Sequel: Falling Out of Line
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel!

Opposites Attract

Sixteen

I can't believe I'm doing this! Why did I agree to ask out my brother's teacher? I know nothing about this guy. I mean sure, I know he's pretty damn hot: chiseled features, smooth voice, muscles showing underneath his jacket. I gotta say, I approve.

The only problem is that Sean wants me to get to know him, and good looks will only go as far as the bedroom. But Sean doesn't want me to sleep with him, he wants me to be friendly. I CAN'T DO ONE OR THE OTHER, I CAN ONLY DO BOTH! UGH!

This is just ridiculous.

Honestly, I can't remember a time where I was 'just friends' with somebody. I never really had friends once I hit puberty. I spent so much time trying to get girls that my guy friends and I kinda split up. And then when I realized I liked guys too, well let's just say the closest I got to being friends was "friends with benefits". I think I have actually forgotten how to be friends with somebody.

Which is why Sean is giving me the rules that I must obey: "Don't go overboard with the flirting, don't say anything suggestive, no physical contact below the waist and all contact can't last more than four seconds, don't touch his leg and don't you dare play footsie, and I swear if he comes to class wearing the same clothes he had on yesterday, I'll kick your ass!"

Cory rolled his eyes. I have a feeling that Cory doesn't like me much. I don't really blame him - I was always getting him and Sean in trouble. And admittedly, I'm probably not the 'best' role model, but I that was the last thing on my mind as a kid. I've been all about having fun, because I never really had to work hard for anything. Things like good grades and sports skills just came naturally to me, and so did being 'overly-friendly'. Let's just face it - I've got a party animal attitude, and that is never gonna change.

Cory decided to add his two cents: "Just try to have an actual conversation with him, and try not be be such a man-whore. Don't make him think this is a date or you might make him nervous."

"Yeah, this is a NON-date! Got it, Dallan?" Sean pointed his finger at me. I rolled my eyes and waved it away. They were treating me like a little kid. Okay, so maybe I act like one sometimes, but I'm pretty sure I can talk to a guy without trying to get him to come home with me...

Right?

Yeah, probably not. But I'll give this whole 'friends only' thing a shot. I'll try anything once.

***

So, Sean and I, or really just Sean, came up with a plan for me to get acquainted with Mr. Sinclair. Or... I think Keith was his name... yeah Keith.

I was supposed to pick Sean up after school, waiting in the parking lot until he came outside. Somehow, he was gonna drag his teacher outside and then we would just so happen to see each other. I'd say hi to Sean, then I'd recognize Keith and thank him for taking such good care of Sean, and then somehow segue into me inviting him out to coffee. Well, here's how it went:

"Hey, Sean. What's up?"
"Nothing much. You remember Mr. Sinclair, right?" Sean shoved him forward.
"Oh right! Hey, thanks for helping out my little brother. When I left home, I mean I knew our dad was a jerk, but I had no idea... if I had known he would've been like this to Sean, I never would have left him behind." I bit my lip, feeling the guilt that hit me every day now. "But, um... well, I really do want to thank you, if only I knew how-"
"Oh, no that's okay. I'm happy to help. Sean and I have been helping each other out for a while, and I guess you could even say we've become friends now. It's no problem, really-"
"Ah ah ah. Stop it. Any friend of Sean's is a friend of mine, and I'd love to get to know my new friend. How about we go for coffee later? I will not take no for an answer." I grinned.
"Um... no that's-that's alright. I mean, I've got a ton of papers to grade..."
"Oh, you don't need to grade them now, do you? As long as you put in their grades before report cards go out, I'm sure the kids won't mind. I'm not taking any excuses, Keith. If you say no to coffee, then I'm gonna keep bugging you until you say yes: we could go out to dinner, breakfast, brunch - whatever. I won't give up, Keith."
"He's right, 'Keith'. My brother always gets what he wants." Sean smirked.
"I, uh... well... Sure, why not? It's not like I want to rush home and start grading papers."
"Great! So, how about we meet up at the Rosette Cafe in about... half an hour, after I drop Sean off?"
"Sure, see you then."

After that, I took Sean to Cory's house (I'm still apartment hunting for the both of us. I've been staying at a friend's house.) I had to have a pop quiz on all the rules they told me, and I passed. I'm not saying I'll obey all of those rules, but at least I remembered them. ;)

When I showed up at the Rosette Cafe, I spotted Keith sitting at a table against the wall. As I got closer, I smirked at how adorable he looked: he ditched his black suit jacket from earlier and was wearing a light blue button-up shirt, jeans, and black converse. It even looked like he just shaved. He ran a hand through his hair before looking up and spotting me. We smiled at each other.

"Did you order already?" I asked.
"No. Want to go order now?"
I nodded and we walked up to the counter. I inwardly laugh as the waitress at the counter flirted with both of us. I noticed she wrote her number on our receipt. We walked back to the table and waited for our drinks.
"Did you notice the waitress flirting with us? It's pretty funny, she's hitting on a gay guy and a half-gay guy."
"Yeah, wait half-gay?"
"Oh, I'm bisexual."
"Oh... do you date girls often? I hope I'm not being nosy or anything."
"No, it's fine. I don't really lean towards any gender, but I have found myself hooking up- I mean dating more guys than girls. But I think that's just because the girls I like turn out to be underage." I mentally smacked my forehead. Well, I'm pretty sure I broke the rule about not talking about your exes. Could I have said anything worse?! Next time I put my foot in my mouth, I hope it gets stuck there so I can't say anything else stupid.
He chuckled to himself, as if remembering something. "Alright then, I guess that's good to know. Anything else I should know about you?"
"Yeah, I'm usually much better at smooth-talking."
He laughed and I smiled, feeling slightly better about my mess-up.
"Is it mean to say that I'm glad you embarrassed yourself?"
"A little... why?"
"Because now I don't feel as nervous."
I smiled just as the waitress brought over our drinks.

***

"Okay, how did it go?"
"Did you mess up? Tell me you didn't say anything stupid."
"He's not gonna get mad at me for setting you up with him are you?"
"I swear, if you violated him in any way..."

I sighed as Sean and Cory shouted questions at me as soon as I came through the door.

"It went fine, I did say something stupid but he didn't care, he won't be mad at you, and I kept my hands to myself."
"It wasn't your hands I was worried about, but alright. So, what did you guys talk about?" Sean gave me a look.
"None of your business."
"Oh come on, you've got to tell us how the date went!" Cory chirped.
"It was not a date, remember? And like I said, it went fine. We're going on another not-date on Thursday. The cafe is having an open-mic night and one of his favorite undiscovered artists is playing, so I decided I'd join him."
"Uh huh, and how is this not a date?" Sean smirked.
"Because there will be no flirting, I'll only pay for my own food, and we'll only be meeting up as friends. He'll drive there on his own just like I will, and at the end we'll both go home."
"Yeah, we'll see about that." Cory said before heading upstairs.

"Whatever, pipsqueak. Speaking of not dating, weren't you and Cory supposed to have gone on a date by now?"
Sean rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but we can't agree on where to go. Cory wants to go on a picnic even though it's like the middle of winter, and I just want to go to a restaurant that isn't ridiculously fancy."
"So, then just have dinner at home." I said, falling back on the couch.
Sean raised an eyebrow. "Wasn't the point of this date to get out of the house?"
"So don't do it at Cory's house, do it at a friend's house, like my buddy Socko, or maybe at Zephrinity's. I bet Keith would even let you have it at his house."
Sean thought, then smiled. "That's actually not a bad idea."
"I didn't get through school having bad ideas."
"No, but you lived the rest of your life with them."
"Ha ha ha, not funny. You'd think you would be a little more grateful since I just helped you. You know, I shouldn't be helping you, because now you can get your boyfriend alone. Never leave a McLean alone with anyone or anything."
He laughed. "That may apply to you, but Cory and I haven't done anything yet, and I doubt we will. He's really shy, and I'm not gonna push him. Besides, it's not like I'm a freak like you are. I'm still a virgin."
"Yep, I remember when I was a virgin-"
"No you don't! I bet you came out the womb flirting with the female nurses."
"Not true. I flirted with the doctors and the nurses. Even as a little babe with no teeth, my smile was still dazzling."

"Could you be anymore full of yourself, Dallan?" Cory said as he came back downstairs with his phone between his ear and shoulder. "Yeah, he's here. Okay. Dallan, Zephy says hi."
"Hey, Zeph."
"She also says... what?! I'm not saying that! No- ew! God, okay Dallan do you want to just talk to her?" He handed me the phone.
I chuckled and took it from him. "Listen, Zephrinity, I have to say that I'm flattered, but as your friends have pointed out to me, I'm too old for you. And besides, don't you have a boyfriend? It's complicated? Well, why don't you try to sort things out? Spend the day with just you and him and see where you guys stand. If it doesn't work out, I know you have a busload of guys just waiting for a chance with you. It'll be his loss. Alright, no you're sweet too. Okay, later babe." I gave the phone back to Cory, who just shook his head and went back to talking to her in the kitchen.

"Hm... so, what do you think of 'Keith'?" Sean said as he joined me on the couch, sitting on top of my legs.
"He's alright. He's good company, fun to talk to, and still pretty hot. I'll admit, he's not boring like I thought he'd be."
He smiled. "So, does this mean you'll-"
"No, you said no dating, and for once I agree with you. I'm not looking for another relationship right now."
"Well you can't spend the rest of your life whoring around every city you stumble into."
"Watch me." I kicked my legs up, knocking him on the floor. I smirked and grabbed the remote. "You worry about your relationship, little bro, and I'll worry about mine."
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, this is kinda filler, but I hadn't updated in a while, so yeah.

XD "my buddy Socko". I love Spencer from iCarly.

Feedback? Was putting it in Dallan's p.o.v. good, bad, or just eh?

Comments / Subs = <3

Wow, I just realized this is the first update I've ever done for this story that was before midnight. WOO! No, that's pretty sad really, but still WOO!