The Matchmaker

In Need of Help

Over the weekend I ignored every call he made and only took calls from actual people looking for help. I didn't at all think that I would ever have this problem. I mean I had foreseen every problem or possible way to be figured out, but I figured no one would care. I guess it just takes one stupid boy.

Karly picked me up and brought me to school on Monday, why, because my car absolutely hates me. I think it's just my rotten luck that it is always breaking. We walked into a school that was cursed with gossip, everyone kept whispering. "What the hell is going on here," Karly said looking at me.

"I don't know," I said looking around at everyone.

"I'll tell you," Allison said coming out of nowhere, "Anthony's trying to find out who the matchmaker girl is." She held up the school newspaper, honestly I had no idea we had a school newspaper. Anyways, the headline read The Matchmaker with a subtitle The Girl Behind The Voice. That's kind of dumb, that's why no one cares about school newspapers.

"This is ridiculous," I said throwing the newspaper behind me.

"I know," Allison said, "he used me to get to this imginary girl." She rolled her eyes and Karly and I looked at each other and laughed. "What," she said looking at us.

"I don't think Bre was talking about your stupid problem," Karly said.

"Karly lets be sensative," I said making a sad face at Allison, "I mean she did get dumped for girl he can't even see." We both laughed and Allison just rolled her eyes again.

Karly took her cell phone out and looked at it with question, "what," I asked and she looked up.

"Oh just it's been ten minutes and you haven't run off to do homework, someone actually did their work on time, I'm so proud," she said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes, how did this turn on me. At least they were too dumb to even think that it could be me, I mean I'm always gone. I'm just so good at my slacker role.

I lasted till homeroom without a buzz on my phone, things were slowing down maybe because Valentines day and Winter Formal were on Saturday. Though I usually would get one by now. I sat in homeroom and listened to Tanya be an idiot.

"It's bad enough he went out with that Allison girl, but now he's chasing someone who as far as anyone knows doesn't exist," she said. And her two best friends nodded and repeated I know several times. "It's embarrassing," she whined finishing off her statement. I only included this because it made me laugh a bit.

Unfortunately the silence didn't last forever at break my phone was going crazy and mostly people wanting to know who I was. The phone was no longer there for advise, but everyone was just trying to solve the mystery. I continued to answer for the few people who were actually still calling for advise. It only got worse as lunch came, I went up to my usual place and I felt like dying.

"Please stop calling me," I complained on the phone as I recieved another call.

"I'm not the type to just give up when you say no," he said and I knew it was Anthony.

"Anthony this is ridiculous," I said, "I'm not a girl you can chase, I'm an advise phone line, I don't answer your calls because I like you it's my job."

"Why don't you stop helping everyone else and help yourself for once," he said.

"If I wanted to help myself I would," I said and then the thought came to my mind, "and how would you know I'm not remember you don't know who I am."

"I know, but I want to," he said.

"The problem is you have the whole school trying to figure out," I said, "I want it to be a secret, if I didn't I would just poke my nose into everyone's business."

"One hint anything," he said.

"Your messing up my life," I said hanging up.

I walked back down to the table and let my head fall on it. "What's with you," Allison asked looking at me.

"I give up, I'm never going to undertand Spanish," I whined. I can't keep this up by myself, as much as I hate to say this, I think I need to tell someone. Today, I need to tell my closest and most trustworthy friend.

When we Karly and I were half way home, I decided to let it out. "Karly, if I had the worlds biggest secret I could trust you to keep it right," I asked looking out the window to avoid eyecontact.

"Yeah," she said and then something came to her, "holy shit, your not like Hannah Montanna are you."

"I think you wantch too much disney channel," I said laughing. "I'm talking life or death secret though, I need to know you wouldn't tell a soul, not even Allison." She looked at me totally confused for a little bit.

She eventually shook off the confusion and said, "you know you can trust me with anything."

I wnted to believe her, but I paused this was bigger than anything we've ever shared. I took a breath and said, "you know that stupid matchmaker thingy." I paused to let her nod and then I continued, "yeah, that's me."

"You're kidding right," she said laughing. I shook my head no and she paused knowing my lack of laughter meant I was serious. "But you, you don't believe in love and you, your, you're never around and always getting phone calls," she started putting the peices together and then looked at me. "I can't believe I didn't figure this out," she said and then her smile faded, "I can't believe you didn't tell me."

"I'm sorry," I said, "it was embarrassing, but with everyone trying to find out who I am I needed to tel someone I trusted, someone who could help me keep the secret."

"Anthony Haines likes you," she said, "I feel so cool knowing this, too bad I can't tell anyone." She rolled her eyes and then smiled. "You have to tell me all the dumb people who use that line."

"Don't call them dumb, Allison uses it every so often," I said.

"Of course she does, I should have guessed that too," she said shaking her head. "Do you like him," she said with huge smile.

"No, and I never will because of this stupid thing he started," I said, "what I need you to do is make sure that he doesn't go around the campus looking for me and that I never talk to him." At least now I had someone to turn to, someone to help me, help me run away from my problems.