Middle of Summer

When the Moon found the Sun

Summer in Las Vegas was always extreme: extreme heat, extreme dryness, extreme tourists, extreme everything. I was sick of it all: the rumors, the paparazzi, the critics, the fake smiles. But on top of it all I was sick of the pressure. We were writing our second CD and the media was pressuring us, the fans were pressuring us. I mean, come on, it’s not easy writing a CD.

“Brendon, come on, we have to record voice,” Ryan said from beside me.

We have been in the studio since 6:00 am. And I haven’t sung once since we arrived. So I got up from the couch and into the sound booth. I started to sing.

♪ Oooh, how it's been so long
We're so sorry we've been gone
We were busy writing songs for
You
♪

“Brendon, you are not singing well, we have to premier this song in 4 months,” Ryan said from outside.

“Ryan, that’s 120 days away!” I yelled. I think I shouldn’t have yelled.

“I know you are tired, but so are we,” Spencer said.

The tension was starting to grow between us all. Jon stayed silent, he never was a man of much words.

“I think we all need a time out,” Jon said getting up of the couch.

I got out of the sound booth and looked at my friends, their faces showed a little bit of anger, a little bit of tiredness but they still had the same happiness they’ve had since the band got recognized.

“I agree with Jon, let’s go out,” Ryan said smiling.

“You go guys, I need to be alone for a while,” I said, scratching the back of my neck.

“Sure, we’ll meet back here in about an hour?” Spencer asked looking at his watch.

“Make that an hour and a half and we have a deal,” I bargained.

“Whatever rocks your boat, man,” Ryan said patting my back.

The three guys went out the door one by one. I sat on the couch once more and thought of a place to go, somewhere calm, somewhere where I could think freely… oh, the park! I got up and went to my car, just as I was going to open it; I remembered a park not too far from here, so I decided to take a walk.

I scanned the park, hoping that no rabid fan girls were in sight. My eyes landed on a little girl, her brown hair flowing freely as she spun before falling to the grass and laughing, why was she alone?

I scanned the park again, my eyes landed on a girl reading a book, she must be the baby sitter. Her dark brown hair was falling in her shoulders, she looked beautiful.

“Would you like to play with me?” a voice said.

I looked down and saw the little girl; she was gently tugging my jeans. Her green eyes seemed to sparkle, and she was smiling with her pearly white teeth. At least somebody’s happy in this day.

“Sure, my name is Brendon,” I said at the little girl, a smile across my face.

“I’m Ewizabewth, but my sister calls me Wizzie,” she said.

“Who is your sister?” I asked.

“See that bench, that girl,” she said pointing at the girl with the book.

I put a finger to my lips, grabbed the little girl’s hand and we quietly walked to the bench. We positioned ourselves at the back of the bench, just when we were going to scare the girl, Lizzie screamed.

The girl turned around and that was the first time her brown eyes looked at me. She had her eyes hidden behind her glasses, but I could still look at the sparkle in them.

““Lizzie, what have I told you about talking to strangers?” she said, grabbing her sister.

I started to walk away, praying to fate. I wish our roads would entwine again. Her eyes were beautiful, full of energy, full of … love? Am I falling for her? But I don’t believe in love at first sight… Do I?

I felt a tug in my jeans and saw Lizzie, she motioned me to come closer, and then she whispered in my ear.

“I want you to meet my sister,” she grabbed my hand and we walked towards her sister.

“Lala, this is Bwendwon. Bwendwon this is my big sis, Lala,” she introduced us, trying to pronounce our names correctly.

“My name is Clara, she calls me Lala,” She said.

I looked at her; I could drown in her eyes forever. I stretched my hand towards her and shook it, I felt shivers running down my spine.

“I’m Brendon,” I said smiling.

“Well, nice to meet you, but we have to get back, before my parents realize we are gone,” she said, picking her sister up, and walking towards the hotels area.

Brendon Urie, don’t stay there looking at her, go and chase her! A voice screamed at me, and obediently I followed its instructions.

“Wait! I should walk you there; two beautiful girls shouldn’t be walking alone at this hour,” I said, once I caught up with her.

The walk to the hotel was very short for my like, Clara and I talked the whole way and her sister had fallen asleep. We got to the room and I had to go, I think the band is getting worried.

“Well, here’s my stop,” she said trying to open the door with her sister in my arms.

“Here, let me help you,” I said, grabbing the room key and opening the door for her.

“Thank you,” she said smiling at me.

I saw at a couple walking towards us, and from the look that Clara had on her face, those were her parents. I’m scared. Wait… Since when have I been scared of a girl’s parents?

“Care to explain?” her mother said looking at me.

“Mom, Dad, this is Brendon. I met him at a cafe, Liz wanted a soda and I had forgotten my wallet in the room, so he paid for the drink,” she lied.

“In that case, how much is it, young man?” her father said taking out his wallet.

“Don’t worry, I have to go,” I said quickly, looking at my watch before disappearing down the hallway.

I got to the studio and instantly the questions were made.

“Where have you been? I’ve been calling you non-stop,” Ryan said, taking out my phone: 20 missed calls.

“We were worried sick, do you know what happens if you don’t appear?” Jon said.

“We thought someone had kidnapped you, did the teenies come for you?” Spencer asked, trying to hide his smile.

“I just met the most amazing girl. Her name is Clara, you should meet her, no wait, just look at her eyes, I met her at the park and followed her to her room…” I began to tell my story.

“Enough of that, we have to finish this song,” Ryan said pushing me to the booth.