I Love Your Switchblade Attitude

s e v e n .

Harley sat on the leather recliner, searching through the television channels in a desperate attempt to find something to watch.

Because the evening was nearing, many of the channels had been occupied by news reports or comedy shows. Colie had taken the car earlier that day in order to pick up her costume for Lisa’s costume party later that day, and had not returned.

Stranded in the house, Harley had spent her day watching reruns of old television shows and watching celebrity entertainment programs.

It was only when the seven o’ clock news had started that Colie had barged into the house, with some sort of white blanket draped across her shoulder. Harley did not bother to acknowledge the fact that her friend had returned, and instead kept her gaze trained on the television.

“Harley?” Colie called out, her voice clouded with confusion as she came to a halt in front of the brown-haired woman.

“What?” Harley changed the channel to a documentary about dinosaurs.

“What is that?!”

The that that Colie was referring to was Harley’s costume, which she had assembled in a total of five minutes earlier that day. It consisted of a long black dress and a glittered hot pink feathered boa, something that Harley had found in the back of her closet from her childhood days. Even she agreed it was pathetic, but definitely would not admit it aloud, especially to someone as critical as Colie.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Nicole.” Harley smirked, and heard Colie scoff in annoyance.

She shifted her gaze to the blonde, who was resting the white object on the sofa. Upon closer inspection, the white object turned out to be a garment bag, or rather, two.

“Oh god.” Harley sighed, knowing exactly what was under the white cloth.

“You are so lucky you have a friend like me, who goes out and buys you a costume, you poor unfortunate soul.” She grinned, before unzipping the bag.

In front of Harley sat a costume—or rather a piece of cloth, that was covered in lace. Upon closer inspection, Harley realized that it was some sort of dark dress, with rhinestones decorating the hem and puffy black sleeves.

“What is that?” Harley asked, attempting to keep the incredulous tone out of her voice.

“It’s a vampire costume.”

“A what?”

“A vampire costume.” Harley stared at Colie in complete and utter mortification, wondering if her choice could be any worse. Not only did she not resemble a vampire, it was the shortest piece of clothing she had seen in a long time.

“Just get dressed,” Colie laughed, shoving the garment bag towards Harley, “Trust me. The whole reason of having a costume party is to be able to dress like a slut and get away with it.”

Harley opened her mouth to respond, but realized it wasn’t worth it. Hopefully, her night would actually go according to plan.

_________________

“Ohmigosh, I love your costume!”

A short brunette with blonde highlights met Harley at the front door of the Gaskarth/Dawson household, pulling her inside as though they were old friends, where a virtual mass of drunken adults were churning like an ocean. Loud hip-hop music blasted from a stereo somewhere, barely covering the roar of conversations and laughter.

“Um...thanks?” Harley blushed sheepishly, tugging at the hem of her dress, which barely skimmed her ass.

The girl’s chocolate eyes widened, and she smacked her forehead lightly, and then winced. Harley opened her mouth in surprise, but closed it again as the girl began to speak.

“I’m so stupid! Where are my manners?!” She giggled to herself, and it was clear that she spoke many of her sentences in exclamation. “I’m Cassadee Pope. Rian’s girlfriend. You’re Harley Dawson, right?” Harley barely had time to nod before Cassadee was talking once again. “See, you looked like Rian’s younger sister, and I’ve seen pictures of you...and I wanted you to feel welcome when you arrived so I hope I didn’t scare you or anything!”

She giggled to herself while she steadied her body against a bookshelf, and tugged at the back of her tights. She was dressed stylishly in a female cop costume; complete with knee high boots and a toy gun in her back pocket. And she was already tipsy, from what Harley could tell.

“It’s really packed in here,” Harley observed, feeling uncomfortable as she was separated from Colie, who had been abandoned at the door.

Colie had dressed as a 70’s go-go girl, wearing an equally short, but much brighter, dress and spotless white boots.

The girls had planned to arrive at the party and find Max in order to show Lisa that Harley was telling the truth, but he was nowhere to be found.

“Well, Lisa and Alex love to party!” Cassadee grinned, before nodding her head swiftly to the music. Cassadee reached out and put her hands on Harley’s shoulders, pushing her into the mass of costumed strangers. “Booze in the kitchen!” she slurred, melting into the crowd herself.

Harley stood there for a moment, searching for Max but failing, being jostled and feeling totally out of place. After a second elbow to the side, Harley forced herself through the partygoers and found the kitchen.

A blonde dressed as Tinkerbell handed her a can of beer. Harley opened it and chugged it, already feeling the need to consume alcohol. The blonde managed to chug hers as well, before laughing and throwing the empty can in the sink, while following a much older looking man to the living room.

Feeling awkward, Harley grabbed another beer can and began sipping absentmindedly, looking at the magnets that scattered the fridge. One magnet, a red one of a pin-up girl, held the supposed grocery list.

Bud light
Pizza
Ketchup
Sprite
Red Bull
Dog food
Wine (not the shitty kind!)


Scoffing, Harley pulled her attention away from the messy scrawl on the paper in front of her as a shout was heard from further inside the house.

“YOU ARE NOT WELCOME IN MY HOUSE, FUCKER!”

“What the hell man?!” A duo of familiar voices shouted, and fearing the worst, Harley began to move towards the noise, which seemed to be coming from the living room.

A murmur rose throughout the house, some dancers oblivious to the commotion while others attempted to tear away from the music to investigate. As Harley pushed her way through the crowd, she found a circle of bystanders crowding around the front door in complete silence.

A lump the size of a small country formed in her throat as she neared the scene, feeling the tension thicken like a fog around the mysterious group of people. As she elbowed her way to the front of the crowd, she recognized her brother, along with Alex and Jack staring at someone who had entered the door.

Two things immediately registered in Harley’s brain, causing her to freeze in her spot out of fear. The first was that all the boys had angry expressions etched onto their faces. This included Jack. And Harley had never seen Jack angry. Ever.

The second thing that she realized was that they were obviously angry with someone. Someone who had entered their house. Someone with black curls and eyes the colour of limes. Someone who just happened to look exactly like Max Porter.

Max spotted Harley before the others did. “Harley!”

He looked relieved, and beckoned her to approach him. She cautiously took a step forward, feeling her body tense as the others noticed her. Max was dressed classily as a mob leader, with a pin striped suit, hat and cane.

“Hi Max,” She mumbled meekly, confused at the glare Jack was giving to the raven haired boy next to her.

“You know him?” Rian narrowed his eyes at the couple, crossing his broad arms over his chest in frustration and bewilderment.

“Yeah,” She paused, contemplating the fact that the words she were about to speak would cause her another isolation from the boys if they didn’t like it. “He’s my boyfriend. Max.”

“Of course!” Rian threw his arms up in frustration, looking back and forth between the two. “Of all the fucking Max’s in Maryland, you just have to be dating Maximilian Porter.”

“So? How do you know him and what did he do to you?”

“He made my life a living hell in high school! All of our lives, actually!” Rian shouted, pointing an accusatory finger at Harley’s boyfriend.

“Is that true?” Harley gasped, spinning to look at Max.

“That was one time, man. I didn’t really!”

“You dumped Jack in a fucking trash can.” Alex piped up, his dark eyebrows furrowing as he scoffed.

He was dressed as a lumberjack, reusing one of his plaid shirts instead of attempting to buy a costume. Even something that simple looked amazing on him. Not that Harley would admit that to him.

“I didn’t mean it...” Max frowned, and he looked genuinely sorry.

Harley felt torn.

On one hand, her brother and his friends were important to her. Jack was her friend, and if Max had done that to him...that wouldn’t be okay in her book.

On the other hand, it wasn’t like she could dump Max yet. He was cute, Harley needed to move on, and he was intelligent. A rare combination of positive qualities. He treated her nice, and she still hadn’t proved to Lisa that she was dating someone.

“Guys,” Harley sighed, looking back and forth between her brother and his friends, and her fake boyfriend. “Can we just leave the past behind us? We’re here to fucking party!”

“No, this f—!”

“If I can dump him in a trash can then I will totally be fine wi—”

“So this is your boyfriend?” All exclamations were cut off by Lisa appearing smoothly at Alex’s side. Her narrow eyes assessed Harley’s outfit, before lighting up as they reached the boy next to her.

She smiled flirtatiously, tugging down her shirt ever so slightly. It was then that Harley realized what exactly Lisa was wearing. It took all the strength inside of her not to burst into laughter, and she squirmed uncomfortably in her spot as she eyed Lisa’s outfit.

Lisa decided to pick the perfect costume for her personality and decided to dress up—as a Hooter’s waitress. Unbelievably, she had managed to obtain the tiny orange shorts, the thin white tank top with the Hooters logo printed on the chest, and had traded the signature white tennis shoes for the classier option of white high heels.

Alex seemed to enjoy her costume though, as he pulled her close to him and not so subtly looked down her shirt. Harley rolled her eyes, the previous argument totally forgotten.

“Yes,” Harley said slowly, eying Colie who appeared next to Rian. Colie mouthed the word slut while pointing to Lisa, causing Harley to chuckle. Averting her gaze back to Lisa, she smiled. “This is Max. My, uh, boyfriend.”

“I don’t believe it. He’s too good looking.”

“Thanks.” Max smiled.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Harley crossed her arms over her chest in protest, but uncrossed them upon realizing that they accentuated her chest area, which was scantily covered.

“It means he's too good for you.”

“Bitch, I will fucking cut you, you fu—” Colie yelped, as she was pulled back by Rian, who managed to calm her down.

“Be quiet Lisa.” Rian sent her a glare, before looking back at Colie. “Relax, Nicole.”

“Fine.” Colie jeered, glaring at Lisa from afar.

“Kiss him.” Lisa stated smugly, looking back and forth between the two. “If you are so in love or whatever you claim to be.”

“Um...uh, w-what?” Harley stammered. Lisa stared at her expectantly, not repeating herself. Harley wasn't ready for that kind of commitment, and she didn't think Lisa would go that far to...

Before Harley could respond, Max had spun her towards him and planted his lips on hers. Unlike Alex, whose kiss was rough and passionate, Max was the complete opposite, gentle and boring.

Even with his lack of fervour, there was no doubt that Maximilian Porter was a good kisser. He cupped her face with his hands, his hands getting lost in her hair as her arms snaked around his waist, the two melted together. It was only a couple seconds later that Harley remembered they were in a public place, where at least twenty other people, including her brother, were watching them.

Breaking away and coughing awkwardly, Harley took a step back, feeling a familiar blush cover her cheeks.

“He’s my boyfriend,” Harley stated, taking a sudden interest in the carpet as her voice faltered.

“I see that.” Harley looked up to meet the eyes of a stunned Lisa, who was gaping at the two with an open mouth.

She seemed unsure about what to say next, and instead kept quiet. Similar expressions were worn by Alex and Rian, though Jack still looked upset and slightly disgusted. Harley’s heart sank.

“I still don’t approve.” Jack muttered, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly, before spinning on his heel and walking to the kitchen to get another beer.

An awkward silence filled the air as the music continued playing in the background, the crowd dispersing back to their previous activities. Lisa, Colie, Harley, Max, Rian and Alex remained standing awkwardly in a circle.

“I’m, uh, going to go find Cassadee.”

“I’ll come!” Colie suggested, attaching herself a little too closely to Rian’s side as he sent her an odd look, before they disappeared into the sea of gyrating bodies. Max and Harley exchanged looks.

“I’m going to go get a drink.” Alex muttered, and Lisa agreed, before melting into the crowd as well. This left Max and Harley.

“I’m going to get a drink as well.” Harley gulped, feeling her nerves surface once again.

Her head pounded lightly and her hands felt warm, as the bodies began moving around her once again. Max nodded, before suggesting that he stay where he was. Feeling utterly alone and out of place as usual, Harley headed towards the kitchen, hoping that she could drink her problems away once again.

____________________

“Where’s your girlfriend?”

Alex looked up from his seat on the wicker bench, next to a guy who was propped up against a post snoring. He had come out from the party a few minutes ago, exhausted by the vibrations that shook his body, the conversations that stung his ears and the smell of cigarettes, sweat and vomit that permeated the air around him.

Peeking out of the small sliding glass door was a fatigued Harley, who was making her way out of the party and towards him.

“I don’t know,” Alex’s gaze fell on the decaying grass that decorated the sprawling lawn in front of him, realizing that he had not seen his girlfriend since the beginning of the night, when Lisa had ‘shown him her costume’ in his bedroom. “Where’s your boyfriend?”

Harley plunked down next to Alex, elbowing the sleeping figure awake. He shot her an annoyed look, and through his sleepy haze managed to stare at her chest for a few minutes, before standing up and disappearing into the party.

A roar of laughter was heard as Harley contemplated this answer, staring off into the distance with glazed eyes and a small smile decorating her face.

”I don’t know,” She nodded to herself, and Alex wondered what she was thinking about. She was close enough that her breath tickled his face, and he could make out the distinctive stench of alcohol. "You know, you're girlfriend is really dressed as a slut."

He tried to hide the look of surprise that flashed across his face."Your boyfriend is really dressed as a pimp."

"Touche." She giggled, resting her head against the bench. “What are you doing out here?”

“Just thinking,” he sighed, moving over slightly so that Harley would be able to fit on the small bench. Thinking about it, the bench barely had enough room to fit someone of a medium size comfortably, let alone two.

Alex squirmed in his seat, feeling the thick wicker material poke into his thighs. The air was silent for once and Alex sent a sidelong glance at Harley, who was busy running her fingers along the wicker and examining it carefully.

Alex took this opportunity to look at Harley, taking in her dark costume and short dress, the way her mahogany hair rested messily but still perfectly atop her head, how her bow-shaped lips curled upwards in a lazy grin, and how her chocolate eyes seemed to be lost and far away.

There was something in her appearance, her attitude or even the fact that she was untouchable that made him become lightheaded, and filled with a sense of odd desire. He looked at Harley and realized she was close to him.

She was right there, and there was nothing in the world that he wanted more at this moment than her lips against his. So even though every single cowbell in his head was ringing out the alarm, he moved closer towards her, hoping that she would notice. Goosebumps appeared on her exposed arms, and she shifted away from him slightly, turning to meet his darkened eyes.

“Whatcha looking at, Gaskarth?” She smiled lightly at him, slurring her words together and exposing a set of pearly white teeth.

He mentally groaned at himself, wondering why he was still with Lisa in the first place, and why he had not taken the opportunity while he had it last summer. Harley was perfect, so why had he been so...cruel?

Because he still loved Lisa.

Because he couldn’t have both girls and live peacefully.

Because life hated him.

Sighing, he returned his gaze to her face, focusing on her lips once more. It took every strand of will power inside of him to not lean forward and swoop Harley up in his arms, and he felt angered and frustrated by his mixed feelings.

He had just managed to become friends with her again! Did he really want to mess it up already? Friends did not kiss. Ever.

Instead, he listened as Harley began to ramble incomprehensively about the party, and it was only then that Alex realized how drunk she actually was. Unlike at her birthday party the year before, Harley seemed not so smashed that she looked for attention, but rather so smashed that exhaustion took over.

Her eyes were diluted and her words were scattered, her attention focusing in and out of the conversation as the night went on.

“I’m really fucking exhausted,” she moaned, bending down and resting her head in her hands. Her dress slipped, revealing a dot of lacy undergarment, before she was back in an upright position. Alex internally groaned, but plastered a smile on his face.

She was a fucking tease.

As the night wore on, Alex continued to talk with Harley. They talked about random things, such as the stars, music, even what colour Jack’s penis was in the daylight, but Alex found himself enjoying her company. Her drunken laughs pierced the air spontaneously, and Alex realized that he was actually happy where he was.

It was only when Harley’s face began to pale and her lips began to turn downwards that Alex noticed something was wrong.

“Are you okay?” He questioned, poking her side jokingly. She wobbled in her seat, before nodding her head slowly.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Her words had become a jumbled mess that was hard to decipher. Alex was unconvinced, but let it pass. Less than five minutes later, Harley seemed to be focusing intently on the grass.

“Alex?”

“Yeah?” He looked up at her, and realized truly that something was wrong.

“I think I...” She touched her mouth, before letting it go quickly. “I think I’m gonna—”

Her words were interrupted as she bent over, vomiting all over the grass, as well as on part of Alex’s shoe. Alex watched disgusted and sympathetic, awkwardly reaching for her hair as she continued to hurl, her breaths become gasps as she came to a stop.

Alex looked down at his shoes, expensive Nikes he had bought when he had saved up for months, two years ago. He sighed, knowing that there was no way he could be mad at the girl in front of him, and waited as she composed herself, rubbing small circles on her back.

“Alex,” she mumbled in her disarray, pulling her hair back and backing away from him with an apologetic look on her face. Her face was flushed and her hair stuck to her forehead, but she still looked like perfection. “I...I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean...”

She looked down at the substance tinted shoes, feeling utterly disgusted with herself. Alex’s face relaxed, and he shook his head.

“It’s fine.” He smiled reassuringly at her, kicking of the shoes in an attempt to show that he didn’t care.

“If you’re sure.” She closed her eyes, before opening them slowly. “Alex?”

“Huh?” He mumbled in a preoccupied fashion, still staring at his destroyed sneakers.

“I’m tired.” She muttered, curling up to his side.

“You want me to take you upstairs?” Harley nodded slowly in response, and Alex stood up, lifting her in his arms gracelessly.

In the most awkward fashion, a shoeless Alex Gaskarth attempted to carry an extremely drunken Harley Dawson up a flight of stairs. Alex received many odd looks from bystanders, but nobody chose to say anything, other than a few wolf whistles and drunken cheers.

Alex slowly stumbled up the stairs, with Harley falling asleep in his arms. She was squinting against the dim light as Alex attempted to open Rian’s bedroom door, figuring that Harley would be able to sleep there.

“It’s occupied!” A muffled female voice shouted, and Alex felt a twinge of confusion, as he seemed to recognise the voice. Ignoring it, he moved to his own bedroom, which was thankfully empty.

Clumsily placing Harley on the soft bed, Alex began throwing the extra pillows on the floor to use as a makeshift bed. It was somewhere in the early hours of the morning, and Alex knew that he needed sleep, even if he was being a bad host. Pulling off his pants and taking off his shirt, he was left in his navy blue boxers and an undershirt, and walked towards his new bed. Harley watched him with partially closed eyes, a small smile on her face.

“You shouldn’t have to sleep on the floor.” She mumbled in the silence, the only sound other than her melodic voice, the ticking of a clock on the nightstand.

In the back of his mind, Alex realized that Lisa would have to come into the room at some point, but chose to ignore this and enjoy the moment he was experiencing. Alex smiled to himself in the darkness, glad the bedroom was illuminated by the moonlight so he could see Harley’s figure in the dark.

“It’s okay,” he laughed back, noticing her apologetic expression. She yawned, before snuggling into the sheets.

“I’m sorry about your shoes.”

“It’s okay.” He repeated.

“I miss you.” Alex paused, not sure how to respond to this statement.

His heart swelled with joy and an emotion that even he was not sure about, as the words echoed in his mind over and over again. Harley missed him. She wanted to be with him again. No, she had Max. That kiss earlier on proved that much.

Harley wanted him to be a friend. She missed him as a friend an wanted to depend on him to provide comfort and support. And if that’s what she wanted, that’s what she would get. Alex would become he best fucking friend that ever existed if he had to, if Harley wanted him to.

There was still a chance that Alex could end up with Harley. There was also a chance that they could just be friends. If Alex could keep his feelings in check, everything would be fine. Opening his mouth, Alex began to respond, but Harley was not awake to hear him.

“I miss you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A little bit in Alex's POV!
this is a little long, and i'm glad the way it turned out.
comments and feedback make me excited!
i really like how alex is sweet and whatever towards her, and how he's realizing his feelings :')
aww. now Jack's mad at Harley! :/
all of you who read this are awesome, and I would love to hear what you think!
some Colie drama in the next chapter :D
Who is your favourite character so far and why?
enjoy!