Sequel: Falling Out of Line
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel!

Opposites Attract

Thirty

***ONE YEAR LATER***

Senior year came a went in a flash. I finished summer school and passed my classes this year, a lot of them with A's. No idea how that happened, but I'm not complaining. :)

Cory did join track, and despite how much I nagged him, he wouldn't let me tag along to mother him. I did, however, make him a keychain to put his inhaler on, so he has no excuse not to have it. Surprisingly, he never did have another asthma attack. Maybe he's getting better.

Zephrinity and Forrest became (grossly) inseparable. When Zephy wasn't sucking his face, she was insulting me as always. She has kinda lightened up though. I'm actually surprised that she stayed in this relationship this long - her boyfriends never last a year, let alone nearly two years. Maybe she's found the one. I know I have. <3

Speaking of relationships, Dallan and Keith plan on officially moving in together after I go off to college. (That's right - COLLEGE! And you thought I wouldn't make it. TAKE THAT HIGH SCHOOL!!!) I wonder if they'll get married... HA! Yeah right. Dallan and commitment can only go so far. They'll probably just end up living together as a couple for years, kinda like Gene Simmons. Keith is already part of the family, it doesn't really need to be official.

I still plan on marrying Cory. I kinda brought it up as a joke, and he said he wouldn't mind that at all, but maybe wait until after college. So do you know what I'm gonna do? Right after we graduate from college, I'm gonna propose to him. And I don't mean like a month later, I mean right after the ceremony is over, I'm going to go to wherever he went to school, hunt him down, and propose. That is my plan, don't ask me how the rest of the story goes. I don't want to over-plan this, and I don't want to jinx it, so I'm leaving it at that.

"Sean, we're gonna be late. You can finish writing in your journal on the way."

I looked up at Cory. Still as sexy as ever. ;)

"Okay." I've still gotta put on my cap and gown and let Cory fix my hair until it's acceptable. Later.

***

Ceremony was SO boring. Seriously, how many Johnsons were in our graduating class? Even our principal was half asleep. Ugh.

We all went out to dinner afterward - me, Cory, his mom and dad who I've probably seen a total of six times in my life (he's some kind of businessman), Dallan, Keith, Zephrinity and her family, and Forrest and his family. Luckily, we went to a slightly unpopular restaurant, so it wasn't crowded with people. We had a great time, talking and laughing like we had been doing it for years. It was the first time I felt like I had a real functioning family.

After dinner, everybody was pretty exhausted. Since it was a Friday, Cory and I decided to do one last sleepover, for old time's sake. His mom wasn't thrilled with that, but she'll be too busy trying to explain why she thinks that a bad idea to her husband. Apparently, he doesn't exactly know that Cory is gay, or that he has a boyfriend. Have fun with that, Mrs. Barnes.

Cory and I threw our sleeping bags on the floor. I had gone home and changed into my pajamas before coming over, and Dallan gave me all my grad mail and gifts to open. Cory and I planned to open them all together. A lot of Cory's gifts were cash, gift cards, and stuff for college. At this point, I kinda felt like it was Christmas and I was Harry Potter. My friends got gifts from their families, but since I didn't really have anybody but Dallan and I guess Keith counts, I only had three cards and some new clothes. Money is tight for us - Keith's a teacher and Dallan's going back to school. The first two cards were from them, but the third one was a letter from my dad.


"Dear Sean,

It's been a year since I've seen you, a year since the trial, and 11 months and 2 weeks since I've been admitted to rehab. I've been getting treatment for my anger issues and therapy for all the past problems. I've also been attending classes to help me with my slight drinking problem. If you are willing to see me again, then you will see that I am a changed man.

I never apologized for all the shit I've done. I'm sorry for abusing you and making you feel like you didn't belong. I admit that I did resent you for a long time, but I could never hate you. I know I shouldn't have put my appreciation for your mother or Dallan over you, but when I saw you, and how much you look like your mother, I just couldn't handle all the pain it brought us. But I understand that I've brought you much more pain than that, and I am sorry.

I don't know when my treatment will end, but I don't want you to feel unsafe. If you doubt that I am better, I promise that I won't come near you or contact you again. But I really wish that you would at least try to keep talking to me. Losing my family has been the biggest burden on my life, and even though you aren't gone, you've still left me.

I've written Dallan a separate letter, but this one is all about you. I think that around now you'll be attending your prom and your graduation. I'm proud of you. I've never been more proud of you than I was at the trial. Despite everything we've been through, you are still strong enough to forgive and move on with your life. That's something I am working on for myself. More than anything, I regret that I won't be able to see you receive your diploma, but know that me and your mother are there in spirit. Your mom and I started a college fund for you at the bank, and if you ask Dallan, he can help you with it.

Hopefully, I will be in attendance for your graduation from college.

I love you, I'm sorry, and I thank you for all that you've done for me.

Dad".


I noticed Cory was reading over my shoulder, so I handed it to him. After he read it, he asked me how I felt. I thought about it.

"I don't feel numb anymore."
"How do you feel?"
"...Better. A lot better."
He stared at me, probably expecting more, but smiled and hugged me anyway. I wish I could feel more, but I think I've come a long way to feel anything towards my dad now.
"Do you think you'll keep in touch with him?" he asked.
"I don't know."
"It's okay, you don't have to know now. You've got your whole life to think about things."
I nodded and hugged him back. "What am I gonna do without you for the next four years?"
"Nothing, because I'm gonna be with you for the next four years."
I stared at him. "What?"
"I applied to the same school, and I got in. It's not as prestigious, but I'll still get a good education, and I'll be with you. It's a win-win."
"And just how long did you plan on keeping this from me?"
"I was thinking that I would wait until the first day of school, and then surprise you like it was a teen romance movie. But then I thought that would be cruel, and I wouldn't be able to lie to you that long."
I shook my head, then tackled him to the floor.

And so began the wrestling.

Just like old times.

Who won? Nobody. It's hard to wrestle when your lips are pressed to someone else. Of course, that had to end quickly because his parents are home, but I don't care. Two years ago, I never thought that I would be here - going to a great college, living with Dallan, free from my dad, and dating my best friend. Still being able to hang out with him like best friends is great, but I like this even better.

Scratch that - I love this, I love him, and I love life.

I can't wait for the future.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short short short short short. Iz short chapter. I really want to get the ball rolling for the sequel though. However, even though the sequel still mostly has the same characters, they won't be the focus of the story and it will skip ahead to when they are adults and start off with whole new characters (if you haven't read the description yet, it won't be a slash, but I could still have a gay couple in there if ya want). This is the last chapter for this story, but if you really want a glimpse at what college life was for them, I will have flashbacks in the next story, and since I love doing it so much, I'll try to stick with the switching points of view. I love you guys and I'm glad you liked this story so much.

Comment, and check out the sequel (I put up the list of characters for the sequel - interesting)! <3 <3 <3