Status: Completed

I Am Invincible

Six

-*~- Two months later -~*-

Two months of being Emilie’s ‘pretend boyfriend’ and I’m ready to commit myself into the Insane Asylum. The girls and guys that I’m being forced to hang around with and pretend to like are complete psychos. They care about no-one but themselves and it’s impossible to have a conversation with them that doesn’t involve sex, trashy celebrities, crap music, sex, how awesome they are, sex, how much money they have, and sex. Oh, and also in the girls’ case, how entirely gorgeous the actors in ‘Twilight’ are especially *dreamy sigh* Robert Pattinson. Now, I’m not a girl so I’m apparently not allowed to have an opinion because of the biological difference between me and the RPattz lovers, but I think the girls that Emilie desperately wants to be friends with are blind. Seriously? That dude is ugly. Get some glasses people.

But anyway, moving on, there have obviously been some riveting conversations that I’ve had to sit through while pretending to be head-over-heels in love with my best friend. Or the girl who was my best friend. Emilie has changed so much in just two months, and let me tell you, it’s not for the best. To put it bluntly, she’s become a clone of Sarah. She’s like...like Cady Heron in ‘Mean Girls’, when she becomes like Regina George. Just like that. And it’s making me hate having to hang out with her. More often than not, our hanging out becomes a make out sesh (insinuated by Emilie) and ends with me shoving her off my lap (where she always ends up), wiping my mouth and giving her a ‘WTF is your problem?’ look after she crosses the line and goes for the button on my jeans. The kissing I can handle, but I do not want to go any further with the girl I still consider to be my best friend even though she’s turned into a duplicate of the biggest bitch in our grade.

~~~

During a particularly boring conversation one lunch, I decided that I needed to get away from the group of wannabes before I went permanently insane. Emilie was sitting on my lap and I had my arms around her to prevent her from falling off me. I removed my arms and gave her a gentle push on her back, signalling that I wanted her to move. She stood up and looked at me with a confused expression. I smiled at her and looked up a little bit to meet her eyes (I had grown a bit about a month ago; I’m now 5’0” and weigh 83 lbs, but I still hadn’t caught up to Emilie yet, in the height department at least). I explained that I had to go to the bathroom and that I’d be back a bit later. I went to walk around her and she caught my arm. I sighed quietly, before I turned to let Emilie kiss me for a couple of seconds. I pulled away and hugged her tightly (see, this is the kind of thing I have to put up with every day; all this kissing and hugging crap, because if we don’t act all lovey-dovey all the time, the rumours start. It’s crazy).

“See you later, babe,” I murmured to her, loud enough for everyone else to hear as well, before letting her go and making my way towards the bathrooms.
I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. Why can’t Emilie just be my best friend again and forget all these bitches? I’ve always known that Em has always wanted to be popular, but this is just ridiculous! I really don’t understand peoples’ need to be popular. Why can’t it be enough to be yourself and be liked for who you are? That’s always what Declan has done. He has never changed for anyone else, and everyone loves him. Maybe I can get him to talk some sense into Emilie, get him to tell her that she doesn’t need to pretend to be someone else to be popu-

I was dragged out of my thoughts by tripping over something and landing face-first on the hard concrete. Luckily, I’d been quick enough to throw my hands out in front of me to prevent me from breaking my nose, but when I touched my fingers to my face and pulled it away, there was blood on my fingertips and the pressure of my fingers made my cheek bone hurt. Oh fabulous, I bet it looks like I’ve been punched in the face. Good going, Cameron. How exactly are you planning to explain to your ‘girlfriend’ that you tripped over your own clumsy feet?

But then I realised that I hadn’t tripped over my own feet, but somebody else’s. The red-haired girl who looked a few years older than me was freaking out above me, asking frantically if I was okay. I replied that I was fine, and then picked myself off the ground, to inspect my body to make sure that I was, in fact, fine. My hands were a bit scraped and my cheek hurt, but that was about it. I usually managed to hurt myself a lot more thoroughly than that so I was pretty good. While I was thinking about this, the girl pulled me into a tight hug shouting “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry” into my ear. When she let me go, I smiled at her and told her there was no harm done. That was when I noticed who else was a part of the scene that had just played out. The black-haired boy was sitting on the bench right near where the girl was when I tripped over her, and had a look of shock on his face as if he couldn’t quite believe that his friend made me fall flat on my face. He caught my eye and grimaced slightly when he saw my bleeding cheek. I shot him a little half-smile and shrugged my shoulders, blushing. Geez, not the freaking blushing again. Pull yourself together, I scolded myself.

“Hey Cameron,” he greeted. “You should really go to the nurse and get that-” he nodded towards my face “-cleaned up.” I was about to reply with a ‘no, I’ll just clean it up in the bathroom’, when the girl shrieked “That’s Cameron!? Oh Em Gee. I just killed the guy you---.”
Zach stopped whatever she was about to say by rushing over and covering her mouth with his hand and saying fiercely, “Shut UP Rachael!”
“Oops. Sorry. My bad,” Rachael said, looking up at Zach through her black-framed glasses. She then turned and looked at me, “Zacky’s right you know. You should get that cleaned up so they can get any gravel and stuff out. C’mon, we’ll take you.” Then she grabbed one of my hands and one of Zach’s and dragged us both to the nurse’s office, where my face was cleaned and band-aided up. I spent the rest of my lunch hanging out with Zach and Rachael, actually being a part of an intelligent, entertaining conversation for a change, and it wasn’t until the bell went that I remembered that I was meant to be back to my ‘girlfriend’ ages before. Emilie wasn’t all that impressed that I’d managed to trip over something and “ruin my perfect face” but she let it go when I kissed her hard and long to get her to shut up and forget about why she was yelling at me.

We were late for class, but it wouldn’t have mattered if we’d been there 10 minutes before it was due to start. I didn’t learn anything. Once again, my mind was swimming, and I spent the hour trying to figure out a logical explanation as to why Zach made my heart leap out of my chest and attack him every time he looked at me, talked to me or smiled at me during the lunch period we had just spent talking and laughing with Rachael like we’d known each other for years. He’s making me go crazy; maybe I really do need to go to the Insane Asylum after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?
hugs.from.holly :O what would Zach think? I'd say he wouldn't be very impressed :P
Catch. You. Now It does seem like that doesn't it. And you're right, but it turns out okay later, she goes back to normal :)

Rachael

I've put some of the main characters in the 'Characters' section up the top, too :)