Be a Good Girl, Sandy Jones

Sandy Jones

I glared at the door as it slowly opened, revealing Dani. What did she want?

“What do you want?” I growled, throwing a pillow over my face again to block out the light that seemed brighter than it really was. She walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. I peeked out from under my pillow to watch her. She had her cell phone out and was texting someone.

“Who are you talking to?” I asked quietly and she looked over at me.

“My boyfriend, David.” She said with a smile. My heart thundered away in my chest. She was dating that ass?

“You’re dating that guy?” I asked in disbelief.

“Oh, I had completely forgotten about that even happening,” she said with a false smile. Bull. It was still fresh in her mind, it wasn’t that long ago. “But yes, we're dating.”

I got up and nearly lost my balance, didn't, and went to my closet. Hung up was a plush, fluffy, white robe that I wrapped around myself. I sat in my computer chair, putting my feet up on the bed. Dani turned her body to look at me, sat farther up on the bed, and crossed her legs.

“We haven’t worked on this project in like, 4 days, can we please work on it?” Dani pleaded. She knew she couldn’t do it without me, and if I didn’t work on it with her, she’d never get it done in time.

“Hold that thought,” I said, getting up and going downstairs for a moment, to get Tylenol for my headache. My mother was in the living room, watching the News Channel. I took the pills with water, then returned to Dani, my headache a little less intense already.

“Well, can we?” She asked, annoyance in her voice. I smirked and sat in my chair, put my feet up on the bed and crossed my arms.

“The project is due next Friday, that’s plenty of time, it’s only Tuesday.” I said, leaning back in comfort. Her eyes narrowed into a glare.

“Sandy, we’ve done enough lazing around! This project is almost done!” She screamed and I was suddenly angry with her. I had no idea we'd never actually finish the project.

“Once this stupid project is done, you'll never have to look at me again! Is that's what you want? Get this project done and never talk again?” I screamed back. I had no reason to be angry. But it just happened.

“Sandy, you know it’s not like that,” she whispered and I could hear the threat of tears in her voice. I regretted yelling at her.

“We’ll work on it tomorrow, I promise,” I whispered. She nodded and turned her head away from me. I wondered if she was crying or not.

I got up and sat on the bed beside her and took her into my arms, wrapping them tightly around her torso and pulling her toward me. She didn’t resist, like I thought she would, instead she laid her head on my shoulder. I didn’t feel any hot tears on my shoulder, so she wasn’t crying.

She smelled like strawberries and sugar. I loved having her warm form in my arms, being so close to her. But I didn’t want to love it. I didn’t want to have feelings for Dani Worthington, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have feelings for her. Because I did, and there was no changing it.

“Dani, I’m sorry for yelling.” I whispered, breaking the silence, but none of us moved to break the hug. Instead of breaking the hug, she snaked her arms around my waist.

She nodded, but didn’t say a word.

I moved away first. I unwound my arms from around her, and she removed hers from me. I got up off the bed and paced the room.

“You didn’t dream about that kiss. It really happened,” I said quickly, before I could stop myself. I didn't look at her. I couldn't look at her.

I felt her eyes follow me as I paced. I had spoken so fast, I almost thought Dani didn't understand what I had said.

“There’s a lot you don’t know about me Dani, but I want you to know. I want to be able to trust you. I want to be able trust someone for once. I don’t want to get hurt either, so before anything else is said, I want to know if I can trust you Dani, I want to know if we can pull this off, whatever this is.” I ranted, and turned fully to Dani.

She was speechless. She was looking at the floor, so I couldn't see her face either.

“Dani, please say something. I’m sorry for not telling you in the first place about the kiss, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have feelings for you. Feelings a friend doesn’t have for another friend.” I said quietly, mentally kicking myself. I was just laying it out to her, I didn’t even have anything I could use to defend myself.

There was no turning back now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Being put back up.