Sequel: Falling Out of Line
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel!

Opposites Attract

Twenty-eight

Ugh. Do you know what happens when you miss months of school?

You have to go to summer school.

Apparently, the administration does not care if I was in the hospital for weeks because of my abusive father, or that they ordered me to go away to a mental institution in the first place. If I want to be in the same grade as Cory next year, I need to make up my missing days in summer school.

This. Sucks.

It's the last few weeks of school now. This has been the craziest school year ever, but it seems like things are winding down. I've noticed the bullies don't even care to mess with anybody at this point, the seniors are getting ready for prom and graduation, and there are a ton of parties in the works. The only thing that hasn't calmed down are the teachers. They are working extra hard to make sure we finish our final projects. I've been gone for months, so my teachers aren't even bothering to give me an assignment. Sort of a win/lose situation.

I see Cory staring at the bulletin board and walk up to him. He greats me with a smile and points to a flyer about track.

"Remember when I said coach wanted me to join the track team?"
"Vaguely. Were you thinking about doing that?"
He nodded. "I think that as long as I don't overwork myself and remember my inhaler, I could do it."
"But you always forget your inhaler."
"Shut up. I'll remember it this time."
"No, you won't."
He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Tryouts are at the beginning of next school year. I was hoping you could help me get in shape."
I picked up his arm and waved it around. "You're already a twig, what do you want me to do?"
"Help me gain some muscle."
"I can't do the impossible."

He looked like he was ready to smack me. "Okay okay, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to keep insulting you, I guess I just don't have a filter anymore - they let us say anything at the institute."
"I've been meaning to ask you, how often did you talk about me?"
I bit my lip. "Why do you need to know that?"
"I don't, I'm just curious."
"A lot."
"Like-"
"Every fucking day." He smiled. "I think you just like embarrassing me."
"No, if I wanted to embarrass you, then I would read your therapy journal to the whole school, but I'm not evil like that."
"Speaking of evil, where's Zephrinity? I figured she would welcome me back with a wave of insults, but I haven't even seen here."

Cory frowned and looked away. "About that, she might actually hate me now."
"What? Why?"
"Well, I sorta overreacted when she told me that she liked you."
"How so?"
"I slapped her." I stared at him. "She's just lucky I didn't punch her."
"Cory, she's your best friend."
"She lied to me! She's been crushing on you for years!"
"I had a crush on you for a long time, too, but you never got mad at me for lying."
"...That's different."
"No it's not, and you know it. You're only mad because you're afraid she could have taken me from you. But I already told you, I love you and no one else, and there is nothing you have to worry about."
"I trust you, Sean, it's her I don't trust."
"Isn't she dating Forrest?"
"Yeah so?"
"Well, they seem really happy together. Maybe she'll just forget about me and they can stay together."
"Why are you being so nice? You hate both of them."
"I don't hate Zephy. She's like my little sister: annoying but I would still protect her because I care about her. And as for Forrest, well yeah I hate him. But he hasn't done anything wrong so far, so until he does screw up, I'm glad that they are together."
"Wow. That's really... uh..."
"I know, I'm weirded out by how I'm handling all of this, too. But whatever - summer is almost here and I've got a lot of shit to fix, so I can't waste time dwelling on the past."
"Once again, wow."

I took his hand in mine and walked him to the girl's restroom. I know Zephy and her friends hang her all the time. Cory noticed my plan and tried to break free, but I gently shoved him into the restroom and held the door closed. At first there were shrieks, but then they realized Cory was harmless. I heard him mutter mean things about me under his voice before addressing Zephy. It was quiet at first, but then I heard a muffled conversation, a little bit of shouting, then crying and I assumed it all ended with a hug. I sighed and leaned against the wall. I wish things were that easy for me: some talking, some emotions let out, and then a big hug to end it all. Why can't all my problems be solved like that?

They emerged from the restroom arm-in-arm and I smiled. Then Zephy smacked me in the back of the head.

"That's for shoving him in the girl's restroom."

I didn't even bother arguing, I just hugged them both. When we broke away, I noticed that Zephy looked a little stunned. I guess she expected... well I don't know. She looked at me, grinning like an idiot, then at Cory, who was shuffling his feet shyly and looking at the ground. Then she gasped and smacked me again, this time across the face.

"What did I do now?" I complained.
"You guys had sex?!"

My eyes widened. How the hell did she get that?!

"I can't believe I stop talking to Cory for a few days and then this happens! Cory - restroom - NOW!"

She grabbed him by the arm and dragged him back inside. Just like old times.

I sat down on the floor and waited for Zephy to stop squealing and demanded details like the weird, girly best friend that she is. Out of nowhere, Forrest appeared by my side and sat down. He listened to the loudness that is his girlfriend, then nudged me.

"Did those two make up?" I nodded. "That's good. Zephrinity was a wreck without him. Do you know that it is impossible to understand her when she's crying? She got so frustrated that I didn't realize she wanted her comb that she got it, threw it at me, then asked for it again. I swear, I had never been more pissed off and scared in my life!"
I chuckled. "Yeah, she's a handful, isn't she?"
"It's a wonder you and Cory put up with her for so long. I mean, I'm actually in love with her, but for you guys to just be her friends, I don't know how you do it."
I looked at him. "You're really in love with her?"
He nodded then sighed. "I haven't told her yet, though. I'm afraid of what she'll say, or won't say."

I wanted to reassure him, but not knowing how she actually felt about him, I didn't know what to say. She could still like me for all I know, but for everyone's sake, I hope she didn't.

"Why did you start dating her anyway?" I asked.
He laughed. "Well of course, I thought she looked fucking hot, so I asked her out. But she wasn't gonna let me have her that easily. She really put up a fight, canceling on me, flirting with other guys, wearing ridiculously revealing outfits. I was gonna give up - I didn't think she was interested. But then I finally got her to say yes to a date - I don't know what changed her mind, but she did. We talked, and I realized she and I had a lot in common - same taste in music, movies, and she was really smart and funny. By the end of the night, I actually couldn't bring myself to kiss her goodnight because I felt like such a jackass - I had only wanted to go out with her because I thought she was hot and slutty, but realizing how cool she was, I felt guilty as fuck.

After that, I think she ignored me for like a week. Then she came up to me and asked me why I asked her out in the first place. I didn't even know what to say, so I told her the truth. She slapped me, then I explained how he changed my opinion of her. She looked pissed, but then told me to pick her up for another date. She's the most confusing and dramatic woman I have ever known. She really drives me crazy sometimes, but when I think about all the other guys she could've had, I realize she gave me a second chance for some reason and I shouldn't waste it."

"I am really confused - that... that didn't make any sense at all to me."
"Well, I guess to sum it all up, she isn't like any other girl out there, and I don't want to miss my chance with her. She's really changed me, and I'm glad."

I stared at him. I had noticed he was a different Forrest now. He wasn't the same kid who ruined summer camp for me, or the jerk who got people to tease Cory in the first place - he was a guy who was nice to all of us, even when Zephy probably wouldn't have cared if he was nice to me or not. Forrest had changed, and even though it kills me to say this, I'm glad he and Zephy are happy. I still don't like either one of them very much, but at least they are more tolerable when they're together.

Cory and Zephy finally emerged from the restroom. We both stood up. Forrest hugged Zephy, and I wondered if I should have done the same thing, so I did it anyway.

"Okay, so is everyone on good terms now?" I asked. Cory and Forrest nodded, but Zephy hesitated. I took her hand and brought her down the hallway - we really hadn't talked about this yet, so we might as well get it over with.
"Okay, let's hear it, Sean. I'm a complete idiot for thinking you could ever possibly like me."
"No you aren't. I mean, yeah I've know I was gay for a long time, but it's not something I shared with anyone. I didn't expect you to assume anything. Honestly, I didn't even consider that anyone would ever have a crush on me - I was just so hung up on Cory. I'm not saying that we would've gotten together if it weren't for Cory, but I don't think you're stupid for thinking this."
She stared at me in disbelief. "How can you not be laughing at me for this?!"
"Why would I laugh at you for having a crush on somebody?"
"Because it was a crush on you!"
"Look, I'll admit - I don't like you that way, and for a second, it was kinda funny seeing as we always act like we hate each other, but I'm not gonna make fun of you for having feelings for someone - that's just cruel. I remember when I came out to my dad, he laughed at first - he thought I was kidding. Then when he realized I wasn't kidding, he got really pissed and we haven't been okay since. I don't understand why people can't just be accepting of each other - we can't help who we fall in love with, right?"
She blinked, then smiled and nodded. "Yeah, you're right. So, this doesn't make things awkward between us, does it?"
"Why would it? We've both got boyfriends that we love, and we've gotten through this whole school year full of crap without killing each other. Compared to everything that's happened, this is nothing."
"Gee, thanks. Glad to see my emotions mean nothing to you." She joked and punched me in the arm.
"You know what I mean," I rubbed my arm. "Now, let's go back to our boyfriends."

We went back to Cory and Forrest and got situated - my hand in Cory's hand, Forrest's arm around Zephy's waist.

"So, is everything back to normal now?" Forrest asked.
"Nope. Far from it. But at least we can still get along with each other." I said.
"Amen to that." Cory whispered and kissed me on the cheek.

Best year of my life.

***

"I was thinking that maybe... I should come with you... to track tryouts."

Cory looked up at me from his notebook full of scribbles and drawings that I couldn't see well enough to decipher.

"Not that I mind, but why?"
"I just don't want to see you get hurt?"
"By what? The jocks? I don't care about them anymore. They don't scare me - they're just a bunch of pussies."

I stifled a laugh as the teacher looked our way. I tilted my head down and waited for the teacher to look away. When she did, I turned back to Cory. "It's not just them that I'm worried about. What if... what if you have another asthma attack and you forget your inhaler?"
"For crap's sake, I'm not that forgetful, Sean."
"You aren't, unless it's your inhaler. You never bring it with you."
"That's because I hardly ever need it."

I sighed. If there was anyone more stubborn than me, it was him. "That isn't necessarily true. And even if it was, I still think you should take the precaution. You aren't used to that much activity - this isn't gym class."
"And you aren't my coach. Let me worry about what happens to me, alright?"

I wanted to smack him. Doesn't he realize he's killing me here?

"Okay. I'm still bringing it with me."
"And that is why I never bring mine."
I blinked at him, confused. "Wait, so you purposely leave your inhaler at home because you just know that I'm always gonna have your extra one with me?"
"Mm-hmm." He nodded.

I didn't know whether to feel mad or impressed.

"Why do you assume I'll bring it?"
He turned to me. "Remember in third grade, when I had my first asthma attack? I hadn't even told anyone that I had asthma except for the teachers. The only person who was freaking out more than I was was you. I seriously thought that you were gonna explode or something. When my mom came to take me to the hospital, you still hadn't calmed down at all, and I really couldn't say anything, but at that time, I thought that you were so nice for worrying about me that much. When I came back to school, do you remember what you did?"
I looked down shyly. "I punched you."
"And do you know what you said after that?"
"No... what did I say?"
"You said 'I would beat you up, but you might die, so I won't do it.' You really shocked me with that. You told me that the teacher explained what was happening with me and that you got really scared that I wouldn't live. I knew you were my friend, but I didn't think that you would care that much. I even thought that you would stop wanting to be my friend because I was defective or something."
"That's crazy!"
"I was a shy little kid. I didn't have many friends - I blamed it on my flaws. Anyway, you stayed by my side for weeks after that, watching me, making sure nothing happened to me. One day we went out to recess and I left my inhaler on the playground. You found it, brought it to me, and threatened to beat me up if I ever lost it again. You were such a violent child."
"Hey, it worked, didn't it?"
He laughed. "Yeah, it did. But as we grew up, I saw how uncool a shy and nerdy asthmatic was, so I refused to carry it."
"And I said I would carry it for you. Wow. Now how is it that you remembered that whole story, and yet you can't remember to bring your damn inhaler with you?"
"Shut. Up."

I smiled. He returned to his notebook. I was really happy now - I had always been there for Cory. And sometimes, I didn't even need to be. Maybe now, I can actually relax.

***

Dallan was really on edge lately. He was easily distracted and he wouldn't look me in the eye. Something bad was about to happen - I just know it.

"Alright, what is it?" I asked, sitting down at the table.
"What's what?" He didn't look at me, just kept his eyes on the stove.
"What's got you so nervous?"
He sighed and turned to face me but still looked down at the floor. "I've uh, got some bad news."
"What is it?"
"Dad's being put on trial. They really can't hold him in jail forever without a court sentence. So... well... I hired a lawyer, and he said that we'll need as many witnesses of his crimes as possible. That means-"
"I'm going to have to testify against my dad."
"Pretty much."
"Great."
"Mitchell, our lawyer, also wants to have more witnesses who can support our case. People who know what happened and what has been happening for a while. Keith has already volunteered to speak. Do you think your friends would be willing to help out?"
"Of course they would. I just... I don't know if I can do this."
"Of course you can. You've handled this whole situation very bravely."
"Yeah, but it's not just about bravery, I mean, what would I even say? I can't tell the world how bad my dad was, I could barely admit it to myself."
"I know," he came and sat down next to me and put his arm around me. "This isn't going to be easy. The whole process could take a long time, there might be press bothering you, and the added stress can't be good for you. But this is the most important time for you to remember that you aren't alone. You've got me and Keith and Cory and Zephrinity, and most of all, you've still got mom."
I looked at him.
"She's always gonna be in your heart and up there watching over you. You aren't alone, Sean - you never were."
I nodded. "You're right."
"And if we don't serve him justice, he's never gonna learn."
"Yeah, I know, but... to say that I put my own dad behind bars..."
"It sounds just about as messed up as everything else you've dealt with this year."
I laughed. "You know, you're actually right. I'll call up Cory and Zephy. Thanks, Dallan."
"No problem, Ace."

I went upstairs and got out the new phone that Dallan had bought me. It's amazing, he actually plans to get a job and a house. I told him that didn't make a lot of sense because we basically live here or at Keith's house, and I'll be off at college in a year anyway, so a house wasn't necessary, but I know he just wants to give me what he thinks I'm missing out on. But really, I'm not missing out on anything: I've got friends, a boyfriend, and family who loves me. If I can pull my grades together next year, I can go to college and do, well, I don't know yet. But I don't have to worry about that right now. I've got a trial to look forward to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello readers :) Sorry it's so short, but I need to cut it off here for the next chapter.
Few things I need to clarify:
No sex scene in this story b/c I can't write those - it's way too awkward. I have never written one, and I really don't think I can write one with two guys. BUT, if anyone wants to write a sex scene between Sean and Cory or Keith and Dallan (for whatever strange reason is running through your head) I will add it to the story as it's own chapter.

Planning on a sequel to this story (omg!). It would take place with a grown up Sean and Cory and... well read the description, please.
Falling Out Of Line