Status: Hiatus... sorry guys. :/

Mythology

Partners In Crime. (Part 1)

“Shit!”

“Paul, language!” Emily rang from the other room.

“Sorry Em,” Paul called back. Then he looked at me. A softness entered his eyes and I looked away, to the ground and Jared’s plain gray shoes. “You two are shifters?”

I nodded. “Ye-up,” I smiled slightly, looking at my sister who had her arms crossed and her eyebrow raised.

“You’re Quileute?”

I rolled my eyes. “How else would we end up here, genius?”

Paul looked startled, like he’s never had a girl talk back to him. I gave him a small smirk before I heard Sam walk down the stairs.

“All right, Paul, Jared,” he said. He looked between us. “You’ve already met Quinn and her sister, Rayne. They’re shifters, like us. They’ll be working patrols along with everyone else, pulling their own weight.”

Patrols? What?

Raynier, shut up.

Sam never told us about this patrol thing. What the hell is that? This makes no sense, Quinn.

Raynier, shut up. Maybe if you actually ask him, he’ll tell you.

But Quinn, what the hell are—

Shut. Up. And ask him! It’s not like he’ll get mad at you for asking him a question, Raynier!

Fine, Jesus, whatever. I hate you.


“Rayne? Quinn?"

I glanced up at Sam. “What are patrols and why didn’t you mention them to us earlier?”

He furrowed his eyebrows. “I didn’t? Because there are vampires around, we run a patrol every once in a while to make sure they don’t cross the line or a new vamp comes to town.”

I nodded. “Oh. That makes sense.”

Jared snickered and I stuck my tongue out at him. We all crammed on the couch,
half-talking and half-watching TV, me sitting next to Paul and my sister, Jared on the other side of her. Paul’s arm somehow found its way to my waist, his hand resting on my hipbone. What I didn’t understand was why I let him put it there in the first place.

Quinn’s head snapped to the sliding glass door the same time mine did. We stared out the window, watching the trees. Dusk had fallen and things had gotten dark. What did I keep hearing, though? Something was out there.

“Quinn,” I whispered. The two boys had gone quiet, staring at us. She looked at me and we tapped.

Raynier, I don’t think I should—

Since when did other people stop you before? Go get ‘em, tiger.

She sighed. I don’t know. I think that maybe I should just let it go for right now. If it’s him, he’ll come back.

Go.


She rolled her eyes and got up with a rough sigh. She quickly walked to the door, slid it open, stepped outside, slid it closed and ran into the bushes.

“Where the hell is she—?”

“Drop it.” I said, staring after my sister’s darkening figure. If the boys opened the door or went outside, they would smell Conleth. They would freak, so I had to keep them inside. Oh shit! I had to call Jake!

I got up and was about to run to the phone when I realized Jared’s figure at the sliding door.

“Jared, don’t follow her,” I warned. With my sister not around to keep me rational, who knows which secrets of ours I would expose?

He looked at me, curiosity growing in his eyes. “Where did she go?”

I shrugged. “She went out. None of your business. Drop it.” Paul rolled his eyes before walking down the hall, most likely to the bathroom. I started on my way towards the phone. Emily was almost done cooking.

Jared’s hand touched the door, sliding it about an inch. I couldn’t help it; they weren’t going after my sister. To keep her secret a secret, I had to share one of mine.

JARED

Jared put his hand carefully on the door, hoping it wouldn’t make the loud rattling sound it always did when people opened it. He knew Raynier had strength. He just wanted to open the door and catch a breeze to see if he could smell any bloodsuckers. He was able to move the door about an inch before he was stopped.

“Jared, I told you, don’t follow her.”

Jared looked at the girl, his eyes wide. What just happened? She was across the room the last time he saw her. Now, she was directly in front of him, moving his hand off the door. Jared took a step back, unsure.

“How the hell did you just do that?” he whispered.

The brunette shrugged. “I have my ways, Jared. Don’t follow my sister. Don’t think about this event. Got it? I have to call Jake.”

Jared watched hesitantly as Rayne took a step around him and towards the kitchen. He heard her talking to Emily before she picked up the phone and dialed. Rayne started talking and Jared was left with his thoughts.

What the hell just happened?

---

RAYNIER

“You did what?!”

I sighed. “Please, Quinn. Don’t get mad at me because if they smelled Conleth, they would
have freaked.”

“I can’t believe you.” Quinn said, her eyes wide and her lips in a tight line.

“He was too stunned to register anything, I swear, Quinn,” I said, putting my hands up in a “don’t shoot me!” way. “At least I didn’t tap him.”

She almost snarled. “If you did, you’d be dead by now.”

I rolled my eyes. “Look, Quinn, I’m sorry and shit. Okay? But we both know—”

“Yeah, yeah, Conleth smells like a vamp and they can’t distinguish the smells like we can,”
she rattled off.

We were sitting in the middle of the woods, doing whatever. Last night, my sister went out to find Conleth and I had to stop Jared.

Helios found his way to my shoulder while Conleth, a gray fox, was curled up beside Quinn. I had my amazing little Helios; Quinn had her amazing little Conleth. They were our partners in crime, and we loved them half to death. Quinn had the same connection with Conleth as I had with Helios. It was hard to explain.

Remember when I said we were a different breed of shifters? We can sense a vampire, not just smell it. If there’s a vampire within a twenty-five mile radius, we would be able to tell.
However, we felt just a pinch in our stomachs from the Cullen family.

“Can you believe that Sam’s gonna make us go to school?” I said with a bored tone. “I don’t want to go to fucking school.”

Quinn snorted a laugh and ran a hand through Conleth’s fur. “I know. But we just have to deal with it. After all, they did take us in.” The wind blew gently and tangled my hair.

I rolled my eyes. “They should have taken us in for free. We’re family.”

I felt Quinn smack my arm. “Don’t say that. You take everything for granted, Raynier. One day it’ll come back and bite you in the butt.”

“Nyeh, nyeh,” I replied to her, leaning up against a large tree. I sprawled out and just sat there, listening to the bugs and small animals. “I don’t want to go to fucking school.” I whined again.

Quinn shook her head. “You don’t have a choice, Raynier. It’s required by law. Too bad, so sad.”

We sat there for a few more minutes, just listening and enjoying the company of our little companions. I was too tired to do anything. I didn’t want to go to school! Ew! My sister and I went to school in Wyoming. It wasn’t fun. Based off that judgment, I’m going to assume La Push high isn’t any better. Why? School? We didn’t need that shit. It’s not like we had the option of going to college, especially with what we are. Not to mention that we only have three thousand dollars. Which is actually more like two thousand five hundred.

A low howl echoed across the woods. I picked myself up in a flash and was running.

“Shit!” I screamed as my sister ran beside me. Her fox hopped over roots and leaves, keeping up with us. I could hear Helios’ cries from above me.

How come we couldn’t smell it?! We’re designed for this, Quinn!

I don’t know, Raynier! I don’t know. It could’ve been the… The wind! The wind was taking
our scent towards the vampire, not the other way around!


My stomach dropped as I realized what she was saying. How could we have been so careless, letting our scents travel down the woods without thinking about what could be sneaking up behind us?

And we thought the tingling in our stomachs was from the Cullens…

“Shit,” I muttered again. We kept running. The churning in my stomach grew as we ran closer to the vampire.

When we approached the small, seemingly empty field, the first thing we noticed was this:

1.) There were three wolves with their ears flattened and growling. And,

2.) There were also four vampires standing in front of us.

“Oh no,” I mouthed. The four vampires stood in the center of the field and I felt my anger rise.

I was near my boiling point. This happened whenever we were around vampires. Our anger would raise, which is our bodies’ natural reaction to the filthy leeches. It was the gene kicking in; it wanted us to phase and kick these vampires’ asses to Kingdom Come.

When my breathing started to become heavy, one of the vampires turned its pale head and looked towards the bushes we were in. I clamped my mouth shut and he shrugged before looking away.

Sam. I tapped. Sam. Hold off your wolves.

Stop! I heard him say to the wolves. Don’t… don’t do anything. Not yet.

I faintly heard Jared and Paul arguing with him, but I decided I needed to talk to him.

Sam! Remember the legends I told you about?

Sam’s face looked absolutely shocked as I communicated with him. I swear Quinn was going to rip my arm off but I ignored her.

What the hell--?!

Yes, it’s me. Don’t you dare think of my name. As Sam ignored my request, I blocked my name from Paul’s and Jared’s head, who could hear only Sam’s side of the conversation. Remember those legends? About us being even more amazing vampire hunters than your average shape-shifter?

Yeah, I remember. I remember your legends.

Well, Quinn and I are about to give you a demonstration of what real wolves are like... in human form.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my gosh!! Cliff-hangerr!! I know, I'm a horrible bitch(:
Soooo, let me know what you think! Let me know what you think might happen, who the vampires might be, etc, etc. There will be some major ass-kicking in the next chapter. :D

Oh, and I am requesting at least 3 comments before I update... please and thank you(: