Status: New :)

Don't Change For Anyone

Hey there, it's good to see you again. It never felt right calling this just friends.

“How’s that man hunt going for ya, Tali?” May shouted over the phone in an overly cheery tone. I held on phone a foot away from my ear and scrunched my eyebrows.

“Could you turn the volume and cheeriness down ten knobs?” I put my phone back to my ear and sat cross-legged on my bed.

“Sorry babe, I’m just in a great mood. Kenny slept over last night while my parents were our and-“

“Oh my god May stop, I don’t want to hear it. The thought makes me gag to be honest.”

“Fine fine, just tell me how the bet is going.”

I sighed and rested my phone to my shoulder, picking at the hole in my sock. “Well, Garrett hasn’t picked anyone yet, and it’s been like 4 days. I’m kind of worried though.”

“You should be.”

“Seriously, you’re not helping at all.”

May giggled and from the sounds following, she adjusted on her bed. “Garrett seemed like he really wanted to piss you off and he can be pretty brutal. I’m wishing you luck, hope he doesn’t pick an uggo.”

“That would suck, but it would be very easy to make him fall in love with me.”

“But the whole point of this bet is for you to fall in love, not the other guy.”

“Oh my god, May, what if I have to fall in love with someone just disgusting?”

“Let’s just hope that doesn’t happen and not jinx it!”

“You’re right, let’s talk about something else.” I took in a deep breath and prepared for the worst. “How was your uh, sleepover with Kenny?”

_ _ _

“-And then it kind of went downhill after my parents came home early, but it was still SO much f-“

BEEPBEEP BEEPBEEP BEEPBEEP

Oh my god, thankyou thankyou thankyou!

“May, I have another call, love you bye!” I pressed a button and switched calls before I could hear any of May’s protests and sighed.

“Thank you, so so so much. You just saved me, no joke.”

“Bad hook-up?” My breath got caught in my throat and I almost dropped the phone. I was so close to going back to May’s call and ‘listening’ to her story.

“What do you want, Garrett?”

“I’m just calling to tell you that I found the perfect guy and I’m pretty sure you’ll be surprised. So get ready, he goes to our school and you’ll be seeing him tomorrow.”

“You’d be surprised what I’d expect from you. How’d you get my number anyways?”

“John gave it to me.”

“How does John know my number?”

“He asked May for it when you left rehearsal a few days ago.”

“He did?”

“Didn’t I just say he did? Pay attention.”

“Shut up, I’m hanging u-“ I heard the line click and the dial tones afterwards. I scoffed at my phone and set it on my bed, putt my head in my hands in frustration. I had no idea who Garrett was picking, but I had a really bad feeling about it.

_ _ _

The next morning, I pulled up in May’s driveway and yawned, waiting for her to get in the passenger seat. She got in and threw her bag on the floor and buckled her seatbelt.

“One, thanks for hanging up on me yesterday you bitch. Two, why don’t you lock your doors?”

“One, I had another call and didn’t care much about your story. Two, why lock your doors when you drive? Is some crazy child rapist or axe murderer gonna chase after your car, open your door, and get in said vehicle while in motion?”

“You never know, things like that could happen.”

“Right, because Tempe is just crawling with rapists and murderers.”

“Better watch out for John, he might try to rape you.”

“Uh, right, okay.”

“KENNEDY!” I was just pulling into the student parking lot when May spotted Kennedy on the other side. She opened the door and jumped out, slamming to the door and running into Kennedy’s arms. I pulled into a spot and grabbed both our bags, walking over to the happy couple.

“You just jumped out of a moving car you dumbass.”

“That’s why you lock your doors.” She grabbed her bag and stuck her tongue out at me, which I mirrored.

“You’re such a bitch, May.”

“You’re such a cockweasel, Talia.”

“Cockweasel? What the hell is a cockweasel?”

“You, obviously.” She smiled and poked my stomach, earning a high-pitched squeak from me.

“MAY! Don’t do that you poopsicle!”

“You’re clever.” I heard his sarcastic voice from behind me and I sighed, rolling my eyes.

“GARRETT! Who’s the guy?! I want to see your choice for Talia!” May ran up to Garrett and hugged the life out of him, practically screaming questions in his ear.

“Calm down May, he’ll be here soon.”

“Yeah, Gare, who is this dude?” Kennedy spoke up from the back.

“An old friend. He used to go here, and he went to middle school with us, but he left for a while and he’s coming back again today.”

“That could be anybody, pretty much half the school left after ninth grade.”

“It’s one reason why I picked him, May.” His phone vibrated in his pocket and he took it out, smirking at the text he just got.

“Speaking of, he’s here.”

John, Pat, and Jared joined our group right as Garrett said ‘he’ was here. They all looked in the direction Garrett was waving to and all smiled except for John.

“Oh my god…” May and I said in unison. Walking straight towards us was one of the most gorgeous boys I had ever seen. He had sandy brown hair that swooped right above his eyebrows and was a bit wavy. He was tall, at least 5’10 or 5’11, and his eyes were a piercing green color. He and John were a bit similar except that John’s hair was longer and darker. In fact, he looked a bit familiar…

“Matt! Great to see you man!”

Matt… why does that sounds so familiar?

“Matt, you remember Talia, right?” Garrett smiled and pointed to me.

“How could I forget a girl like Talia?”

“Mr. Andrews, it’s good to have you back.” The principal walked by and nodded his head towards- wait.

Matthew Andrews?!

I looked up at Matt and my eyes went wide with happiness, fear, and sadness. He looked me straight in the eye and smiled.

“It’s okay Talia, I’ve changed, and so have you,” he whispered. No one was really paying attention except for John and Garrett. Garrett just smirked and John had this look on his face that I couldn’t really decipher.

“Okay, let’s stop with this ‘Let’s stare at Talia until she explodes of multiple emotions’ contest. C’mon Tali.” May grabbed my hand and pulled me into school, leaving everyone else behind. I stole a glance behind me and saw Matt looking at me, which made me blush. Not many guys could make me blush.

“You’re blushing and ohmygodMattissofuckinghot!”

“He’s gorgeous. But, I don’t know about this. What about everything that happened in 9th grade?”

“It’s in the past. Besides, I don’t think he cares anymore by the way he was looking at you like he wanted to jump you right then and there.”

“But wouldn’t that put us back in the position we were in 2 years ago?”

“I guess so. Just start by actually making him yours before someone else does. Then focus on being a girlfriend and not a fuckbuddy.” May put her hand on my shoulder and gave it a little squeeze before heading off to homeroom.

Of course Garrett’s choice would be perfectly imperfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eek! Sorry the wait was so long.
School's a bitch, ain't it?
Anyways, I'll try to get the next chapter out asap!

Follow me on tumblr: amerrickansweetheart.tumblr.com

Comment & subscribe! Love you all :)