Kings and Queens of Promise

Memory.

“Rise and shine, pumpkin pie!” shouted a loud voice upstairs. I chuckled before hurrying to save the foolish man about to be murdered by his sister. I arrived just in time to pull Emerson off of Alex.

“Alex, go wake up Jack,” I said, trying not to laugh at his obvious terror. He fled the scene, leaving me with a very disgruntled-looking Em. “We’ve got a big day today.”

“What are you talking about?” she asked, flopping back down on her bed and pulling the covers over her face.

“We’re going shopping,” I grinned, pulling the covers off of her.

“I don’t think I can go out, Jared,” she whispered.

“So, you think staying locked up in this gloomy room will make you feel better?” I pointed out.

“Yes.”

“Bullshit,” I laughed. “Get up and get a shower.”

“No.”

“Come on, Em.”

“No.”

“This will be good for you.”

“No.”

“Fine.” Then, before she could protest, I had grabbed her and was carrying her into the bathroom. I set her down in the shower. “Now, are you going to shower willingly, or am I going to have to stay and supervise?” She shook her head rapidly and I chuckled before leaving the bathroom. “I’m coming back in ten minutes. You better not still be sitting there.”

I went downstairs to find Alex and Jack with their new holiday Karaoke game, singing a duet which, to be honest, sounded like shit. I covered my ears and headed for the kitchen. Upon searching the cabinets, I found absolutely nothing I could fix for breakfast. How did Alex live?

I had a motive for wanting to keep Em distracted today. Well, apart from not wanting her to mope all day in her room. I wanted to keep her from thinking about wanting to be one of us. I knew, the more she thought about it, the more likely she was to sneak out and go to Zacky for help. I was determined that she would not have to suffer this. None of us were worth it.

“There's bound to be talk tomorrow-”

“Think of my life long sorrow-”

“At least there will be plenty implied-”

“If you caught pneumonia and died-”

“I really can't stay-”

“Get over that hold out-”

“Ohhh, baby it's cold outside.”

“Thank God, you’re done!” I exclaimed after Jack added a dramatic crescendo to the final off-key note. “Now, get in here!”

“Yes, your majesty!” came the eager reply. Jack and Alex noisily entered the kitchen, saluting me. I rolled my eyes.

“We’re taking Emerson to the mall to keep her mind off things. The last thing we want is for her to go running off to Zacky or to allow her to sit in her room depressed. So, you bozos need to get dressed.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” shouted Alex before running upstairs.

“Why are you being so caring?” Jack asked, leaning against the kitchen counter. “I hardly know you, and we’ve lived together for almost a year now. You’ve never cared about anything.”

“You’re wrong about that,” I sighed. “Honestly, Jack. I don’t think you need to worry about competition. She’s never had feelings for Pierre, he forced her into that. She thinks Syn is attractive, but she doesn’t like him, either, and she wanted Zacky to get with Frank.”

“And how does she feel about me?” he asked.

“Unsure,” I replied. “It was hard to see a lot about her feelings, because her hurt is blocking out everything else, but you’re a very prominent figure in her thoughts. You’ve got the best chance out of anyone. Plus, I saw something in her mind...”

“What did you see?” Jack asked sharply. I had never seen Jack so demanding.

“A memory, I think. It was her, with you somewhere. And I could feel a definite attraction. But you guys were so close, like friends. When was that?”

“It was...about seven years ago, I think.”

“Seven years? But I thought...” I saw it before I could even think to block it out. Jack relived the whole thing.

“I had a lot of fun today, Jack,” blushed a very young-looking Emerson. Jack smiled, taking her hand as they walked up an unfamiliar street.

“Me, too,” Jack said quietly. “I know this is sudden, but...Em, I really, really like you.”

“Careful, Alex might murder you,” Em laughed.

“I asked Alex before I asked you out,” he said. “I didn’t want him to kill me.”

“That’s good. I’d hate for my brother to kill a great guy like you.” They had stopped in front of a small house now, and Jack was holding both her hands.

“Em, I really like you. Do you rally like me?”

“You know, I do,” she smiled. Standing on her toes, she leaned in to kiss him. Then, they were interrupted as the front door swung open, scaring Jack and making him somewhat shove Em away.

“Oh, hi, Jack,” smiled an older man who must have been Daddy Gaskarth. I remembered that Em had grown up with Momma Gaskarth, while Alex lived with the dad. “Are you coming in?”

“Oh, no, Mr. G. I have to head over to Rian’s house,” he said.

“Well, okay then. Come on in, Em.” Mr. Gaskarth went back inside and Em started to follow. Then, she turned back and ran to Jack, standing on the front step so she didn’t have to stand on her toes, and kissed him lightly on the lips.

“See you tomorrow,” she said, giggling before turning and running back inside.

I should have gone inside, Jack thought.

Hours later, when it was dark out, Jack and the rest of All Time Low were taking a cookie break from their practicing, when Alex got a phone call. Jack was unconcerned, until he saw Alex’s face change dramatically. All the color went away and he looked faint.

“Okay, Mom. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“What’s going on?” Jack asked, alarmed.

“E-Em. She was...she snuck out and she was...drunk. She...she got in a wreck. They don’t...they don’t think she’s going to make it.”

Years or days could have passed, I wasn’t sure, but the four boys could be found nowhere but the hospital’s waiting room for a very long time.

“Family of Emerson Gaskarth?” called a doctor.

“Us,” Alex said shakily, standing up. His dad and mom were there, as well.

“She’s stable, for now. We fixed her up as best we could, but she’s suffered severe head trauma. Her brain may not be functional when she wakes up.”

“Oh, God!” sobbed Momma Gaskarth. Mr. Gaskarth reached for her, but she pushed him away, screaming- “This is all your fault! If I had been there, this wouldn’t have happened!” While the two of them screamed, Alex and Jack sneaked past them and into Em’s hospital room. There she was, looking absolutely...broken.


“Stop!” I shouted, desperate to separate my mind from Jack’s. Jack and I both gasped, the intense connection breaking. I was shaky from looking at something so emotional in Jack’s mind and, upon seeing Em, my own emotions hadn’t been able to stand it. Jack was staring at me, horrified at what had just happened.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know why I just...wow,” he stuttered.

“Tell me, Jack,” I said sharply. “What happened after...”

“I can’t-”

“I have to know.”

“She...” Jack hesitated. “She got better, but her memories were...they were completely gone.” My mouth was dry, so dry I couldn’t even form any words. Jack continued. “Her mom, -she was so mad- she wouldn’t let Em stay with her dad anymore. She took them to court while Em was still in the hospital. The court ruled that Mr. Gaskarth could keep Alex, but Em should stay with Momma Gaskarth in the city until such a time that her memories returned or she was able to take care of herself despite her...handicap.”

“And did she ever recover?”

“No. She didn’t even recognize me when she first came to the mansion. I was so shocked to see her, and I was scared to know if she wasn’t...”

“The same,” I finished for him. “I understand, Jack.”

“Don’t say anything to her, okay? She...she didn’t want anyone to know.”

“I understand,” I said, wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans. “Go on and get dressed, Jack. I’ll be up in a few minutes.”

“Are you in love with her?” he asked after a minute silence. I sighed.

“Yes.”

“I thought so.”

“Don’t worry, Jack. There’s no competition. I’m not going to...go for her. You’re free to do so, when she’s up to a relationship.” It killed me to say that, but he didn’t have to know that.

“Just be yourself.” We’ll let her chose.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“I don’t have any money, so this is kind of pointless,” Em said as we got out of the car at the outlet mall.

“It’s on me,” I smiled. “You just shop. If you want it, I’ll buy it.” She opened her mouth to protest, but I plowed on, “now, shall we be off?”

“Yeah! We’re off to see the wizard!” Jack shouted happily. Alex cheered, locking arms with Jack on his right and Em on his left. I latched onto Em’s other arm, chuckling at the boys’ antics: a bigger pair of fools just couldn’t be found. As we skipped through the outlet mall -earning many a stare- we stopped off at random stores, mostly ones I thought Em would like. My only rule was that she wasn’t allowed to buy anything ‘emo’, just to mix things up. I was going to make her look pretty, because girls who feel pretty just aren’t as depressed as girls who hate themselves, I’ve noticed. Alex and Jack made fools of themselves in Rue 21, digging through the piles of girl’s underwear, ultimately getting kicked out when Jack used a thong as a slingshot and assaulted an angry employee with it.

By lunch time, my wallet was alarmingly lighter than it had been in the morning.

“Good lord, Leto,” Alex said, looking at the numerous bags we were piling into the trunk. “How much did you spend?” I glanced over to Em, who was busy watching Jack poke a snail, and whispered the alarming total. “Sixteen-hundred dollars!” Alex practically yelled. I covered his mouth quickly, looking back at Em. She and Jack were in the heat of an argument over whether they could get the snail to fight a worm, so she hadn’t heard. “You’re crazy, man.”

“I know,” I sighed.

“So, what’s next?” Jack asked. I was glad that he seemed to be more at ease around Em now. I guess reliving those hard memories made him realize how much he loved her. When I heard his thoughts, I knew I was right.

“How about we head back and then help Em put up this assload of clothes,” I suggested.

“But that’s gonna take forever,” Jack whined.

“Quit complaining,” Em said, smacking him. He pouted all the way home. After we spent over an hour going through Em’s purchases (I was glad I’d kept her from looking at the prices, she’d have flipped out), Jack and Alex went downstairs while I sat down on Em’s bed with her to help her put her new earrings in her new jewelry box. “Thanks for paying for me to get my ears pierced.”

“Thanks for not freaking out,” I chuckled.

“Sorry, I’m not good with pain,” she shrugged. She had been scared shitless, actually, and nearly crushed my hand.

“That must have made it hard,” I muttered.

“Made what hard?” she asked. Shit, had I said that out loud?

“Nothing,” I said quickly. “I just remembered, I have something for you.” I reached into my pocket and pulled out a bag.

“When did you get this?” she asked.

“While you and Alex were getting kicked out of Victoria’s Secret.”

“Ah.” I handed her the small box and she looked at me curiously. “Oh, Jared,” she breathed when she opened it and saw the necklace.

“I hope you like it. I just thought it was cool, because your name starts with an E and...yeah.”

“It’s beautiful. Thank you, Jared,” she said, leaning over and hugging me. Her thank you was simple, but her thoughts gave away just how much it meant to her, coming from me. But why me? I caught myself, blocking my mind from hers. I wasn’t going to invade her mind like that. “Hey, Jared?”

“Yes?”

“Can you read my mind while I’m asleep?”

“I could, if I tried, but I won’t unintentionally do it like I would when you’re awake,” I said.

“Guys, come karaoke with us!” Alex shouted from downstairs.

“Okay!” Em replied, getting up and offering me her hand. I smiled slightly, taking her hand and allowing her to drag me downstairs.

Alex was lounging on the couch while Jack butchered ‘Gold Digger’. He didn’t know the words and he wasn’t a rapper.

“What the hell is this?”

“Glee, Singstar!” Alex shouted over Jack’s screaming.

“Sing!” Jack shouted, throwing the mic at Em as another song began to play. She, of course, was flawless, hitting all the high and low notes.

Don't tell me not to live,
Just sit and putter,
Life's candy and the sun's
A ball of butter.
Don't bring around a cloud
To rain on my parade

Don't tell me not to fly
I've simply got to.
If someone takes a spill,
It's me and not you.
Who told you you're allowed
To rain on my parade!

I'll march my band out,
I'll beat my drum,
And if I’m fanned out,
Your turn at bat, sir.
At least I didn't fake it.
Hat, sir, I guess I didn't make it!
But whether I’m the rose
Of sheer perfection,
Or freckle on the nose
Of life's complexion,
The cinder or the shiny apple of its eye,

http://lyricsmusicvideo.blogspot.com/2009/12/glee-cast-dont-rain-on-my-parade-lyrics.html

I gotta fly once,
I gotta try once,
Only can die once, right, sir?
Ooh, life is juicy,
Juicy, and you see
I gotta have my bite, sir!

Get ready for me, love,
’cause I’m a "comer,"
I simply gotta march,
My heart's a drummer.
Don't bring around a cloud
To rain on my parade!

I'm gonna live and live now,
Get what I want I know how,
One roll for the whole shebang,
One throw, that bell will go clang,
Eye on the target and wham
One shot, one gun shot, and bam
Hey, Mister Arnstein, here I am!

I'll march my band out,
I will beat my drum,
And if I’m fanned out,
Your turn at bat, sir,
At least I didn't fake it.
Hat, sir, I guess I didn't make it.
Get ready for me, love,
'cause I’m a "comer,"
I simply gotta march,
My heart's a drummer.
Nobody, no, nobody
Is gonna rain on my parade


The karaoke kept us occupied for a long time and we partied hard, until Em was completely worn out.

“I think the party’s over,” I chuckled as I looked around. Jack and Alex were passed out on the loveseat (I will remember this forever), and Em was sleeping peacefully on my shoulder. I smiled, gently kissing her forehead.

“Mm, Jared,” she sighed softly. Oh, man, she wasn’t asleep. Slowly, I got up and carried her up to her room. “Thank you, Jared,” she murmured as I gently lowered her onto her bed. I ignored the small thrill I got every time she said my name. “Thank you for everything today.”

“No problem.”

“I’m sorry I spent your money.”

“I wanted to. You deserved it.”

“No, I don’t,” she replied, reaching up and brushing her fingers against my cheek. “But thank you anyway.” Her hand moved to the back of my neck and she sat up, pulling my head down in the process. Then, ever so gently, she brushed a soft kiss on the corner of my lips. Then she slumped back against the pillows, fast asleep. I smiled softly, lightly ghosting my fingers over the spot as I straightened up. Once I was out of her room, I frowned. I was getting in over my head...

...but somehow, I was okay with that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 2,699
Running Total: 31,571


Outfit Before Shopping
Outfit After Shopping