Status: Hiatus... sorry guys. :/

Mythology

Fire. Fire. Fire.

“Fuckin’ a,” I muttered. What the hell? I was standing in the wilderness, watching my house burn before my eyes. How did I get here? It’s a long story, and time isn’t exactly of the essence right now.

I turned on my heel sharply, not daring to stop and look at the house from this distance—I was way too close to the fire.

My home. My home was on fire. The place I grew up in. I felt tears burn my eyes, tears hotter than the flame coming from my burning house.

I ignored them the best I could; I sent the back of my hand over my eyes, smearing my eyeliner and mascara. But still, the tears continued. I let out a small sniffle. Like I asked earlier: how did I get here?

After I felt I was far enough away from the fire, I turned and gasped at the sight. The orange and red flames licked over the roof of the house, engulfing it completely. My face burned and my eyes watered from the heat and ashes. I felt that if I went any closer, my skin would be cooked like the outside of a marshmallow.

I bit my lip and took off running.

“Quinn!” I shouted, stopping dead in my tracks. Where was Quinn?

Nothing. I called out my half-sister’s name and she didn’t reply. Where was she? Still in the house? Burned alive? Quinn was the most peaceful girl I knew; being burnt alive was too violent for her to die. Then again, we aren’t anti-violent.

But we didn’t exactly die very easily.

I screamed her name again, looking for signs of life. Anything to show that my older half-sister was alive. The smoke scratched my throat as I frantically searched for her. She couldn’t be dead!

“Raynier! Right here,” I heard her voice calling from farther in the woods. I felt a tear run down my cheek as I debated looking behind me once again. The place I was raised in was falling apart and I could take one more look over my shoulder and watch it. I decided to do it.

“Don’t! Raynier, don’t! Raynier!”

Arms wrapped around my neck and I was pulled into my half-sister’s shoulder. I almost screamed from being so startled, but my throat scratched and gave out on me.

“Don’t look, Raynier, don’t look,” she repeated, keeping me close to her. I could feel the sobs shaking through her chest. I didn’t like to see her upset, and I wish there was something I could do to stop it, but there was nothing.

So we stood there for several more minutes, crying and ruining each other’s shirts. We didn’t know what to do.

“Rayne,” Quinn whispered. “We have to get out of here. We have to leave. Now.”

I looked up at her. There was that tone in her voice, the tone that told me something was up. She knew something I didn’t, she knew why we had to leave.

I pulled away from her, feeling the heat intensify on my back. “Quinn, I can’t leave this place,” I told her quietly, looking at the ground and hugging myself.

“Raynier, we have to,” Quinn begged, her voice desperate. “We can’t stay here any longer. Remember what father said?” Quinn brushed her dark orange hair out of her eyes.

I nodded slightly. I didn’t like where this was going. I didn’t want to go back to the reservation my father came from. There was no point. It would only cause us more harm.

Sirens wailed in the distance. I jumped slightly.

“Rayne, now,” Quinn said. “We have to. On the count of three. Follow me, all right?”

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat that kept me from speaking. I nodded at Quinn; this was inevitable. We had to leave some time, and because the blue were on their way, we had to make it quick.

“One,” Quinn said with a small voice. I had the sudden urge to look over my shoulder again. Quinn sensed this and grabbed my chin and forced me to look at her. “Two.”

I didn’t want to do this. My home was going down in flames—something that could have been easily prevented. It was something that we should have known would happen. But we missed it. All the signs, all the messages, all the whispers from the wind; we looked past all of it, and this is how we pay for not paying attention.

“Three. Now, Raynier!”

I reached deep into my mind as my sister said my name. I closed my eyes and really focused. I flipped a switch in the back of my mind, setting it all off.

Within half a second, I had shed my skin to become wolf.

Rayne! Let’s go! My sister’s voice echoed in my mind. I gave one small shake, ruffling my fur, before bounding after her; I had completely forgotten about looking back at my burning house.

La Push, Washington, here we come.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know, it's kinda slow at first. But, please, you gotta give it a chance. Things will get better, I promise! I'll update again either tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for reading! (: