phone call.

"Umm I know my rights," I said and he turned giving me an amused look, "yeah buddy I took a course in law and I got an A." Karly tried to hold back her laughter knowing what a complete joke the class was. But I tried to keep a serious face on so that he would believe me, let's face it mall cops didn't know shit about the law.

"Fine you can have a phone call," he said pointing to the phone.

I looked at the clock and dialed the number for Allison's house and her sister picked it up saying, "cutting it close this time."

"Yeah," I said and then I knew my mom called because it started beeping and when I was back on I said, "hey mom."

"Honey, why do you sound so you know..." she cotinued but I had to cut her off.

"Oh we just forgot something and I'm worried Karly won't get it before the stores close," I said lying through my teeth.

"Oh it'll be fine honey," she said.

"One minute," the cop said loud enough that my mom would hear.

Think fast, "Allison's dad's making diner." I moved the phone further from my face, "coming," then I moved it closer, "got to go bye mom." I waited for her to hang up and then I hung up and I sat back down with the rest of them.

"God I hope we don't actually need that call," Allison said.

"You didn't do anything," I said giving her a look that said 'are you crazy'. She just shrugged and I continued, "let's not even pretend like we could possibly be guilty." I just sat back and the three of us stayed very close to eachother because the other peopl in there were extremely creepy and kind of scary.

"Okay your free to go," he said to us. I personally wasn't going to question it because who knows if he would change his mind. Unfortunitely my friends don't think the way I do or we all would have booked it.

"Really, why," Karly asked.

"After looking at the tapes, we found someone slipped the item in question into your friends bag," he said. I was pulling at Karly to go, but she wasn't satisfied.

"Let me guess it was a blonde girl with a sequin dress on," she said with her eyebrows raised. He just ndded and then I finally got Karly to move. We all headed out the door and Karly yelled, "thanks." As soon as we got to the car Karly looked at me, "that bitch is desperate to get you to miss this party."

"Then let's just give up, the party already started," I said.

"That dress wasn't cheap," Allison said, "besides it doesn't end till like 2 in the morning Bre, when's the last time you've been to a party." I just looked at her because she knew it's been a while. She shrugged and just turned forward, "point is we're going."

"Oh Bre wants to go," Karly said, "no matter how much she denies it." I glared at her and she just laughed at me. We were how far away from the gated community and we were in my truck, I look like exactly what they want to keep out. But it didn't matter at all since about four blocks from the front gate my dads truck broke. That was why he didn't take it to work today.

"Unbelievable, living proof of Murphy's law," I said hitting the hood of the car. Both of them looked at me like I was crazy, "anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

"You are too smart," Allison said, "what do we do now."

"I guess we walk," I said.

"No we run," Karly said and we all began running in dresses, heel and boots. If I fell I swear I would just about kill someone.

We were running for I don't know how long and then my phone vibrated. "Hello," I said.

"Umm, your mom just called and I had to cover," Bridget said, "she's going to call back in like a minute."

"Thanks," I said thankfull that Bridget was cool enough to cover.

"Not so fast," she said, "you owe me ten dollars for everytime I cover for you."

Fine," I said and I could tell she was smiling on the other side. My mom kept it short and I was thankfull that we finally got to the gate. We walked over to the booth to talk to yet another security guard. "Excuse me," I said kindly, "we're here for the Haines party."

"Aww yes," he said and we were about to walk in, "not so fast." He stopped us and looked at him, "what are your names."

"Karly, Bre and Allison," Allison said pointing to each one of us as she introduced.

"Just as I thought," he said.

"Are we on the list," Karly asked confused.

"Yeah the wrong list," he said looking up, "I suggest you sickos leave before I call the cops." He gave us the most serious look and we knew not to ask why in this circumstance.

"You have terrible luck," Allison said as we went around to the big wall that surrounded the area. Did he have to live in a gated area, this wouldn't happen if the story was at someone normals house. I was about to give up, but my briliance shined through and told me otherwise. I pointed so that they would see what I did. "I don't see anything," Allison whined.

I ran over to the wall and looked up at the tree. I started taking my shoes off and then looked over at them, "give me your shoes." They gave me questioning looks, but they did as I said and I took all of our shoes and threw them over the fence.

"Your crazy," Karly said.

"Shut up and follow my every step," I said as I began to climb the tree. When I got to the top I hopped onto the wall and made sure the security guard couldn't see. I jumped down and it was a long jump, but i made sure the cost was clear for Karly and Allison who followed me. "Genius," I said as we put our shoes back on, "you guys should trust my ideas."

"Let's get you to your party," Karly said as we ran over to the house with the music and the one that was just screaming teenage party.