The Matchmaker

Hide-n-Seek

I decided that just sleeping over at Karly's house would be easier than her driving me home, I wasn't going to work today. We were both just sitting on her bed and she was piling questions on me, she was so intrigued by the whole situation. "Has he ever actually talked to you," she said looking at me.

"Yeah," I said, "but luckily he's too dense to remember."

"Why," she asked.

"I totally told him how to break up with Tanya," I said and she looked at me shocked, "at work."

"So I guess he's just as dumb as me," she said, "you know not seeing the obvious."

"No," I said giving her a sympathetic look, "you're way dumber because your my bestfriend and you talk to me everyday." I looked at the angry glare she was giving me and just laughed, "he talked to me and still wouldn't have a clue that I exist."

My phone started to buzz and she looked excited, "which phone is that."

I rolled my eyes, "it's him, he tries to call me everyday."

"I got this," she said taking my phone and answering it. She yells into the phone, "leave Brittney alone." I started laughing and grabbed the phone to see if he was still on the line.

"What the hell was that," Anthony's voice rang over in a confused tone.

"You heard her leave me alone," I said.

"So is your name Brittney," he said.

"Yeah sure," I said, "go look for one Brittney in a huge school, okay bye." I don't know how long it would take for him to realize my name isn't Brittney, but there are a lot and I honestly don't think he's smart.

"Okay he's not that dumb, you need to give people some credit," she said looking at me.

"You never know," I said.

The next day at school the calls to me slowed down, but people still gossiped about the whole situation. I might as well be freaking Snookie on jersey shore, everyone talking for no reason, I was like a school celebrity. It sucked because it reality I was nobody, and as soon as people knew that everything might change.

At lunch I had to get up because my phone was buzzing, "umm I got to go to the library." I looked at Karly and nodded at her to make sure she knows where I was really going. She nodded back . I slipped away to my usual hideout and took the call.

"Hey, what can I do," I said.

"Stop flirting with my fucking boyfriend you whore," the other line said.

"I know who this is," I said laughing a bit, "I don't like him anymore than he likes you."

"What does he see in you," she said angrily.

"He can't even see me," I said, "I don't understand it either." I hung up and left her with that, I wanted to say yeah you were dumped for an imaginary person. I hate this stupid drama and these useless phone calls, but now technically she's beneath me because she called this number and I never have.

I was pacing in the bathroom as I took a few more calls, actual calls from people who needed my help. I answered another call, "I think I know where you're hiding."

"This isn't your normal number," I said, "I only saved it to ignore it." I never save numbers on this phone.

"I know, and I wanted a long enough conversation to figure out where you are," he said.

"Anthony, I am smarter than that, you have no idea," I said triumphantly only to be broken by a text sent from Karly. -I lost Anthony- "Oh my God she lost him."

"Just as a reference where are you," I said into the phone.

"On my way up to the third floor of the C building," he said. I stopped talking I had to think quick, the window no, the door obviously not what to do what to do. "I saw a shadow pacing in the window of the girls bathroom, who else would be up there."

I hung up, there is no place to hide in the bathroom and there are no other people to pretend that it wasn't me. Air vent, how the hell do I get up there. I climbed up onto the top of the stalls, I used the door lock and the hook to help me up. Lucky I have no balance what so ever or this would be a lot easier. I pushed the vent up with my left hand while my right hand held onto where I was. I grabbed the inside and got to my feet on the narrow stall and pulled myself up into the vent. These things are a lot smaller than television leads you to believe.

The door creeked open and I quickly put the vent hatch thingy back on. I turned my phone on silent so he didn't call her or me. "Hello," Anthony came walking through the door and I looked down. "Are you hiding," he looked at the stall I closed to make my way up to the vent. He pushed the door open revealing no one, I put my hand over my mouth to hold my laughter. "Damn, she is good," he said.

He was about to leave and I was about to be home free and then as he left the stall he looked down and it must have fallen out of my shoe. "Study room Central Library on First Street at 4:00 on Thursday," he read out loud. That is why you don't put reminders in your shoe when your going to be climbing into vents.

I stayed up there until the bell rang and I was positive he was no where near me. I climbed down and I had to run to my next class across the school, which is what happens when you lose your footing when you climb out of a vent.

I walked into math class and took my seat next to Karly and said, "thanks for the great help."

"Sorry," she said "what happened."

"Let's just say it involves hiding in the vent and then falling," I said, "oh and he'll probably be there when we're at the library on tomorrow."

"Well that doesn't matter everyone in AP Chemistry will be there," she said shrugging. At least that was true and there were several study rooms.