Status: This is also on youtube under my account TheEricaAlice

Never Had a Dream Come True

P A R T . T H I R T Y F O U R

I walked down to the mailbox, my parents and sisters were still in the backyard with the rest of the family celebrating Carolyn's graduation. My allergies were acting up, so I had went inside to nap a bit, but when I woke up I saw the mail truck pulling up the rest of the street. I walked out the front door after grabbing my Chuck Taylor’s. I was still wearing my white sundress from earlier and opened the mail. I skimmed through it. Bill, bill, bill, catalog, crap, my magazine.

I went back inside and put everything on my mom's desk. I took SURFING to the couch and began flipping through. A post card came tumbling out. I picked it up, it had an antique map printed on it. Over California, New Jersey, England, France, and other places where I had significant memories there was a little red hearts. I turned it over to see someone had written: ‘Erica, please come to the Shed Theater.’ It was signed: ‘Forever your admirer.’
I went outside to the backyard and found my mom.

"Mom?" She looked up. All conversation stopped. My family members at the party were staring at me, some smiling, some whispering. My mom looked at the postcard in my hand. I awkwardly explained what it was, "Should I go?"

"Yes, you should. No, you can't bring your cousin or anyone else to be safe. You must go alone."

What surprised me more than the fact that my mom wanted me to potentially be in danger was the fact that no one else argued with her. So, I went back inside and grabbed my car keys. I left through the back again and felt everyone's eyes glued to me. What was going on?

I drove to the Shed Theater listening to the mixed CD that Zach had made me before I left two weeks ago. As I pulled up to the theater I saw the front door open. I parked and as I walked in I tucked my keys in my bag and straightened my dress. I was gearing up for battle.

Uneasily, I walked in and sat in the center of the first row, where there was a table with a little seating card with my name on it and a full, closed bottle of water. I opened the water and took a sip, to ease my nerves. The lights began to dim. I was halfway done with the water. I was ready to make a break for it. A screen came down on stage and three figures in black were sitting with their backs to me. I heard the projector jolt on and after the charming little old fashioned countdown, Walk In The Sun started playing in the background of a montage edited to look vintage. The montage was of video clips that the guys took of Zach and me as well as some of us individually when we were little.

When the video was done the first figure sprung up and held up a sign. It was Nathan, his sign read, "Will,” then Michael, "you," Cameron, "marry," and a figure that I didn't notice before ran from the side and jumped off stage. Soon Zach was on his knee saying, "Me?"
My eyes were soon filled with the half bottle of water I chugged. I blinked them back and nodded like crazy.

"Yes. A million times yes!"

He shot off the ground and picked me up off the seat. We twirled around until he placed me back down. He pulled out a box from his pocket and opened it. Inside was a beautiful ring. He took it out at slipped it on my finger.

"When I saw it I knew this was it. It's simple, I know you don't like gaudy. The jeweler told me that the designer of it intended for the little side diamonds to look like ocean bubbles, and I said to him, 'Well, then, that's even better. My sweet Erica loves the ocean!' And I bought it immediately."

I looked at him, "It's perfect."

He grinned and kissed me. The guys on stage cheered and ran down to hug us. Then Zach took my hand and we walked back to my car together. I let him drive us home so I could stare at my ring the whole five minutes back. The guys took the van back to my house.

We got back and walked to the backyard hand in hand. All my family was looking at us with smiling faces. I thought their grins would break as I lifted my left hand and wiggled my fingers. My parents came over to Zach and I to hugged us tight.

I pulled away, "Wait, how many people knew?"

"Almost everyone here," my mom said. "We're so happy for you two."

I think she actually meant it, too. I looked at Zach and he smiled, after a nod I knew that I should believe her. After all my family congratulated us Zach pulled me aside.

"Erica, I already booked the beach. If you had said no we could have just went there for alone time, but you didn't," he smiled, "so we'll get married. It's Ocean City, Maryland on the 21st of June, the first day of summer. Just like you’ve always wanted."

I was looking into his ocean blue eyes and smiled. I wrapped my arms around him and whispered, "I love you, so much."

"I know," he kissed my head. "I love you infinitely."

For once in my life I didn't worry about pleasing someone. I didn't worry about what was going to happen. I knew that everything was going to be okay with Zach there. He honestly was a dream come true, and I never had that feeling before. It was truly an amazing feeling. It really was.