Sequel: Underdog: The Rewrite
Status: Hopefully every weekend!

Underdog

But She Fakes It

I was sprawled out on my couch with Phoenix on the other end; his feet beside me, and mine on top of his. I put my hand into the bowl of popcorn as the DVR started to play the series finale of House. I squirmed as my phone started to vibrate.

“Guess that man of yours is calling you,” Phoenix winked, taking the bowl so I could get up. I looked down at the screen as I rose. It was Alexander’s shop number. I pressed the green button as I rushed outside.

“Hello,” I said quietly, looking at the tree line carefully.

“Three more days until we come for you,” The voice said on the other side of the line. It was that same deep, but smooth voice from before. The line had yet to go dead.

“What is it that you want with me,” I snapped back before he could hang up.

“We want the power you possess young Skylark. We want to use the power to start the world anew, to have a better world for us. Where those like us, with powers, can walk around freely – not shamed by those pesky humans,” He replied, a smirk apparent in his tone.

I swallowed hard, “If I go with you willingly, will you leave this town alone. Harm absolutely no one.” I could not live with myself if something happened to anyone trying to protect me, especially Nick.

“You terms are accepted. Meet us at six am at the city limit.” The line went dead. I put the phone back into my pocket, returning inside promptly.

“Who was it,” Phoenix asked, taking a fist full of popcorn into his mouth.

I sat back down on the opposite end of the couch as a close up of Hugh’s face filled the screen, “Wrong number.”

[U&D]

Rosemary was sitting on the simple chair, Phoenix standing behind giving her a back rub. “There’s something different about you lately Sky,” Rosemary pouted, tapping the arm of the chair.

“There shouldn’t be anything different,” I shrugged, “Do I seem different to you?” I looked up at Nick. He was lying behind me, with my head on his chest. He shook his head.

“I know,” Rosemary piped up, ”You two had sex!” My eyes went wide. Was she psychic?! “I knew it! Our little Skylar’s growing up.” Rosemary whipped away fake tear.

“Alexander’s funeral is in three days,” Phoenix piped in – trying to get off of the topic.

“Oh shut up,” Rosemary said, slapping his hands away from her shoulders, “So – how’d you two like it?”

“Rose,” I gasped, my mouth ajar.

“Aw, come on. I want information,” She whined, squirming in her seat. “I hate being pregnant.” Rosemary slowly stood and started down the hallway next to the stairs. The doorbell rang, and as if on cue, Nick had already risen and started toward the door. I watched as he swung the door open to reveal a man dressed in a perfectly pressed suit, styled dirty blonde hair and carried a brown leather brief case.

“Is Skylar Livingston in,” The man asked. I stood, moving towards Nick’s side.

“That’s me,” I replied as I neared his side.

“I’m Alfred Wellston, the lawyer in charge of Mr. Alexander’s estate. May I come in for a moment so I can reveal to you what was in his will?” He asked, bowing his head.

“Please,” I said, opening the door farther for him to enter. I felt Nick’s hand wrap around my waist protectively. He nodded his head as he entered the threshold.

Once he had passed and sat down on the couch opposite of where Nick and I were sitting, Nick leaned down, his breath cascading over my ear, “He’s a vampire.” I gripped his hand, closing the door with my other, and led him back to the couch.

“Mr. Bennett Alexander left you something in his will,” The Wellston explained, placing his brief case on top of his thighs. The lock clicked, and the lid flew open. He pulled out a thick package and placed it on the table in front of me. “That is the lease for the shop that Mr. Alexander had in town. He left it to you. The land is bought so you will not have to put any money into paying rent.”

“He didn’t,” I stuttered as I picked up the forums and started to skim through the law rhetoric.

“In deed he did. In his will, he stated that he felt like you could do more with the shop then he ever could. I have already put an X next to where you have to initial or sign. I will return in two weeks to pick up the paperwork so I can file it to the county.” He stood, and bowed, “I will show myself out.”

I watched as he seemed to drift across the hard wood to the door, and ever so silently open and close the door.

“Who was that,” Rosemary asked suddenly, “I go to the washroom and some creepy guy’s leaving?”

I was still sifting through the stack of papers in shock, so Phoenix piped up. “He was the lawyer behind Alexander’s will.”

“Oh, what’d he leave you,” She asked, waddling back to her seat.

“He. He left me the shop,” I choked out. I guess the shop would go to my Father in a few days when I hand myself over to The Community. I would not get to go to his funeral either.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's about three chapters left until the end of the first part of Skylar and Nick's story. The next series is already in the works, and partially written! I'll reveal the name of the sequel, the trailer, and the page to subscribe too in the next chapter!

Peace. Love. Murder. Complicate.