‹ Prequel: Forbidden Love
Status: This story begins!

Deserted

Flashback

As I sat there, reflecting upon the desolate neighborhood, I let myself slip into my memories. I felt myself pull back… into the past.

It was a normal summer afternoon… nothing special. I was sitting on the porch step, watching the birds fly about and the people walking by. I didn’t know what was going to happen, what would happen.

It was a bit late in the summer, with fall fast approaching. The birds were gathering into groups to migrate. You could see tons of birds in the mornings, hiding in trees, or resting on wires, or just flying in the air. There were so many, it was not even funny. Well, it kind of was.
Anyways, I got up and went inside, to get some lemonade. It was pretty hot outside! Mom was in the kitchen, fixing up a batch. She is such a psychic sometimes, I swear!

“Thank you so much, Mom!” I said, grabbing a glass and holding it out to her for her to pour.
She smirked at me.

“You’re welcome. You can pour your own glass!” She said.

Without warning, my little brother came bursting into the kitchen, yelling something I couldn’t understand.

“Calm down!” Mom said, laying a hand on Mike’s shoulder.

Mike calmed down enough to speak.

“Mom! There are some dead birds in the backyard!” Mike said, tugging on Mom’s shirt.

“Well there are lots of birds around here. They are migrating. There are bound to be a few dead ones.” Mom shrugged.

“I know! But look! There are a lot!” Mike said.

He pulled Mom’s shirt in persistence and Mom sighed, giving up and following him.
I trailed behind, curious.

When we stepped outside, I gasped.

Dead birds littered the backyard. You could barely see the grass. Mike was running around the field, and picked one up.

“Look! “ He shouted from across the yard.

“Put that down!” Mom shrieked. “Get over here, now!”

Mom took Mike inside and made him go into the bathroom to wash his hands. He was complaining the whole time, but Mom insisted.

While Mike was washing his hands, Mom went to the phone and dialed 911. I thought it was a bit exaggerated, but I trust Mom.

“Yes? Hello. Yes. I think so. There are a ton of dead birds in my backyard! Yes. Mhm. Thank you. Bye.” Was all I heard from Mom’s side of the conversation.

I was super curious about what they said, but Mom said all they told us to do was turn on the T.V.

I was utterly confused, but I turned on the T.V. to the nearest news channel.
A reporter, around their twenties, was doing a story on the birds.
“All over the world, reports are coming in of groups of dead birds.”

The News Anchor proceeded to show clips of birds falling out of the sky, of people who got hit, of the damage being done. Labels showed me that it was happening in China, England, France, Brazil, and pretty much anywhere birds could be.

My stomach dropped. What does this mean?

As if to answer me, a scientist made his appearance on the news, and began to explain the possibilities.

“Scientists all over the world are trying to determine what is causing this sudden death, and have narrowed it to a single cause. A new virus has spread throughout the bird population. It’s called the Bird Flu. We are currently isolating it in the labs, and it is highly contagious and deadly.

"A few people have been infected and isolated, but we suggest making the proper precautions. This includes not making physical contact with the birds, using gas masks, and keeping your immune system healthy with Vitamin C. We are working on a vaccine for this virus. Please report any person who has the following symptoms: red rash, cough, clogged sinuses, extreme fatigue, high fever, and yellow eyes. If this virus spreads, it will kill 97% of the world’s population.“

I was shell-shocked. This was a real danger. Mike had touched the bird.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for this filler chapter. :\ comments appreciated!