Kings and Queens of Promise

Getaway.

“Who knew moving was such hard work?” I sighed, leaning against the couch.

“Hard work? You haven’t done anything. Pierre won’t let you,” David chuckled.

“I still can’t believe you’re being nice to him,” Alex grumbled.

“Alex, it’s been almost four months: it’s time to move on,” I sighed, moving to lean on Alex.

“Between Jared, Brian, and Pierre, you aren’t gonna have to lift a finger in the next six months,” David laughed.

“This is all just so surreal. I mean, who knew Syn would ever even consider giving up his room?” said Jared as he walked past with two of my guitars. I chuckled and sat down on the couch next to Lily, who was peacefully snoozing.

“It is a bit weird. It seems that Em’s presence has brought on change for everyone,” David said. “Pierre fatherly? Syn unselfish? Jared sociable? Zacky pleasant? Jack hyper?”

“Jack used to be hyper all the time,” Alex said. “He just stopped when he got his powers.”

“I still don’t see how one day you can be normal and the next you realize, holy shit, I can turn invisible.”

“It was pretty weird for me, hearing a Jack, but not seeing a Jack.” As they talked, I looked out toward the pool house, where Zacky was now living with Frank. I got up, stretching as I headed toward the lanai.

“Speaking of which, I’m gonna go see Frank and Zacky. Wanna ask them about their relationship,” I said, grinning at the weirded-out expressions the two boys now wore. I hurried out to the pool house, seeing Frank playing with a couple of hamsters. “Frank, what are you doing?”

“Playing with Snowball and Two-Tails,” he replied.

“Two-Tails?”

“Yeah. He’s got these two little tufts of fur that look like tails.”

“Okay then,” I said, sitting down in front of him. “Where’s Zacky?”

“In the bedroom,” said Frank, looking up at me.

“How’s it going?” I asked, grinning.

“Great, actually. He’s an amazing boyfriend, plus he’s great in bed.”

“Frank!” I exclaimed, covering my ears. “I didn’t need to hear that!”

“So, I’m gonna be an uncle,” Frank said randomly. “Can I feel?”

“Sure, but he’s not doing anything yet. I’m only 16 weeks,” I said, feeling slightly awkward as Frank touched my stomach.

“How big is she?”

“According to the internet, he should be about 3 inches long.”

“Wow. That’s tiny,” he said. “What are you going to do when the baby’s born?”

“I have no clue,” I said after a long moment of thought.

“If you want...Zacky and I could take her.”

“Oh...well, I dunno Frank...are you and Zacky ready for something like that?” I asked.

“We’ve known each other three years and we’ve practically been in a relationship for the past year, as Syn says.”

“Well, Frank...I dunno. It just depends. I still haven’t decided if I’m going to keep it or not.”

“I don’t want to tell you what to do,” Frank said slowly, “but I think that it should depend on what happens with you and Pierre. If you guys can’t work things out, then that should be a sign you two can’t raise a kid together.”

“You’re right,” I sighed. “I’m not ready for this at all, Frank.”

“I know, Em,” he said, wrapping his arm around me and giving me a gentle squeeze. “I have faith in you.”

“I should probably get back. Jared freaks out when I’m around Zacky too long,” I said, standing up and wiping my wet eyes.

“Why?”

“Because, he thinks I’m going to ask Zack to give me powers,” I said.

“I understand that,” Frank said quietly. “To have an excuse to stay here, right?”

“Exactly,” I breathed. “Did you...?”

“Yes. Don’t you notice how green the grass is, even in the winter? And how spring flowers bloom in the fall? What made you change your mind?”

“I have all the reason to stay right here,” I replied, patting my swollen stomach. I left the pool house, but didn’t go back inside. I was suddenly overcome by emotions. Frank had said it right: What was I going to do? Frustrated, I went to my motorcycle, not even bothering with a jacket as I kicked it into gear and flew down the drive. I heard someone calling my name, but I kept going.

It took me about half an hour to get to the airport, where I was lucky enough to see the perfect flight getting ready to board. I bought a ticket and boarded the plane. I stared out the window, tears filling my eyes. I had to see my Mom. I needed some time away from Pierre and Brian and Jack and even Alex...

“Is this seat taken?” asked a voice next to me. I looked up into his blue eyes and sighed softly. He sat down and held open his arms, inviting me in. I leaned into him, dropping an ‘I love you’. “I love you, too, Em,” Jared replied, holding me tight. He looked past me, out the window at the quickly shrinking airport below. “Everything’s gonna be okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 850
Running Total: 42,268

Definitely the shortest chapter in this whole thing. Haha. Dang.

~Daffodillyric~
Outfit