Status: Active

Burn

Heart to Heart

The next day was stressful. Drew's mother was rushing around, trying to get everything ready for the next night. Drew and Cori, being the resident event planners, were doing all they could to help out Laura.

Meanwhile, Drew's father had graciously taken Brian and Skylar out of the girls way. Charles drove them through the golf course, making sure to stay away from the clubhouse. He told them the story of his hard work. How he was a self-built man and all. Brian liked hearing his story, but he was more interested in learning about Drew.

Charles concluded their tour by the pool with some beers and bar food. Brian knew this would be his chance. "So," Brian began, taking a sip from his beer. "What was Drew like as a kid?"

"Yeah," Skylar smiled. "And how did she get the name Drew?" Charles laughed heartily and wiped his mouth of any chicken wing sauce.

"That is quite a story. Laura and I had some infertility issues. Hers, of course, not mine." He quickly added. "Tried every trick in the book. I won't bore you with the trivial details. We were married 5 years before Laura was pregnant with her." A smile crept onto his face as if a memory had re-surfaced in his mind. "Well, Technically, We weren't married when we found out Laura was pregnant."

"What do you mean?" Skylar asked, intrigued by the story.

"We were married for five years, all the while trying to have a baby. After all those years with no result, it can strain a couples marriage. Eventually we thought it best to divorce. Back then, divorces were quick. Took about a week to finalize." Charles explained as he adjusted in the pool chair. "The day we go for the final hearing, Laura comes in late. Laura is never late for anything. That was sign number 1. She then as she signed the papers and the gavel came down, Laura ran out of the room. Sign number 2. After wards I went out to find her with her sister. Catherine, Laura's sister, found her in the ladies room puking her guts out. Sign number 3 and that was all I needed." He laughed. Brian had a feeling of where this story was headed.

"I told Catherine to run to the drug store and get Laura a test." He smiled. "About an hour later, Laura and I had rushed back into the courtroom and were re-married."

"Just like that?" Brian asked. Charles looked towards the clubhouse, smiling proudly.

"Best decision of our lives. I never wanted a divorce but it was what Laura thought we needed. Besides, There was no way she was going to have our child without me." Brian smiled, thinking that Charles was the kind of man he wanted to be. Proud of all his accomplishments, married to a woman he loves, and a perfect child. So far, Brian was proud of most of his accomplishments; save a few.

"So how did she get the name, Drew?" Skylar asked, sitting on the edge of his seat.

"They thought I was a boy." Drew smirked as she walked up to the lounging men. Brian turned around to watch her walk towards them. Even though she was 'home', Drew was still dressed for business. Tight black pencil skirt, tucked in white blouse, and black pumps. The only trait that gave her more of a relaxed look was her hair that blew perfectly in the cool, early spring wind. For a moment, Brian forgot how to breathe. Skylar laughed and looked to Charles.

"Wasn't entirely our fault." Drew scoffed and sat down on the arm rest of Brian's chair.

"You still kept my name like this." Charles rolled his eyes.

"Are we missing something?" Brian smiled up at Drew. Drew reached down and took the beer from his hand, taking a gulp from it.

"The doctor said in the ultrasound that I was a boy. Mama immediately went into nesting mode. Painted my room blue, football stuff everywhere. Biggest part was the very expensive nameplate over my crib."

"If you hadn't had your hand in the way, then you'd have a normal name." Charles argued. Drew rolled her eyes but smiled. They'd had this discussion before.

"You could have changed the nameplate. Instead you stick your only daughter with a guys name to get picked on in school." Charles sighed, crossing his arms. Brian and Skylar could physically feel the tension between Drew and her father.

"Drew!" Cori called down from the balcony above them. "Your mom needs us back at the clubhouse and then we're going shopping." Drew groaned and stood up.

"Tell your mother to calm down." Charles ordered. Drew laughed and took one last drink from Brian's beer.

"You know just as well as I do that that's way easier said then done." Charles nodded knowingly. Drew looked down to Brian, handing him back the half empty beer. "Thanks." He smiled as she walked back into the house. Charles watched the way Brian looked at Drew, a flash of himself and Laura coming to mind.

"Brian, How long have you been married?" Hearing the accusing tone of Charles' voice brought his attention back to him.

"Almost 2 years, Sir." Charles nodded, seeing the look in his eyes. Brian knew what he was trying to say.

"Those first few years are always the hardest." Charles said with a sly smirk. Brian turned his gaze from him. He could see the warning in his eyes. "How long were you two together before you took the plunge?" Brian shifted uncomfortably.

"Off and on since we were about 18 or so." Charles leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. Skylar looked between the two men, knowing that something was about to happen. He stood up, silently excusing himself; not that anyone noticed. As soon as Skylar was inside the house, Charles pounced.

"Do you remember what you all are here for?" Brian looked back to him defiantly. He felt like he was being reprimanded for something he hadn't really done. He had respect for Charles but didn't appreciate him 'fathering' him. "Marriage is the most sacred thing in the world. Not everyone can handle it. So, if you can't, don't. She deserves a man who can."

"I have been here for two days and you think that you have the insight of how I handle my marriage?" A fire in Charles' eyes burned a bit deeper.

"You think I can't see how you look at her? She's my daughter. I've watched guy after guy look at her over the years. Yes, She's beautiful. But the fact that you are married, you shouldn't be looking at her like that." Brian shook his head and stood up.

"You don't know anything about us." Charles shot up, storming towards him.

"So now there's an 'us' with you two?" Brian faced him, standing up for himself.

"No. Nothing. Drew has been one of my best friends for years. That's as far an any relationship between us goes." Charles scoffed but kept his intense eye contact with Brian.

"For now." He spat.

"Hey!" Drew's angered voice yelled. Charles and Brian didn't break their stare down or move away from each other. "What is going on?"

"Go back inside Drew. This has nothing to do with you." Charles ordered.

"No. Get away from him." Brian shook his head and walked off into the house. Drew tried to stop him but he pushed her off. Drew watched him walk away until he was out of her sight before shooting a heated glare towards her father. "What did you do?"

"What I did? It's what he's been doing!" He yelled, pointing off in his direction.

"Don't point," She sighed, her good upbringing coming through. "What has he been doing that's so bad?"

"You don't see the way he's been looking at you." Drew rolled her eyes. She'd been listening to her mother say how Brian obviously liked her all day. It was ridiculous. "He's married, Drew. There's no way that you could ever be with him."

"I know that, Daddy! I wish everyone would stop rubbing that in my face!" Finally sick of hearing it, Drew snapped. "I had a chance when we were in college, but I was scared. Now it's too late." Charles calmed down, seeing the genuine pain in her eyes. "Nothing is happening with us." Charles walked over and took his daughter in his arms.

"I'm just looking out for you. You're my daughter, I want what's best for you." Drew nodded and composed himself.

"You need to go apologize." Charles rolled his eyes. "Daddy. He did nothing wrong. Go say you're sorry." They may have had a rough past, but he could never say no to his little girl. Charles kissed her forehead and walked off to find Brian while Drew went back to making sure her mother didn't die of a coronary. Charles walked up to the room where Brian was staying. Brian sat on the bed, acoustic guitar in hand. Charles cleared his throat to get his attention. Brian looked up. Upon seeing him, he immediately looked back down to the guitar. Charles had a feeling that this wouldn't be easy. Brian was as hard-headed as he was. He walked in and sat down in the chair across from the bed.

"How long have you been in love with my daughter?" Brian strummed a few chords on the guitar, trying not to look at him. "You can tell me, I won't tell her."

"Since the first day I met her." Charles nodded. "She hated me," He said with a small smile. "It was my fault, really. I was the cocky guy who thought I could get every girl. For the most part, I did." Charles chuckled lightly. He, too, thought himself a ladies man back in the day. "Drew was different. She didn't fall for any of my moves. Called me an idiot time and time again. Hated when I called her Andrea, since I didn't believe Drew was her real name. She never left though. No matter how much I annoyed her, she still stuck beside me." From how Brian described how they were, Charles could tell that Brian's feelings for his daughter were deeper than he first thought.

"What about your wife?" Charles noticed that at the mention of his wife, the light he had just had in his eyes extinguished immediately. Brian focused back on the guitar.

"Michelle and I practically grew up together. He twin sister, Val, is married to my best friend. She set us up long before I met Drew. Our relationship isn't perfect. She'd been unfaithful. Admittedly, I have to in the past. She's always been there though. Always took me back, no matter what." He sighed.

"She's safe, comfortable." Brian looked up to him, wide-eyed. "You feel like you owed it to her. Together all those years and then her twin gets married. It's a tough place to be in." Brian was shocked at how he was reacting. "How did Drew take it?"

"She planned the wedding. She even re-planned it when Michelle decided to relocate the whole thing to Mexico a month before the day." Charles whistled in shock. "Yeah, That put her over the edge. Day before the wedding, she hopped on a plane to New York and didn't come back." Charles moved forward in his chair. Brian, lost in the memory of finding out when she had left. Drew not being around hurt him more than anything.

"She was hurt. She obviously cares about you. I can see why." Brian smiled lightly. "Brian, You're a good man. A little odd with all the tattoo's and your band, but a good man. You'll figure it all out." Brian stood up and held out his hand for Charles. Charles stood up and shook his hand firmly.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it." Charles smiled and patted Brian's shoulder. "Drew's a lot like you."

"Don't mention that to her." Charles laughed as he walked out of the room. Brian took a deep breath, relieved that he had patched things up with Drew's father. He knew that they were close so he didn't want to upset her. Brian walked out of his room to find her when he heard Laura, Cori, Drew, and Skylar down in the foyer. He looked over the banister to see that they were about to leave for shopping with Laura. She looked relieved for the small break from planning. Drew looked up to see him standing there. She gave him a hopeful thumbs up, asking if things were good with her father. Brian smiled and nodded. The smile that burst onto her face was enough to make Brian's heart beat faster. Suddenly the talk with Charles made him think. Brian took out his phone and texted Michelle.

Sorry I haven't called. I miss you.

He didn't need to see her reply. He knew that he had a lot of think to do about their relationship. Someone was going to come out of this hurt, he just didn't know who.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry that this took so long to update. Writers block sucks.