Status: Hiatus... sorry guys. :/

Mythology

Epic Fail.

It was late and Jacob was taking Embry and Quil home.

You lied to Billy about why we’re here? I asked Quinn when Jake walked outside.

Quinn glanced at me with a look in her eye.

All emotions dropped off of my face.

You saw something? And you didn’t tell me? I asked, outraged. Quinn and I didn't keep secrets. We never have, even when we were not getting along. I tried to tap into her mind but she blocked me out. I was about to scream in frustration but remembered we were with Billy.

Why the hell didn’t you tell me?!

Drop it, Raynier, I’ll tell you later.


Jake started the car and drove off. Billy used the time that Jake was gone as an advantage and bombarded us with questions.

“Where have you two been?”

“We were in Wyoming since we left La Push.” Quinn answered. I was sprawled on the couch, playing with my fingers and listening to Billy’s intense interrogation. Quinn handled the situation perfectly, though; she kept her cool and answered his questions with as little information as possible.

So on and on it went. Question after question after question, Billy not once pausing to think.

“How is your father, girls?”

I froze at the question. I could feel Quinn hesitate, too. We exchanged a small look before I went back to playing with my fingers. My gaze found the wooden floor and I analyzed distinct shapes in the patterns.

My father wasn’t exactly a talkable subject, especially before he died in the fire. He had a horrible reputation with the elders, which is why we moved to Wyoming, and no one wanted anything to do with us again.

“Girls?”

Quinn looked at me for help, but I just looked at my hands that were folded in my lap.

“We don’t,” Quinn said hesitantly, picking her words carefully, “want to talk about our father, Billy.”

“Does he know you’re here?”

I sighed heavily. “Just drop it, okay old man?”

“Raynier,” Quinn snarled. “Be nice.”

I made a face when Quinn turned around to face Billy again. Quinn didn’t want to talk about this just as much as I didn’t want to talk about this. I’d bet she was secretly thankful I snapped at Billy.

I was still surprised that Billy had even mentioned our father. To the elders of La Push, our father’s name was the equivalent of the worst curse word in the books—maybe even the worse than the worst, if that’s even possible. His name stood unspoken, no one mentioned it or brought it up in the council’s presence.

The worst part is, he didn’t really do anything wrong. It came naturally to him, almost like imprinting, he had no control over it. But it was all blamed on him because one of the elders’ wives thought my father was rude to her. Well, not entirely. That was about five percent of what got him booted out of the res.

“Girls,” Billy said. He sighed when he realized we weren’t budging. “Fine. When Jake gets back, I’ll have him escort you to Sam’s.”

I pursed my lips. “We were talking to the boys a day or so ago,” I said, looking over the couch top and to Billy. “He said that they don’t particularly like Sam.”

Billy rolled his eyes. “They just don’t know Sam. Ignore them. There’s nothing bad about Sam; he’s a good kid.”

I nodded. “Yeah, but would he really be okay to take us to Sam’s if he doesn’t like Sam?”

Billy chuckled. “Jake will be fine.”

I shrugged. “All right, old man.”

Jake walked through the door and made a funny sound with his lips. I laughed before fake-glaring at him.

“Speak of the devil and he shall appear,” I said. I took off one of my socks and crumpled it into a ball.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He said, staring at me with a weird look in his eye.

“Be gone, Satan!” I yelled with a deep voice. I chucked the sock in his general direction and it hit him square on the chest.

I heard Quinn sigh and could see her roll her eyes. I turned around and grinned at her before I felt something hit me.

“That’s my present for you.”

It was a sock. Oh, did I forget to mention that it was Jacob’s stinky, smelly, nasty sock? Well yeah… that’s what it was.

“Ew!” I squealed, jumping off the couch. “Jake, that’s so gross. Ew!”

Jacob raised his eyebrows. “Yours isn’t any prettier, sweetheart.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “Nyeh!”

“Nuuh!” he replied, mimicking my face back at me.

“Nyeh!”

“Nuuh!”

“Nyeh, nyeh, nyeh,” I dragged out the last word, claiming my victory of Jacob. Before he
could reply with something even more smart-Alec-y, Billie shut us both up.

“Enough, children.” He said roughly. When I looked into his eyes, though, I saw a sparkle of amusement.

“Jacob,” he said, wheeling his chair closer to us. “You need to escort these ladies somewhere.”

Jake raised an eyebrow before glancing between my sister and me. “Sure. Do you need to go to the grocery store or something?”

“Jake,” Billy said. “They need to go to Sam Uley’s house.”

Jacob froze, his eyes narrowed and his jaw set. His lips formed a straight line and he glowered at his father.

“Why do they need to go see him?”

Billy rolled his eyes. “Just take them, Jacob. They have business with him.”

I could see Jacob about to put up a fight so I tapped into him.

Relax.

Jacob’s shoulders slouched slightly and his facial features relaxed considerably.

Just take them to Sam Uley’s house.

Jacob’s eyes winced and I could tell he was fighting me. I pushed a bit harder and I saw Quinn shaking her head lightly at my actions. Jacob gave a shove and I pushed him back.

Just take them to Uley! You don’t have to see him or talk to him, just take them there!

Jacob finally gave in and sighed. I tapped out of his head.

“Fine.” He muttered lowly. “Let’s go.”

We said our goodbyes to Billy before following Jacob out of the house. He walked over to his car and I lagged behind slightly, allowing Quinn to come up and talk to me.

“What the hell were you thinking, tapping into him like that?” she hissed in a low, hushed voice.

I just rolled my eyes. “He wasn’t going to come quietly, and we don’t need that kind of extra stress right now, Quinn.”

“That gives you no right to invade his mind like that, Raynier. Absolutely no right. I cannot believe you did that.”

“Quinn, stop making this such a big deal. I won’t do it again if it makes you feel better,” I said lightly, looking over at her with my eyebrows furrowed. She was never this dramatic about tapping before.

“Fine. Don’t do it again, ever.”

“I can’t promise I won’t do it again ever, but…”

“Whatever, Raynier, just don’t do it.”

I looked at her. “What’s wrong?”

She shook her head. “Nothing. Let’s just… go.”

I shrugged and hopped into the back of Jacob’s Rabbit. He grumbled something incoherent under his breath. Quinn got into the passenger seat.

To be completely and totally honest with you, I didn’t pay attention to which way Jacob drove and how he got to Sam’s house. I stared out the window the whole time, but I just couldn’t focus. Everything seemed fuzzy.

The car stopped and I flinched. We were here already?

“Thanks for the ride, Jacob. We appreciate it.” Quinn said, unbuckling her seatbelt. Jacob merely shrugged, not giving her a second glance. He glared at the small house sitting about sixty meters away. I sighed inwardly before taking off my seatbelt and going to Jacob’s window.

Quinn shut the door and was looking into the woods. I knocked on Jake’s window and he rolled it down—manually.

“Hey dude, thanks,” I said with a small smile. “We know you don’t really like Sam, but we have, er, unfinished business with him.” I told him, not wanting to give away too much information before he phased.

Jacob just shook his head. “No biggie. Whatever. Just tell him to call my dad when you guys want to be picked up.”

I nodded. “All right. We’ll let you know. See you, douche.” I grinned, trying to lighten the mood.

“If I’m a douche, you’re a bitch.”

“Bark,” I said with a smirk. I reached into the car and gave him a kiss on the cheek before slapping him upside the head. “Later, Jake.”

I saw him smile and shake his head before rolling his window up—manually (I’m not going to get over that)—and driving away.

“All right, sweetcheeks, let’s do this.” I said, linking my arm with my sister’s. She laughed at me before we started walking to the small cabin.

I felt a dropping feeling in my stomach and I stopped. We were in front of the porch and the steps that led to the front door.

“Quinn…” I whispered.

“What’s wrong?” she said intently.

I shook my head. “I don’t know. Something… I don’t know.”

Quinn sighed before pulling her arm out of our link and putting it around my shoulders.

“Shh. We can do this.”

I nodded. “Okay. Ready go.”

We walked, our steps in time, to the front door. We heard a burst of laughter before some guy scoff, “Please. I’ll never imprint. I’ll never be whipped like you two fools.”

I pursed my lips. This was going to be interesting. I heard a few muted thumps and slams before Quinn decided to break up whatever was going on and knock on the door. I was surprised the wolves inside haven’t heard us yet.

Some tall, tan, muscular man opened the door. He looked like every other guy here, except for his dark, cropped hair.

I raised my eyebrow. “Sam Uley residence, yes?” I asked him.

He furrowed his eyebrows. “Yeah, Sam lives here, but he went upstairs—”

“Can we come in?” I asked. I felt Quinn bump my hip with hers as a warning.

The guy looked confused. “Um, what business do you have with Sam?”

I sighed. “Can we come—?”

“Just let them in, Jared. Jeesh,” I heard a girl say.

Jared sighed before opening the door completely. “Um, welcome to Sam’s, I guess.” He stepped aside and allowed us into the tiny cabin.

I won’t go into much detail about the little house, except for the fact that it was very homey and warm. The overall atmosphere made me relax. I could smell something cooking in the oven and my stomach growled. Quinn sent me a raised eyebrow. I shrugged at her.

“Oh, hello,” a girl said, walking around a corner into the hallway we stepped into. She was wearing an apron and half of her hair was in a ponytail, the other half trailing down her back. She had gorgeous eyes and three scars along her face. I glanced at Quinn before smiling at the girl.

“My name’s Emily,” she said with shiny white teeth. “I’m Sam’s fiancé.”

I turned my head completely to look at Quinn. “We didn’t hear about cuz getting married.” I said slowly. “This is new.”

Emily’s eyebrows scrunched up. “‘Cuz’? You two are Sam’s cousins?”

Quinn nodded. “We didn’t grow up in La Push, but we were born here. I’m Quinn and this is my sister, Raynier.”

“Raynier. What a stupid name.”

I felt my blood boil as I turned around. “Who the hell are you to say my name is stupid?” I snapped. Quinn nudged me with her elbow.

“Don’t mind him,” Emily muttered.

The guy wolf-whistled (oh, irony) before I looked up into his deep brown eyes.

I flinched as I saw the images pass by my eyes. Image after image after image. The guy and I were having a picnic on the beach. Now, we were in a house together, smiling. A wedding? What the hell? I was too busy watching the flashes to notice he was staring at me, his jaw loose and his eyes wide.

“Fuckin’ a,” I declared, smirking at the boy. I put my hands on my hips. “You said you would never imprint, and look what you just did. Epic fail.”

“Raynier!” Quinn whined. I heard Emily’s tinkling laugh.

“Holy shit!” Jared walked into the hallway. “Shit, Paul, you owe me fifty bucks!”

“Jared,” Emily warned, “no cursing in my house.”

“Sorry, Em,” Jared said, not looking away from Paul. Jared laughed. “I can’t believe this. Wait until Sam finds out.”

A guy stepped into the already crowded hallway. I recognized his face right away from Jacob’s memory.

“I’ll find out what?” he asked. Authority poured out of his stance, the way he walked, even the way he talked.

“Sam!” I called out, a big grin on my lips.

The look on his face was priceless. He was so unbelievably confused and startled I burst out laughing.

“Hey Sam,” Quinn said. When we were younger, before we moved to Wyoming, Quinn and Sam were super close. I knew she was hoping he remembered her.

“No way,” he muttered. “No. Way.”

I smirked. “Yes. Way.” I was going to humiliate him. Big time. “Sammy Pie.”

Jared roared with laughter. “Sammy Pie? What?” he said between laughs. “Oh my god, this is absolutely hilarious.”

Paul growled and walked out of the hallway, bumping shoulders with Jared on his way out.

I shrugged. “Someone got up on the wrong side of the den.”

Jared’s laugh caught in his throat and he stared at me. “What?”

I smiled at Jared. “Hm? What? I didn’t say anything.”

Quinn interrupted us. “Sam, can we…?”

He nodded. “Jared, stay in here. Get Paul to cool off.”

Jared pursed his lips but complied with the command. He wandered off the way Paul went.
I tugged at the end of my shirt. “C’mon, Sammy, we’ve got a lot to catch up on.” I was still grinning; my cheeks hurt, bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a bit long, I know, but it came out two days earlier than it was supposed to(:

Thank you to everyone who comments(: It means a bunch to mee<3