The Matchmaker

A Disaster

It had been two weeks of the two of them going on random dates, and they hadn't gotten anywhere, yet he has called me once almost everyday. I was at work and it was a Thursday, why was I at work, I didn't want to be there.

I was sitting in the back taking bites out of the random pies we had in storage, I don't know why, but today it tasted really good. My phone rang, "hello," I said and my mouth was half full.

"What's on the menu," Anthony asked me.

"Oh how was your date, it was a dinner right," I said.

"Wow you must really like me to be stalking me," he said.

"Shut up, you told me yesterday," I said, "you're becoming more a regular to this line than most of the desperate girls I constantly try to help."

"I'm just trying to get it right this time," he said.

"Then what are you waiting for, make it official she's not going to wait forever you idiot," I said and I took another bite of pie.

"Why don't you ever work," Gabe said and my eyes got wide as I tried to hide the pie. "I see the pie, why don't I fire you."

"Because you love me," I said with a cute smile.

"Is that your boyfriend," Anthony said, "that's why you don't like me."

"Yeah right, it's my boss he caught me eating on the job," I said into the phone.

"You and that phone," he said, "tell your boyfriend bye and get back to work."

"This is not my boyfriend, just give me a second and I'll start working," I said. He left the room shaking his head. "Sorry, my boss is always bothering me about being on the phone, so lets make it quick why are you calling today."

"I like Allison, but something is keeping me from making her my girlfriend," he said, "I can't do it."

"Well, you better she's not going to wait forever," I said, "and there aren't too many girls like her, so get your shit together and just do it." I hung up on him, I'm actually really good at hanging up on people.

The next day at school Allison was whining about him not taking it to the next level. I understood her completely, it was him who was confusing me. As much as I think I know people, they always surprise me.

"I'll be right back," Allison said. And she went one way.

"Oh shoot," I said to Karly, "I left my math homework in my car." Karly rolled her eyes and shooed me away.

"Hello," I picked up my phone after one ring.

"Hi, it's Allison," she said, "how do I get Anthony to take it to the next level, we date, he seems into me, I just don't understand."

"Give him an ultimatum," I said, "he just needs a wake up call, tell him your tired of of this and he'll wake up, he just doesn't know the stakes yet."

"That will work," she questioned.

"If it doesn't then you should never ask me for advise again," I said and she hung up.

At lunch it was happening, something I never thought that Allison would do. She wasn't the confrontation type. "Anthony we need to talk," she said.

"Yeah sure Allison," he got up and stood in front of her with his hands in his pocket, "what's up."

"Anthony, I don't want to keep doing this if there is no chance of us getting further," she said he looked at her totally confused. I know what he was thinking, he was thinking that I was right. I'm always right. "If you like me, then I'll be your girlfriend, but I don't want to be less than that."

"Allison," he said looking into her eyes, "sorry, I can't, I just don't feel anything between us."

Allison walked over on the verge of tears, "Allison I'm so sorry." I hugged her and she started crying and wiped away her tears. I turned and looked at Anthony and glared, how dare anyone do that to my best friend.

That night after work I was up till midnight texting Allison about what a jerk Anthony was. I didn't understand that, I set it up perfectly what could have gone wrong. I might be up thinking about this for a while.

My phone buzzed and I was shocked since Allison was the one who texted good night. I checked it and it was the other phone. "Hello," I said.

"Hey," he said kind of weak.

"You, what is wrong with you. You two were perfect, I helped her and I helped you what could possibly make you say no," I said rambling off.

"I knew it was fake," he said, "if you help them it's not real."

"I help lots of people, I just give them advise, every girl has a best friend who gives advise, mine is just better," I said yelling into the phone, "give me a real reason."

"I like you," he said, "at first I liked her, but then I talked to you more and then everyday I wanted to here your voice and that's why I said no."

"That's crazy," I said. I was so shocked, but I put out that cool act to hide my shock.

"The crazy part is I don't know who you are, and no one does," he said.

"That's because no one is supposed to," I said, "I would just do some stupid blog if I wanted people to know."

"I'm going to find out who you are," he said.

"Not even my best friends know, so good luck," I said and I hung up. Me he said no because of a voice he hears once a day.