Be a Good Girl, Sandy Jones

Dani Worthington

She actually kissed me?

“Dani, please.” She was begging. Please what?

“No!” I jumped up off of her bed. “No! Why would you tell me that?” I yelled in her face. Her sharp features froze. Her intense eyes caught mine, our faces only a few inches away. I felt my face burn red with anger.

“Dani, I’m sorry-”

“No! This isn’t supposed to happen!” I snapped. “We were only suppose to be friends, secret friends. We are only supposed to be mean to each other, then forget about it after the project!” I started pacing around. It’s just not fair that almost a week ago, we had hated each other.

“Dani, I just want to trust you-”

“Well, you cant!” I screamed “How can you trust me if I can’t trust you?” I sat down quickly on her bed and threw my hands up, covering my face with them. I could feel them trembling against my eyelashes. Silence covered us, choking me. I felt her stare burning a deep and fiery hole into my head. My back straightened up, my hands dropped, and my eyes met hers.

“Why?”

Sandy gave me a confused look at my one word question. I clenched my jaw and repeated the question, but with more words.

“Why did you kiss me?”

“I don’t know.” She was obviously lying. That was such a stupid question. Of course I knew why she kissed me. It was the same reason I kissed back. Silence was choking the life out of us again.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. “It was just a lot to take in.” I was looking at my feet again.

“I understand,” she responded.

“I honestly don’t know if you can trust me. I don’t trust anyone, especially myself.” I sighed. “I want to trust people, you, my friends, but I can’t.” I gave her a fake smile.

Sandy sighed with me, leaning back against the wall. Along with silence, awkwardness started filling the room like fire, burning up the possibility of anymore conversation.

“Now what?” She asked what was running through both of our minds.

“What do you mean?” I played stupid.

“We just start hating each other again?” The question made my insides drop.

“I don’t know.”

“Oh.”

Then I stood up quickly, throwing my purse over my shoulder. “It’s late, I really should go.”

“Wait!” she reached out and grabbed my wrist, making me stall my movements. “Why don’t you spend the night?”

I froze, unsure what to do or think of the request. She just told me how she felt; I had yelled in her face and told her, basically, no. Now she’s inviting me to spend the night at her place?

She wasn't making any sense with her emotions. First she was calm, then angry, then she wanted to give me her heart, she was upset, and now she wanted me to stay the night.

“Why?”

She shrugged then gave me a smirk; it almost looked like her traditional sneer. “Isn’t that what friends do?” I felt a smile grow on my face. I have no idea why, but I wanted to laugh hysterically.

“But we have school, and what will your mom think?” I started thinking and coming up with reasons not to.

“I am a girl, you're a girl; I have clothes you can use tonight and tomorrow. Or we can even stop at your house tomorrow morning if you don't want to use my clothes. My mom doesn't care what I do or who sleeps over. If it turns out that she does care, I don’t.” She let go of my wrist.

My mind kept trying to think of reasons not to, but I pushed them aside for a moment and just thought about the reasons why I should.

“Okay” I smiled, feeling my stomach do nervous flips.

Her face lit up momentarily and butterflies flitted around my stomach at her moment of childish excitement that I had created.
♠ ♠ ♠
Being put back up.