Sequel: Falling Out of Line
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel!

Opposites Attract

Twenty-four

(Dallan)
Keith. My gorgeous Keith. I could get used to waking up next to you every morning. And that's before we've even had sex .;)

"Dallan, how you can possibly keep sleeping over like this every night?" Keith asked as he sat on the bed to put on his socks and shoes. "I'm having enough trouble getting to work on time, but you have two jobs - how are you never late?"
"Simple," I sat up and stretched, watching the Adonis that is my boyfriend walk to the bathroom. "I quit my jobs."
His head peered around the corner. "You did what?"
"I quit." I laid back on my pillow with my hands behind my head. "My jobs sucked, my bosses were assholes, and I was terrible at work anyway."
He came from the bathroom and gave me a disapproving stare. "Dallan, how do you expect to pay rent and buy food and everything if you don't have a job?"
"I'll get another one. It can't be that hard, can it?"
"You were a college drop-out and you have practically no work experience! Do you think it's that easy to get a job?! Do you know how hard I had to work to become a teacher? I'm still paying off my college loans and I could barely take care of myself my freshman year."
"Well, that was you. I don't plan on becoming a teacher and I don't have any college loans." He gave me a look that said 'How?' "Sports scholarships."
"Okay, but what if you want to go back to school? How are you gonna pay for that?"
"Ha! Go back to that godforsaken hellhole? Never. I'm done with school. And as for cash, well, it's never been hard for me to find work. I guess it helps being athletic and handsome."
He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "I... I can't even begin to point out the flaws in your logic. I'm running late. Help yourself to the fridge but please don't trash the place." He straightened his tie in the mirror, grabbed his briefcase, and closed the door behind him.

I sat back up and headed to the bathroom to take a shower. I didn't understand his problem. I thought I had been doing pretty well on my own so far. After I dropped out of school and shacked up with Tony, I made a living as a nude model for an art class and a lifeguard. Back then, life was sweet. Sure, it's not exactly heaven in this town, but I'm not hating it like I used to. Keith is extremely smart, so he must know what he's talking about, but I just don't see how I can't get another job. Call me big-headed or egotistical or whatever, but I know for a fact that I have been able to get through life with little effort. I don't know why, but I don't want to question a good thing and jinx it.

*** (Dallan)

Keith came home exhausted. I didn't understand him. He said it himself that he likes to be alone, but he never gets mad when I come over unannounced, or in this case never left. He is often stressed out by work, but when I ask him why he puts up with teens everyday, he grins and says he wouldn't trade that job for anything in the world. It got me thinking...

"Hey, babe." I greeted him with a kiss. He slightly smiled and loosened his tie. I took his briefcase and his jacket while he sat down on the couch.
"It's a little weird actually having someone to come home to. It was hard enough getting used to being greeted by my sister's cat when it was staying here."
"Well, I won't scratch you... unless you ask for it."
He ignored my flirting and kicked off his shoes. "Why are you still here, not that it bothers me."
"I've been thinking about what you said."
"And that took you all day? I knew you weren't brilliant, but still."
I glared at his grin. "Very funny. I was just thinking... about how much you love your job and everything, and it reminded me of how much I loved high school, and I was thinking that maybe I could get a job... at a high school."
His eyes widened and he cleared his throat. "A job... at a school... where you'd be responsible for children?"
"Shut up, I'm serious. I can totally relate to kids."
"Okay, but what would you teach? You can barely stand to listen when I talk about anything historic or math-related."
"Gym!"
"Gym?"
"I could be a coach or a gym teacher! I'm super athletic, but I still wouldn't have to do much work. I'm friendly-"
"And not strict at all-"
"I can do strict. I was pretty strict with Sean, wasn't I?"
He looked at me with sympathy and stood up. "I'm glad that you're looking at career options, but don't you think this is just a little bit out of your reach? I mean, you aren't really qualified to teach anything."
I gasped. "I can too teach! I'll have you know I majored in athletics!"
"Wait, what?"
"My major was phys. ed."
"Okay, but you never actually graduated college. And you need to get a teaching certificate which is even more school."
"Which is why I put that as my future goal. I'm gonna go back to school and get a degree and everything, and in the meantime, I can be a coach and get experience and stuff."
He raised an eyebrow. "You? Go back to school?"
"You know, I'm getting annoyed by you insulting me."
"I'm sorry, you know I don't mean it. I just don't want you to put all your energy into a project that you might not finish."
I frowned. "So, basically, you don't believe in me."
"No, that's not it at all. I know you're driven, I just wonder if this is a good idea."
"I did my research online, I've thought about it thoroughly, and I've weighed all my other options. The only thing I'm good at besides sports is sex, and unless you want your boyfriend to be an escort or a prostitute, I think you should support my decision!"
"I do, but-"
"Can you stop finding faults in my plan?!"
"Dallan, I want to support you 100%, but I want you to be sure that this what you 100% want to do."
"It is!"
"You've only thought about this for a day, and already you're planning on going back to college with no idea where you're going to go or how you're gonna pay for it or if you even want to deal with more school when you couldn't even finish before. Think about this."
"I have. I know that this is a good idea and I can't believe you won't help me with this."
"I'm trying to help you, but you have to stop acting like a little kid first!"
I stared at him. I don't think he realized he just said the very words that would now drive me more than anything. "I'm a grown man, and I'm not going to let you boss me around." I turned to walk to the door.
He followed me. "Where are you going now?"
"Home to look up schools and coaching jobs. I don't need your help."
"Dallan, please-" I walked out the door.

I got in my car and revved the engine, before I could even pull out of the driveway, my phone rang. It was Keith. I ignored it. I drove away. At a stoplight it rang again. I ignored it. By the third time my phone beeped, I was ready to throw it out the window, but then I noticed it wasn't a call - it was a text. I picked it up, eying the stoplight in case it changed. It was from Tony.

Cant wait 2 c u at the concert w/ ur bf

Tony. When did you become such an asshole? How did things end up like this?

*** (Keith)

Ugh. Somebody please tell me what just happened. All I was trying to do was help him and he got offended, blowing it all out of proportion. It just proves that he isn't mature yet.

Maybe I'm being a little mean, but I've spent my whole life taking care of people who weren't ready to grow up: my sister, my students, my friends. Just once I'd like to have a relationship where I didn't feel like I was responsible for taking care of them, and with Dallan that just seems impossible. I don't mean to insult him, but sometimes I wonder if he's ever going to grow up and face the real world: you can't get by on who you were in high school.

Now I was debating what to do. I called him immediately after he left, but of course he wasn't answering. I'm not desperate and I probably shouldn't talk to him while I'm still upset anyway, so I now I sit in my office staring at the window. The half-empty driveway... why does it seem so wrong when it's only been full for a few days?

This is ridiculous. I knew I liked him a lot, but I never realized I fell for him so badly. It's times like this where I really miss having Sean around. Even though he irritated me like every bothersome student does sometimes, he was great to talk to and always brightened up a room. It's funny, I had a crush on Cory and now I have a crush on Dallan, but I never felt that way towards Sean. I guess it's better that everything worked out that way, though, because now everyone is... with... who they're supposed to be with.

Damn it, Dallan, please pick up.

*** (Dallan)

I've been shut in my house for days now, refusing to go anywhere but the gym. I'm not really mad at Keith anymore, but I'm still upset. I could just be mad at myself, or at Tony because I keep hearing about him and his band The Upset (ironic) on the radio and TV. So, I've been going to the gym to take out my anger in the boxing ring and then head back home to look for jobs and research the whole being a coach thing. So far, I've got a lifeguard/swim coach interview and a shot at being an assistant coach lined up. Hey, some experience is better than nothing.

I have not talked to Keith. Like I said, I'm not mad at him. I've just been so driven lately to prove him wrong that I haven't even really focused on anything else. I forgot to visit Sean the other day (I apologized and came to see him the next day), and yesterday I realized I was almost out of food. It's amazing how one person can change your whole perspective.

Speaking of one (irritating) person, I decided that I would go to the concert, but I had no intentions of inviting Keith. I don't want to make things worse between us by bringing up my ex again, plus we clearly have some things to work out before we go out socializing. So right now, I'm grabbing my keys, my cell phone, and my wallet and headed out the door. I refuse to let him think he's better off than I am. Tony can not make me feel like a loser.

The arena is actually packed, which is funny because I hadn't even heard of the band until I ran into Tony this week. I waded through the crowd of screaming girls and guys that seemed indifferent toward being here. I debated actually using my backstage pass - I wasn't exactly eager to see Tony's smug face, but I still wanted to find a way to remove his smirk and I couldn't do that in the middle of a huge arena, so I fought my way to the front. I showed the thuggish-looking bouncer my pass and he waved me through. Backstage was chaotic: there were people running left and right trying to fix up any last minute issues, and I nearly had a tray of coffee spilled on me by a poor guy who seemed like a roadie or an intern just trying to last the night. I gave him a comforting smile and assured him that I wasn't mad, but I think I just made him more nervous. He murmured a thanks and ran off.

"Flirting with the groupies, eh Dallan? Now you've really hit rock bottom."
I rolled my eyes and turned to face the arrogant man of the hour himself.
"Hello, Tony. Great turn-out."
"We've had bigger," he whistled and the shy boy came running back with the tray of coffee, avoiding eye contact with anyone. "But I guess I really can't expect much from a rinky-dink town like this. I'm just surprised everyone was smart enough to find their way here."
"What did I ever see in you?" I shook my head.
"Oh, now do I really have to remind you? Honestly, it wasn't very hard to get with you - all it took was a nice body and a sexy voice, and of course I have both."
"Better calm down, Tony. Overinflate your ego and you'll fly off into the sky, and we just can't have that. Wouldn't want to miss your big performance."
The boy laughed but quickly shut up and looked back down as Tony glared at him. "I have every right to be proud of myself. I did something with my life, now I have plenty of fans and plenty of money. And what exactly do you have, Dallan? An absentee boyfriend?"
"I... uh... I didn't invite him."
"Aw, why not? I was looking forward to meeting your new imaginary friend."
"He's not imaginary, he's just at home. I didn't invite him because I didn't want him to know that I actually dated an asshole like you. How embarrassing would that be, right?"
The boy laughed again but he wasn't scared by Tony this time. "Go ahead and crack jokes, but it doesn't change the fact that I've got the money, the talent, and all the groupies I could ask for."
"Most of which are girls, and like I've said before, you are gay."
"I'm not afraid of a little attention, Dallan. In fact, my new boy toy has been giving me lots of private attention."

I pretended to gag as the man in the suit that was at the store before came up to us. My jaw practically dropped to the floor when he kissed Tony and grabbed his ass.

"Come on, babe, the show's about to go on."
"Be right there, Mic."
Mic nodded and flashed a smile at him before walking away, not even noticing me or the boy standing there.
"You... and-"
"My manager? What can I say - that's business. Not only is he great in bed, but this way the band and I stay one of his favorite clients, and I have a better shot at a solo career."
"You... are such... a whore."
He shrugged. "It works well for me. Well, as you heard, I'm due to perform. Enjoy the show."

And off walked the most obnoxious boy I ever loved. I wonder what happened to him. I know I might have been a little blinded by love, but he was never this much of a jerk when we dated. He was actually very sweet. He is an okay singer and he talked about being famous, but he didn't say much about what he actually wanted to do. I guess that's why we got along so well - we were both attractive, athletic man-whores with no real goals. Well, I guess we've both changed now - I'm no longer a man-whore, and he's no longer attractive :)

"Did... did you really go out with him?"
I almost forgot that the boy was here. He was looking me in the eye now and he had put down the tray of coffee. His face was soft and innocent and his hair hung over his eyes, he sort of reminded me of Cory.
"Yeah, just a few months ago. He wasn't an ass then, though. Fighting with the person you love really changes a person." My eyes went wide.

Oh shit.

I'm in love with Keith.

The boy scoffed. "He was nice before? That's hard to believe."
I grinned. "He was dreamy and funny and kind to me, and there was no one else I wanted to be with, which is amazing considering how much I slept around before. When we broke up, I was devastated. I was so used to waking up to him and spending all my time with him, that when he was gone I just didn't know what to do with myself. I only moved back here to help take care of my brother. It's a hell of a coincidence that he ends up here too. At least he'll be gone on his tour soon."
"Good for you. I'm stuck being the roadie until it's over."
"Why are you a roadie?"
"I needed a job, and since I take college courses online, I had a lot of free time."
"You go to college online?"
"Yep. Majoring in the music business. I figured what better way to find out how it works than to observe from the ground up? Unfortunately, people treat you like dirt when you work closer to the ground."
"Aw, it's just because you're a roadie. Nobody respects a pack mule."
"Gee, thanks." He said sarcastically.
I laughed. "I'm kidding. You may be sick of it now, but everything worthwhile deserves worthwhile attention."
"Wow, thanks that's really good."
I smiled. I heard the drummer count off on his sticks before the rest of the band kicked in.
"Damn, they aren't terrible. Now I can't hate them."
"Oh, you can still hate them. I hear they eat puppies." He whispered.
We laughed. "I don't know if the whole band is as evil as my ex, but I doubt any of them would eat puppies. Besides, Tony's allergic."

We laughed again and spent most of the set list just talking. His a really cool kid, only 19 already he knows what he's gonna do with his life.

My phone rang and I excused myself for a minute.

"Hello?"
"Dallan, you finally answered."
My breath caught in my throat. "Keith. I'm sorry, I haven't been ignoring you, I just kinda spent the past few days by myself."
"That's alright. I wanted to call and make sure that uh... that we were still on good terms."
"You mean are we still together."
He breathed. "Yeah."
"Of course, babe. In fact, I... I realized something. I-"
"Thank you everybody! Now enjoy the equally amazing band Allstar Weekend!"
The crowd cheered loudly as Tony and the band came backstage. His smirk only grew when he saw me on the phone. What the fuck are you gonna do now?
"Is everything alright, baby? Who are you talking to? It's not that little boyfriend of yours, is it?" He said in a sly tone.
"Shut the fuck up!" I whisper-yelled at him, but it was too late.
"Dallan, who is that?"
"Mind if I take that, love?" He snatched the phone from my hands and placed it by his ear while the rest of the band held me back.
"Give me the damn phone, you jackass!"
"Yes, hello? Oh so your Dallan's supposed boyfriend? Yes I've heard of you somewhat. He didn't really say much, just that he had a boyfriend who couldn't make it tonight. What's that? You don't know what's happening tonight?"
"Tony, GIVE ME THE DAMN PHONE!"
"Well, me and my band - you may have heard of us, we're The Upset - we're playing at Sirian Arena and I invited Dallan to stop by backstage. I said he could bring you too, but for some reason he said he didn't want you to come."
"SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!"
He walked further away to avoid my screaming but was still in range for me to hear. "Oh, who am I, you ask? I'm his ex-boyfriend. Tony."
Shit!
"No, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want you to come along. I thought it'd be nice for us to all get together. After all, Dallan and I haven't seen each other in, what is it - about four months? Oh yes that does seem like a short time, but I assure you that he and I have no more romantic feelings for each other. Near the end of our relationship, all we did was sex, sex, sex just for the hell of it. I'm sure you two have a much stronger bond than we did, of course, since you been dating for... oh... only a few days you say?"
"Tony, I'm fucking begging you - shut up!" I was actually begging him. He was ruining what I just started.

I felt defeated.

"Well, I'm afraid we've got to go. We're heading back to the hotel now that our part of the show is over - Bye." He hung up without letting Keith say another word.

I was screwed.

"Do you realize what the fuck you just did? You have single-handedly ruined the best thing that's happened to me." I said through clenched teeth.
"Oh please, don't be such a drama queen. You've only been dating for four days."
"I love him! And I don't give a shit how long we've been together, I was looking forward to the future and you just crapped all over it! Why the fuck can you be happy but I can't?! Why are you out to make me feel miserable when you're the one who dumped me?!"
He stammered but ultimately was too stunned to speak. I shoved his band members off of me and blew past Tony and the boy who I just realized sat back and watched my relationship go down the drain.
"You can all go to hell!" I screamed before storming off.

I had been driving around the city aimlessly for a half-hour before I realized I had left my phone at the arena. Releasing yet another string of curse words, I turned around and drove back to the arena. I didn't even bother with the crowd this time and went right through the unguarded back door. I looked around for anybody who could be of use to me but found my search nearly fruitless until I came across my phone sitting on a table next to the tray of coffee from earlier. There was a note attached.

"Dear Dallan,

I'm sorry that I didn't do anything to stop Tony. By now, sorry probably doesn't mean shit to you. I hope you can fix your relationship with your boyfriend, but if you need someone to back you up, just call me - I put my number in your phone. If it makes you feel any better, I kicked Tony's ass. At least his bruised ego will match his broken nose and black eye.

Again, I'm really sorry.

-Eddie

P.S. Thanks for making me feel like a person instead of a pack mule."

Wow. I was still finding it hard to believe that anyone as small and shy as him could hurt anyone, but I had a feeling when I was talking to him that he wasn't as reserved as he seemed. I actually didn't find myself mad anymore. I knew now that the only thing I had to do was talk to Keith, but there's no way he would answer his phone now. So I hopped back in the car and drove to his house.

*** (Keith)

FUCKING. ASSHOLE.

I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE THAT HE JUST- JUST- UGH!!!

IT'S BEEN FOUR FUCKING DAYS! I KNOW WE AREN'T EXACTLY EXCLUSIVE, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN JUST GO RUNNING BACK TO HIS EX!

THAT BETTER NOT BE HIM RINGING THE DOORBELL, OR I SWEAR-

"GO THE FUCK AWAY!" I shouted at the peephole.
"Keith..."
"I'LL COME OUT THERE AND KICK YOUR ASS MYSELF!"
"I don't care, I just want to make sure you know what really happened."
"I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME ANYTHING!"
He sighed and I heard him lean against the door.
"I ran into Tony at the store right before I went to tell you how I felt about you. He was being an arrogant jackass and kept pushing my buttons. He kept bragging about how he was a big celebrity now and tried to make me feel like a failure, so he invited me and my boyfriend - or at least I told him I had a boyfriend before I actually asked you out, to the concert. Yes, I did go see Tony in concert, only because I didn't want him to think that he could get to me. And I didn't invite you because I didn't want you to think I was only using you to make my ex jealous and because I never want to bring you anywhere near him because I knew something like this would happen. When you called, I was backstage, and then he and his band ganged up on me. Tony took the phone and ruined everything while his stupid band members held me back so I couldn't stop him. I know this all sounds really hard to believe, but I promise you that I am not interested in anyone but you, especially not Tony."
"Oh please, do you really expect me to believe that? I know how much you loved Tony, and I know that you have no problem sleeping with people."
"But I would never cheat. Sleeping with random people - that was the old me. I haven't thought about another person that way after we started to hang out more. And yes, I did love Tony. It hurt that he left, and I thought he had broken my heart, but I didn't obsess over the break-up and I didn't even fight to get him back. Yet somehow, I keep finding myself running all over town to end up back at your doorstep begging you to accept me and my flaws. I don't care if it's been four days, four months, or four years..." He trailed off.
"...What?"
"I feel really embarrassed saying this so early in a relationship."
"What? What are you talking about?" I opened the door. He looked at me with the softest, most sincere eyes and he bit his lip.

"Keith, I love you." He blurted out.

I was stunned.

Suddenly, he ran past me and into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him. I was confused until I heard him retching, and then I got even more confused.

I closed the front door and went to check on him. I knocked on the bathroom door softly.

"Dallan, are you okay?"
He coughed a few times and groaned. "Yeah, I'm good."
"Are you sure? You're not sick are you?"
"No. I was so nervous, I actually threw up." He opened the door and half-smiled. "That hasn't happened since my first girlfriend."
I shook my head. "From this point on, we do not talk about our exes."
"Alright. Wait, you haven't told me about your exes-"
"You already agreed not to talk about it."
"Very sneaky." He chuckled. "So, um..."
"I have to be honest, Dallan, I'm not sure I feel that way about you yet. Can we just take things slow first?"
"Oh yeah, sure. No problem. Maybe then I won't screw up as much."
I laughed. "Hopefully neither of us will screw up. But to be on the safe side, I think we need to lay some ground rules."
"Okay, lay it on me."
"No sleeping over, at least not for a while. No talk of our exes, and no talking to them. We tell the truth and we try to see things from the other person's eyes before we settle on our judgement. And no sex."
"No what?" He seemed genuinely shocked.
"I know, but it's the only way I can be sure that is real to you. Every relationship you've had involved sex, and none of those lasted very long from what you've told me. Plus, I find it kind of hard to believe that you honestly have feelings this strong for me when we don't really know each other that well. The best thing we can do is abstain from sex, not just to test you, but to make sure we don't complicate things and ruin the relationship."
He pouted then sighed and looked at me. "I can't believe you're cutting me off. You are so lucky you're cute."
I laughed and kissed him on the cheek. "It'll be worth it. One month."
"One month?"
"That's it."
"That's longer than most of... uh right. No more ex talk."
I raised an eyebrow. "Have you ever been in a relationship that didn't involve sex?"
He clucked his tongue. "Um, no."
I shook my head. "This ought to be interesting."
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW! 306 readers, 100 subscribers, 134 comments! I love you guys for all the love <3

Questions for you:
1. Should I change the name of the story? (so far, my top choices are "Hey, Guess What?", "Down and Out (Of The Closet)", "Opposites Attract")

2. Should I skip ahead one month so that the next chapter is about the (possible) end of Keith and Dallan's one month rule and Sean's release from the institute, or should I wait and make the next chapters about Keith and Dallan's relationship and hearing from Cory's POV since we haven't heard from him in a while?

3. Do you like pina coladas? (if you know this song, you are awesome :D)

4. Would you all be so kind as to check out my new story and give me feedback?

Put your responses as story comments or you can message me!
Love you guys!!! <3<3<3<3<3

P.S. The quote "everything worthwhile deserves worthwhile attention" is from my history teacher, and I love it so much.