Sequel: Falling Out of Line
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel!

Opposites Attract

Three

Cory hasn't been paying attention to me anymore, and it's killing me.

Normally, we'd talk during class, even though we always got caught. Now he acts like he actually cares what the teacher has to say. Well, okay he already did, but now he won't snap out of it.

He's talking to Zephrinity even more. I don't understand it since all they do is gossip. He's even joined in on a few of her group gossips with most of the girls in school. It's sickening hearing them talk about what guy is hot (I'm never mentioned), who nailed who, who dumped who. Most disgusting is how they talk about "Mr. Sinclair". For crying out loud, he's a freaking teacher! He's like, old enough to be their father! How do you fall for someone like that?

I'm afraid Cory might have. I know it's stupid to think that. I mean, he's straight, and he could never go for an old man...

Right?

Never mind. It's crazy for me to even think that.

Right?

***

"Hey Cor, you ready for Friday night?" I dropped my books on the table in fifth period, startling him out of whatever daze he was in.
"Huh? Friday? What's happening Friday?"
I stared at him. "What happens every Friday? Our sleepover? You know, the one we've had every Friday since we were 10?"
"Oh right. Yeah, of course."
I gaped at him. How could he forget our sleepover? We've been doing it every week. We've never missed a day, and that's saying something seeing as we're 17 now.

Actually, all that says is that we have no lives. But we have no lives together. That's what matters!

I kept staring at him with my mouth wide open as "Mr. Sinclair" walked in the room.

"Hello, human beings. How was your day?"

That's another thing that bugs me. He says human beings, as if he's an alien or something. He's just asking for somebody to investigate his house.

"Glad to hear it's going well. Mr. McClean, would you be so kind as to take your seat and stop staring like that. If a bug flies into your mouth, you might choke and I'll have to send you to the nurse, and I would hate for you to miss valuable class time. I have a special lecture planned out for today."

I grumbled and sat down as he gave me a stupid grin.

"Thank you very much, kind sir. So!" He said quickly before taking a long pause. He clasped his hands together and stared around the room. "Who can tell me... why we are here today?"

A girl raised her hand. "Evolution?"
"No no no. We are not having that debate in my class, I'll get fired. Try again!"
"My parents fucked." Some idiot snickered in the back and high-fived his two lackeys.
"Mmm... yes but not what I was looking for. Next time avoid profanity. NEXT!" He jumped on his desk.
"I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with history?" I sighed.
"Very good question, Mr. McClean. I'm sorry, but do you mind if I call you Sean? I keep saying McClean, and it's making want McDonald's."
I frowned as the girls - AND CORY - laughed at him.
"Sean's fine." I clawed at my desk.
"Thanks. So, it applies to today's lesson in a very complex and long-winded way, but since I don't have that kind of time, let's just do it the old fashioned way. A couple of Englishmen travel to North America - stop me if you've heard this one."
More laughter.
"Seriously, though. I'm sure we've all heard of the first Thanksgiving, but do we really know what all lead up to it, and what came after it?"
"Yeah. Arrows and gunshots, the English take over, and the Indians hate us for all eternity. Next." I grin and earn a giggle from Cory, making my heart soar.
"Yes, that is basically it, Sean. Though lets use the term Native Americans in here, or NAS. Say it with me everybody!"
"NAS." The class said.
"Sha na na na!"
"Sha na na na!" we echoed, and even I laughed a little at that.
"Right, so the NAS - oh lord I just realized that sounds close to Nazis. Um... please don't mix that up - so the NAS were the rightful owners of the land. Well not the owners, since nobody can own the land."
"History begs to differ, Mr. Sinclair. Oh, can I call you Keith? I'm sorry, but I keep saying Sinclair, and it makes me think of sin, and well, we shouldn't bring up religion in this class, should we?" I smirked.
He gave me an unreadable look, then smiled and shrugged. "To each his own, Sean. Now as I was saying..."

***

The bell rang. I grabbed my bag, and as Cory was gathering his stuff, Mr. Sinclair whistled and looked at me. I knew what that look meant.

"Sorry, Cor. Looks like Mr. Sinclair's mad at me. See you at lunch?"
"Sure," he shifted his backpack strap on his shoulder. "But, can you maybe go a little easy on him? He's knew here, and he's just trying to be nice to us."
I wanted to give a smart remark, but the comforting look in his eyes made me decide against it. I sighed, "Of course. Anything for you, Cory."
He smiled and patted me on the back before leaving the classroom.

"Well, Mr. McClean."
"Aw, we're back to being formal?"

He bit his lip. He motioned to the door. I gulped and went to close it, then sat down in a seat in the front row. He leaned against his desk and tilted his head to the left.

"Do you not like me, Mr. McClean?"
"No I like you plenty. Just not as a teacher."
"And why is that? Am I being too friendly?"

Way too friendly. I mentally growled as I thought of Cory.

"No."
"Am I moving too fast for you to understand?"
"Not at all."
"Did I offend you in anyway?"

Yeah, you made the love of my life smile in a way that only I am allowed to do.

"Nope."
"Well then, I can't quite see why you hate me so much. Sarcasm is one thing, but blatantly disrespecting me is not okay. I'd hate to write you up for that."
I shrugged. "I get written up all the time. I'm surprised you haven't done it already."
"That's because I don't like being the normal teacher." He stood up. "I know you don't like me, and I don't know why. But that's not gonna stop me from trying my best to help you pass this class. Wouldn't you rather pass so you won't have to see my face again?"

I blinked at him.

"I thought so. Now, since I can't resolve the problem without knowing what it is, and I doubt you'll tell me, how about this? If you don't have something nice to say, keep it inside."
"Are we seriously doing this?"
"Well, I don't want you to be silent, because I love your enthusiasm, and I can't wait to hear what you have to say. But if it's too rude, then I have no choice but to give you a detention. I really hate to give out detentions, Sean. Especially if it means you'll just have to spend more time with me after school. I don't want to spend time with somebody who doesn't want to spend time with me. It just makes for awkward silences and long periods of boredom. So, do we have a deal?"
"I would say yes, if I still knew what we were talking about."
"Long story short - you don't bug me, and I don't punish you."
"I'll try my best. If you just promise me one thing."
"And what might that be?"
"Stop making all the girls go gaga over you. It's disgusting!"
"Ah so that's why your so pissed. What, is some girl paying more attention to me than you? Some girl you like?"
"Oh please. I don't like any girls here. It's just really annoying. Can't you like, tell them you have a girlfriend or something?"
"You want me to lie to my students?"
"It's not like it's your parents. You won't get in trouble."
"Alright. But just between us, I don't like any girls either."
I stared at him. "What are you getting at?"
"Oh nothing."

He went and opened the door. I saw Cory and Zephrinity tumble onto the classroom floor. Mr. Sinclair laughed and looked at me. "Don't worry, these rooms are practically soundproof." He winked at me and stepped over my friends out of the room.

"Oh my god! What were you two in here talking about for so long?!" Zephy screamed at me. I winced and shoved her out of my face, earning yet another glare from her.
"Did you get another detention already?" Cory frowned.
"Nope."
"What?!" The shrieked.
"Do that again and I'll kill you." I shook my head. "No, I didn't get a detention. Apparently he doesn't like giving detentions. As long as I try not to insult him as much, we won't have a problem."
"That's good. I get lonely when you're in detention so much."
Zephy gasped. "I'm here for you, you ungrateful little-"
"Chill, Zephy. Cory and I just have a different relationship, that's all. You can't match that." I put my arm around him. He blushed and leaned into me. My smile grew ten times bigger.
She huffed. "Fine. You stupid assholes. I wish you two would just fuck and get it over with already. You're so gay for each other."
My eyes widened. I immediately dropped my arm from his waist. He stepped away and looked at the ground while messing with a strand of his hair. My face was burning hot.
"As usual, you don't know what you're talking about, Zephy."
"Uh huh." She grinned evilly. Cory and I walked around her out of the classroom. He never looked at me once.

Stupid Zephrinity.

***

Cory and I got over that stupid comment Zephrinity made. Or at least we had, until Friday rolled around.

We did the norm - video games, scary movies and pizza, then drinking whatever beer I managed to steal from my dad's fridge. He's too drunk to notice the difference.

We had turned to some horror flick on pay-per-view, but we weren't really watching it at this point. Cory was officially freaked out and was now hiding in my chest. I sighed, turned off the tv, and wrapped my arms around him.

"S-S-S-Sorry I c-c-couldn't watch the movie anym-m-more, Sean." His voice was muffled against my chest.
"Ssh, it's alright, Cor. You know I don't care. I don't why you always insist on watching these stupid movies when you know it gets to you."
"I w-w-watch them because you like them."
I blinked at him. "Is that why? Well, damn Cory, if I knew that's the only reason you watched them, I would've avoiding these movies a long time ago."
He looked up at me. "R-R-Really? But if you-"
"Cory, I'm not gonna do anything that makes you unhappy. If you only watch these with me because you feel like you have to, then we don't have to watch them anymore. I care more about you than some dumb movie."

He smiled and burrowed closer to my chest, if that was even possible.

"You're a great friend, Sean."
"Duh. It took you this long to notice that?"
"No. I just didn't tell you because I knew you'd get a big head about it."
"Can I help it if I'm just so awesome?"
I grinned while he shook his head at me.

At the same time, I can tell, we thought about when I jumped the neighbor's dog Maximus on my new bike. Cory was scared shitless that I was gonna kill myself, but I told him no chance, because if I died, then I would have to give him my bike. I made the jump, and I guarantee you I pissed myself in fear and in shock.

He and all the kids from school crowded around me, cheering and paying what they bet against me. I could not believe that it actually happened - something so stupid that we were imitating off of a super hero cartoon that I can't even remember anymore - jumping over a 'demonic beast' on a monster bike. After ten minutes, all I could do was slightly smile and say what the kid hero said "Hey, can I help it if I'm just so awesome?" before I finally passed out.

It's the only time that I really feel confident in myself, to be honest.

"When are you gonna get a knew catchphrase, Sean?"
"When I stop being awesome."
"In that case, you needed a new catchphrase ten years ago."
I frowned as he grinned. Then I grinned, and next thing you know, we're wrestling on the floor.

As you know, Cory is as skinny as a twig. I am very muscular. But I always give him a fighting chance in the beginning, let him pin me once or twice just so he doesn't feel bad. I'm pretty sure he knows that I do it, but he doesn't seem to mind.

However, Cory must have been working out lately, because he pinned me a third time and I wasn't even going easy on him anymore. Out of pure shock, I didn't fight back at first. Then I shook my head and we were rolling around again. We bumped into the coffee table and knocked his mom's magazines on the floor. Then we hit the TV stand and shook it, making a pile of DVD cases fall on top of us. We were still going at it, a little more rough than usual. Cory was really getting into it, as if he was determined to pin me more than ever.

We slammed into the coffee table again, knocking it on it's side. He shoved me against one of the protruding table legs, digging it into my back. I gritted my teeth and threw him off of me.

"Enough, Cory!" I shouted. I sat up, a pain shooting down my back. I growled and tried to straighten my back, but that only made it hurt more of course. I heard Cory gasp, and soon he was right by my side, sputtering out apologizes. I sighed and looked at him. He instantly stopped talking and stared back. I slowly laid back down on the door, him looking down at me.

"Alright. Want to explain what that was all about?"
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I-"
"Ah. I forgive you. I just want to know what happened."
"I-I don't know what came over me. It's just, I've had so much on my mind lately. I was just so frustrated, and I guess I took it out on you, because I knew you could handle it. You wouldn't get mad, and you could take a punch."

I chuckled and pulled him into a hug, shocking him at first before he hugged back.

"I'm sorry, Seanie."
"It's alright, Cor. I won't hold it against you."
He made a content sigh and sat up a little to look at me. I was staring into his eyes again. His dark gray eyes that looked like a storm. Those eyes that never made sense - he was such a happy, comforting person, but his eyes showed so much raw emotion, so many secrets. They were burning now, molten silver. So many dark secrets behind that stare.

His gentle face framed his eyes, making them softer. His pink plump lips, begging to be kissed...

And then I felt them. Two warm rose petals touching my lips.

I swear I was dreaming. Don't you dare wake me up.

It took me seconds to snap out of it and wrap my arms around him. His hands cupped my face, his legs straddled my waist. My whole body was heating up. I didn't why or how this was happening, but I didn't want it to end. Please, let this beautiful dream last a lifetime.

It all came crashing down when his mom came through the front door. Cory gasped and jumped off of me, hitting the coffee table. The table leg jabbed him in the back as it did to me, and he whimpered as I slowly sat up and rubbed my head, looking at the floor.

"Hi boys. I just got home from work, and I didn't know if you were gonna order pizza again- what happened to my living room?!"

I couldn't answer her. I was still lost in my blissful dream.

I think Cory muttered something in his trembling voice.

I could tell Mrs. Barnes stared at us in confusion/suspicion, but she didn't press us. She just mumbled something about us having to clean up later then left the room.

"I-I-I-I-I-I-I... Se-Se-Se-... Oh my god!" He jumped up. I heard his lightening fast footsteps pounding against the carpeted steps. I didn't have to wonder - he was headed to the bathroom. He was hyperventilating. I wish I could've helped him. But I can't.

I'm too busy touching my lips.

Too busy trying to make sure that that just happened.

Too busy remembering the sweet feeling of his lips pressed against mine.

Too busy grinning like a madman.

Too busy to realize how fucked up our friendship just got in eighteen short seconds.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, that chapter was a little hard at first, but I'm really excited for the ending.

The only problem is, I have no idea how I'm writing the next chapter yet.

But then again, I hardly ever know.

I love my subscribers and readers, but I would like feedback too.

Night <3