‹ Prequel: Forbidden Love
Status: This story begins!

Deserted

Danger

After a while, I got up from the porch, took a deep breath, and walked to the backyard, barefoot. The plant life had grown wildly, enriched by the dead birds from last year.

Everything had a rugged, uncivilized look, but it was comforting and natural. Nature took her land back.

A sudden noise made me turn my head. It was unnatural, compared to the faint hum of the generator and the dishes clanking in the kitchen. Tyler was doing the dishes, so he couldn’t be making the strange noises.

I then realized it was the sound of a car. Something I haven’t heard in a long time. I dashed across the backyard, through the long, tangled grass, and threw open the sunroom’s door. I dashed inside, and called out for Tyler. He stopped doing the dishes.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, fear outlining his voice.

“Someone is driving in the neighborhood.” I stuttered.

I dashed to the door of the basement, unlocking it and moving the wooden beams. Tyler was saying something that I couldn’t hear. I was too busy focusing on the task at hand as I ran down the stairs. Squinting my eyes in the dusty, dark basement, I attempted to find the emergency shut-off as quick as possible. I scrambled around the generator, looking everywhere. I began to panic.

“Tyler! Where’s the emergency shut-off?!” I yelled up the stairs.

“Why?!” Tyler replied.

“We have to stay off the radar. We can’t be found.” I said, fearing the worst.

“Why not? These are other living people!” Tyler questioned.

“Everyone is desperate nowadays. You have to be tough to survive. Gangs form and they rob and kill without hesitation. Now can you help by making this look as deserted and desolate as possible?” I explained.

“Sure!” Tyler said.

After I returned to what I was doing did I realize that I never got the answer to my question. I was about to ask Tyler again, when I saw the red button on the wall. It was locked. I fumbled with the keys as I heard the purring of cars growing closer. I accidentally dropped the keys on the basement, and I couldn’t see in the dark. I began to search with my hand, and it hit something squishy. I stifled a shriek, and found the keys next to the mysterious object. I picked it up and found the right key, unlocking the plastic case.

I lifted it up and hit the button with no hesitation. The generator instantly stopped vibrating, and the humming stopped. I took a deep breath, relieved.

Suddenly, I realized it was completely quiet. No footsteps, no cars, no birds, no life.
I slid down the wall, scared shitless. I tried to keep my heavy breathing quiet, but it was the only thing I could hear, and felt as loud as a fog horn.

A loud bang interrupted my anticipation, and I realized that it probably was not one, but multiple people driving, and that they are searching each street for supplies.

Damn it!

The front door was busted open, and I prayed that Tyler found a deep enough hiding spot to not be found.

I realized that they would most likely search this basement, to find a generator and a man. I got up, and began searching around. This was an old house… there are always stories of secret hiding places, yes?

I trailed my hands along the wall, lightly knocking to see if there were any hollow places. I heard footsteps approaching the basement door, and I quickly went along the wall, trying to find anywhere to stay. I came to a big cabinet, which I had not realized was there before.
Opening it up, I hopped inside as light from upstairs flooded in. I closed the cabinet doors behind me, feeling lost and scared. I backed up, having a sudden yet ridiculous thought about Narnia. I kept my eyes on the crack, trying to identify the intruder.

I ran into something, and realized that there was a knob behind me. I quickly turned it and went inside, shutting the door behind me.

I was plunged into cold darkness, even darker than the basement, safe for now. I then recollected what was happening as I trailed my hand on the wall, guiding my way.

As I was closing the door, I could have sworn that I heard the intruder say something about a rubber dildo on the floor.

Oops, haha.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I haven't been wroking on this for a LONG time. school, no ideas... sorry! ill try to work harder. If not, Ill scrap this, or make it a small "epilogue" :\