The Matchmaker

Took My Advice

I literally only had like three minutes to eat my lunch, so I had to try to finish eating in the rest of my classes. And then I had to get out of there quick, I had the early shift at the diner. I walked in no more than two minutes late and of course the thorn in my side was there to remind me, "you're late, I should really fire you."

"Go right ahead Gabe," I said not really in the mood for anything. I was just kind of one of those bitter people or at this moment I was. I went to the back and started waiting tables as usual and it was a pretty busy day so I actually had to do work. Taking many orders down and bringing them their food. It was a monotonous process.

"Bre, I got you're Fettuccine and your Cesar salad," one of the cooks said and I took both into my hand and was about to go out. Then someone came in and I dropped as quick as I could. I put the food in front of me and started pushing it as I crawled across the floor following the food. I was pushing it back to the back room.

"What are you doing," Gabe said and I looked up because I was hoping to get away with it.

"Hiding," I said and half shrugged.

"And just when I thought you were actually working," he said picking up the food and I got up and brushed myself off before moving past him where I would be out of sight to the customers.

"I was working, but we have an unwanted visitor," I said pointing out there.

"Oh so now you don't want to talk to that pretty boy," he said.

"Exactly so can you take over my work till he leaves, please," I said begging.

"He's not sitting in your area," Gabe said and I just stood there as if asking so, "just go serve your area and Connie will serve him."

"But you don't know him, he's more annoyingly persistent than you," I said and he just walked away after pushing the two plates I had at me. I took a deep breath and walked out to hand the meal to the middle aged couple and I quickly tried to retreat while Connie took his order.

"Oh Bre I have a very cute guy who really wants to talk to you sitting at table six," she said in her annoying voice.

"I don't want to talk to him," I said bitterly.

"Why not he's really cute," she smiled.

"If you and I are the slightest bit friends you should just respect that I do not want to talk to him," I said.

"Fine," she said. Thank God it was Connie because Miranda would have tried to trick me into going out there. I'll just sit back here and pray to a god, that I don't believe in, that no one will come and sit in my area.

It didn't work, someone sat there, but I didn't move pretending like I didn't see the family of four. "Oh Bre," Gabe sang pretending to look for me, "you know someone is sitting in your area."

"You hate me don't you," I said giving him the death stare.

"I just like it when my employees do their jobs," he said with and evil smile. I narrowed my eyes and went over to the table to take their order.

"Can I start you guys out with some drinks," I said pushing out a smile.

"I'll have a coke, the girls will have lemonades, and what do you want honey," the man said as he turned to his wife.

"I'll just take water," she said and I nodded my head and walked back to get the drinks.

"Bre," Anthony said as I walked by his table, but I just ignored him and kept walking. "Come on talk to me, Bre," he begged following me.

"Not now I'm working," I said.

"If we don't talk now we'll never talk," he said.

"Yup that's what I'm planning on," I said going behind the counter only to have him follow me, "Anthony it's employees only."

"I don't care," he said.

"I will not under any circumstance go out with you, not to prom, not anywhere," I said.

"Why, I just want to know why," he asked.

"Why, you're asking me why," I said almost laughing and then I realized something. "You, you're the one who called me, but it wasn't you're voice," I said.

"I have friends," he said.

"Don't you even dare try and use my advice against me," I said shaking my head. How did I not know at the moment.

"Don't avoid the question, why Bre," he said.

"Because I don't like you, I know you're ego doesn't quite understand that, but I don't and I don't want to be around you," I said.

"Hey you're not supposed to be back here," Gabe said.

"One minute," Anthony said to Gabe who now looked extremely angry. "I don't believe that for one second, I think you're scared and you don't want to admit it."

"Please scared of liking you," I said.

"Maybe," he said, "or maybe scared someone could actually like you or even love you." Those words hit me and his eyes stayed strong on mine. I didn't want to let down the defenses I had, but it was getting kind of hard.

"What," I said totally in shock.

"I'm calling the cops," Gabe said and walked away.

"I said I love you," he turned around and looked at Gabe, "don't bother I'm leaving."

I was so shocked and a little lost. He did take my advice, he called my bluff, he asked me why and he said something I definately never thought I'd hear him say. I know I said that would work, but I honestly tought in giving this type of advice it wouldn't work on myself. I don't know if it did, I'm not scared and I never said yes to anything.